Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #15

Well, then I guess that is my problem. I've never sold anything online before and my buying online has been limited to books for my kids or an occasional wine basket for a friend. So, no, I haven't been exposed to any of those things. I also didn't wire the money to an individual. I wired it to Amazonpayments.com or so I thought. My reason for my posting on this site was to inform, and that was all.
radar4simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, I found the previous thread where I posted about the Amazon Simple Pay, it's the 6th one down HERE
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar4simons View Post
Well, then I guess that is my problem. I've never sold anything online before and my buying online has been limited to books for my kids or an occasional wine basket for a friend. So, no, I haven't been exposed to any of those things. I also didn't wire the money to an individual. I wired it to Amazonpayments.com or so I thought. My reason for my posting on this site was to inform, and that was all.
Thank you for sharing your story; maybe it will help others. Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Well, I found the previous thread where I posted about the Amazon Simple Pay, it's the 6th one down HERE
Sounds very similar which echos the important message. Don't pay ahead of time!!!!! Anyone reading this thread who has paid ahead of time for their RV, has dodged a bullet and were simply lucky that they didn't get scammed. Its very common.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #19

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Sounds very similar which echos the important message. Don't pay ahead of time!!!!! Anyone reading this thread who has paid ahead of time for their RV, has dodged a bullet and were simply lucky that they didn't get scammed. Its very common.
I very much agree with the above statement. To relate my latest, and ongoing buying experience;

I contacted a well known and reliable retailer, Ford Motor Company, and worked with a member of their sales staff to find the vehicle I was looking for. Upon locating it, I put a payment down to hold it. This earnest money was $500, on a $62,000 vehicle, or less than 1%.

If somebody requires a massive payment before you can even inspect the purchase, alarm bells should be ringing loudly.

I am very sorry to hear how the OP was taken in. I hope her tale will serve to keep somebody else from making the same mistake, and I hope they can arrest and jail the criminals involved.
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
I have to agree with Radar I buy stuff all over the world all the time and I've used escrow accts many times. This one is very convincing with invoices and talking to many different people at Amazon they had me convinced. It was when he said rig was in Texas but listing said Connecticut then when I went to my bank they said to me Amazon doesn't do this type of transaction. Then I hit the brakes and read her post. This is scam is well put together and many people involved.
Thank you again Radar

Ken
Ken326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With all of the cyber-fraud out there and new schemes being developed every day, you cannot trust anyone. It is sad, but you have to look at every deal with a jaded eye.

For any type transaction, I would first go to my personal bank and ask for their advice on how to best handle the deal to protect yourself as well as the other party.

I would never deal with any off-shore bank or person.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have to agree with Radar I buy stuff all over the world all the time and I've used escrow accts many times. This one is very convincing with invoices and talking to many different people at Amazon they had me convinced. It was when he said rig was in Texas but listing said Connecticut then when I went to my bank they said to me Amazon doesn't do this type of transaction. Then I hit the brakes and read her post. This is scam is well put together and many people involved.
Thank you again Radar

Ken
The scammers have to be as convincing as the real deal to be successful. So never for a second let the fact that something sounds convincing be a factor.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Radar....,
Please report the scam to the authorities.

Report Scam
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

While there is a subsidiary of Amazon.com known as Amazon Payments, there is no amazonpayments.com website associated with them, nor do they handle this sort of thing. This is just another example of a scam that uses a well-known, respectable-sounding, name in their advertising or website to entice you to believe they are legit.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #25
Community Moderator

This kind of scam is everywhere nothing new. If you go to craigslist you will see a lot of "super super deal" in car or other major items. Some even claim they are military personnel being deployed... i bet there must be some who dont use their brains letting them get their ways. never use "ebay payment" "amazon payment" (there is no such a thing) "lawyer as escrow"... never wire money for such purchases by western union.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #26

I wish my bank would have alerted me to this potential fraud, but nobody said a thing. Thanks for all the posts. I sure wish I would have known about this website earlier. I have actually filed FBI reports in three states; filed a report with my local police and the police department in Victoria, TX; filed a report with Texas Atty General, and the FTC. My local police dept did the best they could, but they don't have jurisdiction in TX. Trying to get Texas PD to pick up their feet and investigate has been a waste of time. FBI says there's not enough $$ to warrant the resources....at this point, there's not much more I can do.
radar4simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #27

Radar,
Sorry to hear you got scammed and I hope you get your money back and the xxx goes to jail. Thanks for sharing this. Your bad day may save someone from having the same.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #28

Current AARP magazine has article about scammers.
Con Artist Tricks Revealed, Former Scammer Tells All - AARP
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote