Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Poor spelling would only make me wonder why they don't have spell check. If a price is to good that could raise a flag.
Agreed, but a spell check wouldn't have picked up"

"CUMMINGS"
"DUCKED"
or "TO MUCH TOO LIST"

But you're definitely right, misspelling and bad grammar does not mean it's not legitimate.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #114

My concern was more with the way a new ad appears every few days at a lower price and completely re-worded with a different location city. Just manipulating Craigs List, or is there more to it?

And for the serious conspiracy theorists, is that a dent or a bullet hole in the basement hatch, port side, midship?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #115

Okay, okay, I'm sorry for posting.

First, you didn't confirm if it is the same unit I referenced in the attachment to my last post.

Second, you're actually hijacking this thread away from the OP's concern about Simon's Trucks and the premise of what happened to them.

I'll butt out of this thread now.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #116

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Are you talking about the one in the CL ad that is attached below?

We're not following it but not only is the price suspicious but the we noticed a lot of quirky wording in the ad itself.

"Cummings" instead of Cummins.

"Ducked AC"

"FRIDEGE"

"TO MUCH TOO LIST" instead of 'too much to list'

Doesn't mean that it is not necessarily legitimate but it does make you wonder.
I see that here too. Seems correct diction and spelling is not taught anymore.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #117

Quote:
Okay, okay, I'm sorry for posting.

First, you didn't confirm if it is the same unit I referenced in the attachment to my last post.

Second, you're actually hijacking this thread away from the OP's concern about Simon's Trucks and the premise of what happened to them.

I'll butt out of this thread now.
Amanda,

First, my iPad does not show an attachment to your post.

Second, hijacking a thread on fraudulent RV ads by discussing a questionable ad???
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #118

I'm sorry, TwelveVolt, if I sounded a bit testy. As I say, it was my mistake to be posting here in this thread as I really am not contributing anything valuable to this discussion.

I shouldn't have responded to your post mentioning the 1998 American Dream because I had no idea what unit you were referring to since you didn't post a link. Those who did know what unit you were referring to are the ones that should be responding, not me. My apologies.

And, in my opinion, you really should be starting a separate thread on "fraudulent RV ads" or "unethical tactics at dealerships" as this thread specifically was about a fraudulent transaction dealing with Simon's Trucks and the dilemma that the OP went through. To me it's taking the topic away from the original premise when you first posted about ethical behavior at dealerships. [ moderator edit ] Again, I apologize.

As a lot of participants here know, I tend to be really off base sometimes and this is one of them. I'm sorry, TwelveVolt. Now I'll stop. Carry on, folks!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #119

Amanda has a valid point.

The broader topic of how the scammers work and the methods they use is the main point of this thread. "Simon's" is one name of many and by now has probably had 10 more since the OP started this thread.

Discussing specific individual ads is pointless as they are all over the place and you could post a thousand a day if you wanted. Discussion about the ways scammers are operating and their latest methods can benefit anyone in the market for a Motorhome.
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #120

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Are you talking about the one in the CL ad that is attached below?
I'm pretty sure the 1998 American Dream for sale in FL is legitimate. His RV Trader price is $36,500 and the Craigs List price is $32,500. Average retail bluebook is $22,960 and low retail is $19,060. This coach is a non-slide model and these coaches took a large hit in value a few years ago. I would guess wholesale trade in on this coach is under $15,000.

The scam ads usually list a $100,000-$200,000 coach for half price.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #121

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I'm pretty sure the 1998 American Dream for sale in FL is legitimate. His RV Trader price is $36,500 and the Craigs List price is $32,500. Average retail bluebook is $22,960 and low retail is $19,060. This coach is a non-slide model and these coaches took a large hit in value a few years ago. I would guess wholesale trade in on this coach is under $15,000.

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #122

Since I am the one that started the thread, bmacrc46 is correct, my intent was to inform everyone and anyone that would listen about the method of the scam. Simon's Trucks is long gone but I'm sure there is a new company to take its place!! The modus operandi of the scam will be the same, 3rd party escrow acct, i.e., Amazon Payments, PayPal, etc., holding the money and will not release until the buyer has inspected the unit, yada yada yada. I just wanted people to be aware that these are not methods of payment for a motorhome and if the seller insists on that method of payment, have the rig inspected by an inspector of YOUR choice BEFORE wiring any money, as I wish I had done. So I encourage anybody to post new methods and ways that the scammers are using to steal our money!! The best defense is a good offense....(I think that's the way the saying goes!)

I also want to express my sincere appreciation to this website for allowing me to bring this subject to the forefront. I have actually been kicked off other forums for trying to inform the RV public about these scams. So I really appreciate iRV protecting our First Amendment!! God only knows that the scammers use the Internet to ravage us from our money!!!
radar4simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #123

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar4simons View Post
Since I am the one that started the thread, bmacrc46 is correct, my intent was to inform everyone
I also want to express my sincere appreciation to this website for allowing me to bring this subject to the forefront. I have actually been kicked off other forums for trying to inform the RV public about these scams. So I really appreciate iRV protecting our First Amendment!! God only knows that the scammers use the Internet to ravage us from our money!!!
i dont think it was so much protecting your 1st amendment rights as posting somthing of value and on topic
brianj
Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I just wanted people to be aware that these are not methods of payment for a motorhome and if the seller insists on that method of payment, have the rig inspected by an inspector of YOUR choice BEFORE wiring any money, as I wish I had done
I the seller insists on anything out of the norm just tell them good luck selling and move on the to the next one.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #125
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacrc46 View Post
Amanda has a valid point.

The broader topic of how the scammers work and the methods they use is the main point of this thread. "Simon's" is one name of many and by now has probably had 10 more since the OP started this thread.

Discussing specific individual ads is pointless as they are all over the place and you could post a thousand a day if you wanted. Discussion about the ways scammers are operating and their latest methods can benefit anyone in the market for a Motorhome.
I would have to disagree. If any of us spot a scam, posting it helps. If one of our members is saved from falling victim, it has helped. We also ALL learn how these people are operating and what tactics they use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post

This is only one of the dumb ones because they are not smart enough to realize we all see a "too good to be true" ad.

I actually just ran across an ad on RV Registry that showed my old RV and the photos from the guy I bought it off of 2 years ago. It was sold in BC to me then I sold it to a guy from Alberta last year. This ad was from Roaoke VA. For sale - 2000 Winnebago 35U - $40,000. The price isn't unrealistic and I'm sure someone will fall victim. I reported the ad to RV Registry. I will look up the ad and do as someone suggested and call it "Scam Alert". Here is a link to the one I'll Use.

Used 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U for Sale | RVRegistry.com
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote