Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #1

Inverter

Hello , new to motor homes and just bought a 1998 Discovery fleetwood , on a control panel by the fridge, is the inverter supposed to be on or off while driving ? .... And in the electrical compartment outside , is the switch supposed to be on or off , don't understand the whole charging/battery/electrical system ... And everyone makes it seem easy.. Being that they are experienced and I'm not .. Reason for asking is i think alternator is going out .. just making sure im not doing something wrong Thanks
Rcamacho26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What model inverter do you have? Do you have a manual for it? That will tell you which way to have it.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #3

Our Fleetwood Revolution everything is on and sometimes the genny also.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOk80 View Post
Our Fleetwood Revolution everything is on and sometimes the genny also.
Always on or on while driving only?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
What model inverter do you have? Do you have a manual for it? That will tell you which way to have it.
Just got it so looking through all the books in it thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #6

On our 03 revolution we only have the inverter on when we want to use it to power 110v appliances when we are dry camping or underway and don't want to run the generator.

If you are referring to the master on/off switch (ours is by the front door) it should always be on when using the coach so that all systems are powered and the batteries are charged by the alternator.
dperetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #7

All this may depend on model and usage but I'll answer on what I know of my own rig. Keeping the inverter on or off while underway I think will depend on what is being run off of it. Are you going to have anything plugged into inverter-supplied outlets that you need running while you are going down the road? If you have no use to run anything off the inverter while underway, then there really isn't a need to have it on. If you are using things while under way, then you'll obviously need it on. On our coach, both the coach and chassis batteries are being charged when the engine is running so the inverter/charger can be off if not needed for anything.

The "switch in the electrical compartment outside" is something you'll have to investigate what it is for. If it is a chassis battery disconnect switch, for instance, then you'd obviously would not want to turn it off. Do you know what the switch is for? I suppose it could be a coach battery disconnect and if so, you'd want that on while underway I would think.

Yes, if you can study your manuals, some of the information you're looking for could be there or maybe somebody with the same make or model can help you more than I am. *hah*

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #8

I just took a quick look at your owner's manual and it says that the rear TV, one receptacle, VCR and front TV only are powered by the inverter. So unless you are using those things or have something plugged into that "one receptacle" that needs power while you are underway, you can probably leave the inverter off.

I didn't find the answer to what the switch in the electrical outside is for, however. It may be part of the chassis and therefore information on it will be in your chassis manual.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #9

Thank you very much, gonna try and see if it works correctly as should..very helpful
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dperetti View Post
...On our 03 revolution we only have the inverter on when we want to use it to power 110v appliances when we are dry camping or underway and don't want to run the generator...
Same here, we have a separate switch for the inverter to turn it on/off.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #11

Ok thanks , it's all making more sense to me know .. All feedback is greatly appreciated
Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcamacho26 View Post
Hello , new to motor homes and just bought a 1998 Discovery fleetwood , on a control panel by the fridge, is the inverter supposed to be on or off while driving ? .... And in the electrical compartment outside , is the switch supposed to be on or off , don't understand the whole charging/battery/electrical system ... And everyone makes it seem easy.. Being that they are experienced and I'm not .. Reason for asking is i think alternator is going out .. just making sure im not doing something wrong Thanks
My inverter is a Freedom 20, like this: http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Dis...series%201.pdf

If yours is the same that manual will answer most questions.
Note that the switch on the face of the unit must be OFF at all times if you have a remote panel.
When set properly mine has been trouble free for 17 years, (130k miles).
I have seldom used the inverter function but the 3 stage charger is working any time I have shore power, (including when the coach is in storage).
Some owners leave theirs ON nearly all the time. There is no wrong way.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter