Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Inverter and EMS

I have an issue with my EMS if I plug into 30 amp the ems shows GEN and I cant change. I talked to intellitec he told me to disconnect board to reset otherwise he thought the board being bad. This was couple months ago I kind of just let it go as everything was working. Now present day if I turn on inverter even with coach running I get an error and it shuts down. Also I noticed I cannot start my gen with the button on dash only with the onan control panel. I can shut it off at the dash. Can all this be related to this board?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2016, 06:56 PM   #2

You know, I am always getting confused with the acronyms used on this site - is there a glossary somewhere? What is an EMS?
I notice that Intellitec has it's name on many devices in my coach and I have talked to Mark there several times - seems to be a sharp guy that has been there 30 years or has that experience, and he would talk to me as long as I needed. I followed his lead on troubleshooting my charging problem until we could go no further, since he would need to be standing beside me. I figured out the problem and had the courtesy to call him back and close the loop, so he could add to his experience also.
Maybe explain what you are talking about a little more - seems like maybe there are a couple different things happening here unrelated or maybe related.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
What does the EMS do if you are plugged into a 50 amp circuit??

Did you try the reset as per Intellitec.

Did you check the 3 or 5 amp fuse on the board.

When you start the generator does the EMS recognize that the generator is running. The generator sends a 12 volt signal to the EMS board that controls this function, you should be able to check the voltage in one of the connectors.

If all of these check out then it could be your board. I had a lightening strike take mine out a couple years ago. In my case the load meter didn't show anything. I bypassed the EMS board until I could get a replacement, I bought mine from M&M. I had to upgrade to a newer board and load meter, cost was ~$450.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
You know, I am always getting confused with the acronyms used on this site - is there a glossary somewhere? What is an EMS?

energy management system (EMS)
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:19 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
If I run generator everything works fine. If I plug into 50amp service everything is good. I never noticed if it recognized the general running
Old 12-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

GEN should show if the genset is running. Does it? And did you try to reset the EMS as suggested? Usually just turning the the Battery Disconnect switch OFF for 20 seconds is sufficient to remove 12v power from the EMS and cause it to reset when power is restored.

The GEN status is driven by +12v power on one of the control lines that feed into the EMS unit (behind the circuit breaker panel). It is usually wired to the genset remote start switch and it is the way the EMS learns that the genset is running so it can manage the power load correctly. If some other 12v circuit was accidentally wired (or shorted) to that line, the EMS will think the genset is on.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:53 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me tell you a story... When my RV was new, I had a problem playing DVD's direct to the MAIN TV, now they are supposed to come in on either A/V 1 or A/V 2 but I got sound,,,, no video.

Well finally I managed to get eyes on the connection panel, and after I recovered from LAMO, I accessed the connection panel and moved the VIDEO lead from VIDEO OUT, to the same column as the audio leads.

After that and untill I upgraded to a Flat Screen Digital able.. It worked perfectly.. The new one does too.

There is a moral in the above story.....

IN case you missed it.. Some jerk, messed up the wiring at the factory.

Tags
ems, inverter