Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #1

Inverter/Charger Question

I am in a 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, and have a inverter/charger. If I am on shore power, will the i/c automatically kick in and run the a/c and refrigerator in the event of a power loss? The manual is not very helpful.... I'm wondering if there is a way to set it for this eventuality in case I am gone for a few days.
TommyHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 08:33 AM   #2

Questions ?

Is your coach equipped with a residential fridge ?
How many batteries in your coach battery bank ?
What is the size of your inverter/charger ? 2000 Watt ? Larger?

If you have a RV fridge , the shore power being out , should make the fridge control, switch to propane operation. when the control is set to " Auto ".
If you only have 4 , 6 volt batteries in your coach battery bank , those 4 batteries would only support one air conditioner operation for a few hours, so the A/C being wired through the inverter would be doubtful .
If your coach isn't wired to power one A/C , then a re-wiring of the A/C, installation of a larger inverter, and more batteries , would be required
Old 12-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
No with your standard coach the inverter will never run the a/c and with a gas refer as said if on auto it will switch to propane .. assuming you have 12 volts to the control board. If it's been converted to residential electric .. it depends on how they converted it.
To run the a/c with power outage you may have, and would need a AGS ( auto generator start ) and have it set to come on to replace the shore power under certain conditions.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHarris View Post
I am in a 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, and have a inverter/charger. If I am on shore power, will the i/c automatically kick in and run the a/c and refrigerator in the event of a power loss? The manual is not very helpful.... I'm wondering if there is a way to set it for this eventuality in case I am gone for a few days.
It will never ever run the ac but it will run the fridge as long as the fridge circuit runs through the inverter; inverter must be on for this to take place most people leave the inverter on in case of sp power failure
T o check it out turn on inverter and shut off SP and measure for voltage at the fridge 120V outlet. However as others said if its a LPG fridge it will switch to LPG automatically
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #5

The remote control panel shows AGS, but I don't know if that necessarily means I have that option - I'll have to test that. The manual says that with both the inverter and charger LEDs on, the inverter will automatically supply AC to the loads if shore or generator power is lost. I guess this would include the fridge if set on electric power. If set on AU, I assume it would automatically go to LP.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #6

So - I selected Inverter and Charger when I posted earlier. Both LEDs illuminated - and a fast blink on the inverter, which the manual talks about. Now, the LEDs are off and display says Charger Standby...?
Old 12-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #7

Quote:
So - I selected Inverter and Charger when I posted earlier. Both LEDs illuminated - and a fast blink on the inverter, which the manual talks about. Now, the LEDs are off and display says Charger Standby...?
go to inverter and push reset button before going any further
I assume your pluged in and the batterys are charged?
If not pluged in then the charger will obviously be on stand by
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #8

my Magnum remote panel shows 'Float Charging', 'Bulk Charging', or similar when I am plugged in, or the Generator is running, and the Charger is on.
Charger Standby sounds more like it is not sensing any Shore or Generator power, but is standing by waiting since you have it turned on...

The AGS, designed to turn the Generator on automatically for either Low Battery voltage or High Temperature reading within the coach, should be set from the Inverter Panel, or similar panel. The AGS setting has to be 'Enabled', and the voltage or temperature setting to such that it will come on automatically when needed. The panel may also have a 'Test' mode which will test the AGS to see if it will start the generator right then, which should run for a minute or two and then shut off.
You'll also have the 'Run Time' for the AGS which tells it how long to run before it shuts down, usually 30minutes, 1hr, 2hr, etc.

If you are in Charleston on Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll be in the area with my own coach and can stop by and look it over with you... : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #9

Plugged in, but power out right now and on generator power.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Plugged in, but power out right now and on generator power.

Thanks, Mister T, but heading to Florida for a few days.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tommy......Your Magnum Inverter/Charger has a button to turn the inverter ON and OFF and one to put the charger in Standby. It also has AGS. There should be a small black box, up high, in the passenger side rear bay. It says Magnum and has some LEDs. It's part of your AGS.

First off, lets discuss the inverter. It sounds like you still have a Norcold 4 door that runs on propane or electric. If you leave it on AUTOMATIC, it will automatically go to propane if you lose shore power. So, it should always be left in that position, unless you're connected to a minimal power source like 20 amps (some old parks or at someone's home). Then you might want to turn the refer to PROPANE only, to give you more amps for other uses. (This keeps the refer from using some of your 20 amps when power is limited).

For many of us, we now have the residential refers and leave the inverter on all the time. This makes for a seamless transition if shore power is lost. Many also leave their AGS on. If shore power fails while away from the coach, the batteries will power the inverter until they get low and then the generator will start. A cycle that can repeat until you run out of fuel.

In your situation, you can leave the inverter ON or OFF since your refer will switch to propane. I leave mine on all the time for my refer, but also for another reason. If your watching TV at night, and especially if you're watching satellite TV, the inverter will seamlessly provide power to your entertainment equipment if there is a power outage. This prevents the satellite receiver from shutting down and having to go through startup.

If you're going to park the coach for a long period of time, you'll want to turn the inverter off to save battery power. When the inverter is ON, but not being used, it goes to sleep. It still draws some power, but not as much.

When you push the Charger button, it moves it from Charging to Standby. Yours should be left in the Charge position at all times. I can only think of one reason to move the charger to Standby. As discussed above, you can occasionally be in a park with limited amperage. So.....let's say your in a park with only 30 amps and it's a 100 degrees outside. Your two A/C units require between 12-15 amps each to start and run. Doing the math tells us they will use all of your available amperage, leaving nothing else for things like your refer and your charger, a big amp draw when running. By turning your refer to propane and the charger to STANDBY, you free up those amps for the A/C units. Keep in mind though, you'll have to do some power management. That means when it cools down in the evening, you turn off one A/C and turn the charger back on so it can catch up.

I know this might be a little basic, so I hope I didn't offend you.

I just saw your additional post that you're plugged in and no power. Your Magnum inverter has two circuit breakers built in. Go take a look at the inverter, should be in the bay near your right rear wheel. There are two push button breakers. Make sure that neither of them have popped. Push to reset.

When I had my Diplomat, if I had a power outage while on shore power, I checked for the problem by going to the inverter circuit breakers first (usually the culprit), then I would check the breakers at the shore connection since I was outside. If still no power, I would check the main breakers and the GFI circuits.

If I loss power while running my generator, the problem was usually the circuit breaker on the nose of the generator.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #12

That's great information - thanks!

Right now I have no LP, so Norcold fridge is set for electric only. Will the inverter pick that up too?
Old 12-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #13

Incidentally, today's power outage is a planned outage for some maintenance in the area - nothing to do with the motor home. It made me think about power management, though, thus my interest in learning more about the inverter.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #14

I don't se the small black box in the inverter bay - guess that means I don't have the AGS option?

Tags
inverter