Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Inverter Failure

My coach has finally been made whole!

While we were en route to Florida - our MagnaSine MS2812 (which provides inverter and charging functionality) slowly died. The initial symptom was that the batteries would not charge from the generator - but would charge when the coach engine was running. Next, we realized that we weren't getting 110V power - even when connected to 50 amp service.

Knowing we had a significant issue - we pulled into General RV in Jacksonville on Sunday evening (1/15) - and were lucky enough that they were able to squeeze us into their schedule on Monday (1/16) to diagnose the issue. However, we quickly determined that our extended warranty provider would not authorize payment for the replacement of the failed unit - since it is a "repairable" item. They would however pay for the repairs - and pointed us to Marine Services International (a factory authorized repair center).

We completed our trip - driving from Jacksonville to Flagler Beach (roughly 15 miles from MSI (who are located in Ormond Beach). MSI was out Tuesday (1/17) and pulled the failed unit. They were able to "hardwire" the coach so that we had 110V service from the 50 amp campground electric.

MSI determined that the "AC board" had failed - and replaced that board from parts that they had in stock. However, during testing a "FET board" also failed. The failure of the second board however required that replacement parts be ordered. While this was going on - we saw the 12 volt side of the coach die a slow death. Watching the 12 volt side of things die was interesting in its own right. First the lights started to dim - and finally quit. Next the propane stove stopped working (ignitors are fed from the 12V side). Next the macerating toilet died (the macerator is powered by 12v). Then, in the middle of the night on Monday - the Carbon Monoxide / Fire alarms started alarming as the rechargeable batteries in them started dying.

Fortunately, MSI delivered and installed a fully functional MS2812 yesterday afternoon. They also installed a BMK monitoring system as part of the re-install. We've been charging the house batteries overnight. Both the 110V and 110V systems are fully functional. According to the BMK monitoring meters - we've put nearly 700 amp hours worth of electricity into the batteries. MSI is scheduled to visit later this afternoon to confirm that everything is working and to test our batteries to determine if there has been any lasting damage.

It's been an interesting adventure and a bit of an unplanned expense. But, we've taken it in stride and appear to be all fixed up - and are none the worse for wear as a result. Another "all's well that ends well" experience!
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #2

Kind of weird the company did not stick a charger on your batterys while the inverter/converter was being repaired though
they should have and or you should have and all would have been just fine
always carry a charger as u never know when you will need one
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:05 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree, When MY inverter failed, under warranty (Call two of a Tale of 3 customer service calls.. Call center was in the US, Call lasted 10-15 minutes, RMA within 2 minutes, Tech and I spoke same language (I'm a Tech myself) rest was chatting about how to make sure it did not happen again, it has not) (Call 3 was also to the US, Michigan, lasted less than 1 minute and I had the info I needed.. FROM THE RECEPTIONIST, never even got to a tech). (Call 1 was 7 hours to India,m I got a headache.. that's all).

I hard wired across the Inverter to provide outlet power, and used an "outboard" converter (progressive Dynamics with wizard no less) to keep batteries happy.. In fact I still do.. even though the inverter is back in house... (I use the charger module as a "backup" in case the PD gets unplugged or fails for other reasons).
Old 01-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
Kind of weird the company did not stick a charger on your batterys while the inverter/converter was being repaired though
they should have and or you should have and all would have been just fine
always carry a charger as u never know when you will need one
X2
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter