My coach has finally
been made whole!
While we were en route to Florida - our MagnaSine MS2812 (which provides inverter and charging functionality) slowly died. The initial symptom was that the batteries would not charge from the generator - but would charge when the coach engine was running. Next, we realized that we weren't getting 110V power - even when connected to 50 amp service.
Knowing we had a significant issue - we pulled into General RV in Jacksonville on Sunday evening (1/15) - and were lucky enough that they were able to squeeze us into their schedule on Monday (1/16) to diagnose the issue. However, we quickly determined that our extended warranty provider would not authorize payment for the replacement
of the failed unit - since it is a "repairable" item. They would however pay for the repairs - and pointed us to Marine Services International (a factory authorized repair center).
We completed our trip - driving from Jacksonville to Flagler Beach (roughly 15 miles from MSI (who are located in Ormond Beach). MSI was out Tuesday (1/17) and pulled the failed unit. They were able to "hardwire" the coach so that we had 110V service from the 50 amp campground electric.
MSI determined that the "AC board" had failed - and replaced that board from parts that they had in stock. However, during testing a "FET board" also failed. The failure of the second board however required that replacement parts be ordered. While this was going on - we saw the 12 volt side of the coach die a slow death. Watching the 12 volt side of things die was interesting in its own right. First the lights started to dim - and finally quit. Next the propane stove stopped working (ignitors are fed from the 12V side). Next the macerating toilet died (the macerator is powered by 12v). Then, in the middle of the night on Monday - the Carbon Monoxide / Fire alarms started alarming as the rechargeable batteries in them started dying.
Fortunately, MSI delivered and installed a fully functional MS2812 yesterday afternoon. They also installed a BMK monitoring system as part of the re-install. We've been charging the house batteries overnight. Both the 110V and
110V systems are fully functional. According to the BMK monitoring meters - we've put nearly 700 amp hours worth of electricity into the batteries. MSI is scheduled to visit later this afternoon to confirm that everything is working and to test our batteries to determine if there has been any lasting damage.
It's been an interesting adventure and a bit of an unplanned expense. But, we've taken it in stride and appear to be all fixed up - and are none the worse for wear as a result. Another "all's well that ends well" experience!