Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 02:52 PM   #1

Inverter Fault

All electrical in coach works with generator and on shore power but when I turn on inverter from inside coach with generator off and disconnected from shore power it reads “Fault”. There is a GFI on the invert that is tripped but won’t reset. Could the inverter be bad or is there perhaps an actual fault somewhere? How can I trouble shoot this? I should mention I connected my shore power to a small portable Honda 650W and ran it until it ran out of gas trying to get a good charge on my batteries for the evening.
chimmeysweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 03:11 PM   #2

I would unplug from the generator to take it out of the mix. "Fault" doesn't tell me much. Check the breaker/fuse on the inverter. Are your batteries charged up and connected? If the inverter isn't making 120VAC you won't be able to reset the GFI breaker.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:47 AM   #3

First try to reset the inverter. Disconnect the negative cable from the inverter, wait a minute and reconnect. Turn inverter on. If the fault returns, there is a problem with the board and will need to be sent in for repairs.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJoe View Post
I would unplug from the generator to take it out of the mix. "Fault" doesn't tell me much. Check the breaker/fuse on the inverter. Are your batteries charged up and connected? If the inverter isn't making 120VAC you won't be able to reset the GFI breaker.
Yes When Disconnected from shore power and coach generator is off batteries are
Fully charged. I push button inside coach to turn inverter on, inverter panel says fault OL.
chimmeysweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Please identify the make/model on inverter.

A fault light with OL as the displayed code usually means the inverter shut down due to overload. That probably means the load connected to it exceeds the max rating of the inverter, perhaps a high resistance short. But it could also be an internal issue within the inverter making it think it was overloaded.

This article may give you some clues: https://www.ayixa.com/how_to_fix_the...rload_problem/
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:48 AM   #6

I will repeat, what is the make and model of the inverter?

GFI will not reset if there is no 120 volt power to it. This just means there is no 120 volt power which you already know.

Does the inverter feed a circuit breaker panel? If so trip all circuit breakers. Reset the inverter. Reset the GFI. Reset circuit breakers one at a time.

Does the inverter have 120 volt AC outlet sockets on it? If so unplug from sockets. Reset the inverter. Reset the GFI. Plug things in one at a time.

There are endless other possibilities. What is the make and model of the inverter?

The converter/charger that may be part of the inverter may work just fine even if the inverter part of it does not function.

If the charger does not work, trip and reset the circuit breaker in the main service entrance that supplies the charger. There are lots of other possibilities.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter