Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #1

Inverter fault. Heating up?

Running generator with inverter off and get fault a few minutes later. Manual indicates fault caused by over heating. I checked the vents on the inverter box and they are clear. Thinking a fault in an appliance is a possibility? Had the kuerig on....Any ideas on how to troubleshoot? 2011 Berkshire 360 FWS
bdunningsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #2

What device is faulting?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
If your inverter is overheating, then possibly the cooling fan could have failed.
If you are running the generator, why would you be running off the inverter?
Do you have a built in Genset or are using an external genset.
Definitely need more information from you.
Have your wife read what you are going to post, see if she can figure out what you mean.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I think it could be the fan too. It's charging as necessary when the gen is on and the inverter is off.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
When you are running on shorepower or generator, your Magnum or Xantrex "inverter" is doing two things:

- the charger/converter part of it is recharging the house batteries, and
- it is "Passing thru" shorepower, via it's internal transfer switch, to the circuits which are powered by the inverter (when shorepower is off).

Of those two functions, the charging function is generating the most heat.

So if this was my coach I'd be checking a couple things:
- make sure the fan is turning and blowing/dissipating heat
- make sure that nothing is blocking the air flow (which apparantely you've already done)
- make sure your house batteries are good, and able to accept normal charging. If you have a bad battery, the charger function will really be working hard to try and charge it.
- check the electrical connections to make sure they are tight (with all power and batteries off of course).

Out of curiosity, how many DC amps is it saying the charger is charging the house batteries?
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #6

I don't hear any fan blowing from inside the magnum inverter. I unplugged the 1500 Watt Kuerig coffee maker and the generator ran good with both ACs on. No Fault on the inverter.

Do you pull the cover off the top of the inverter to check the fan? Dumb question but I don't see mention of a fan in the manual.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I only hear the fan running on my Magnum inverter if the batteries have been run down, and the charger is either bulk charging, or absorb charging.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunningsr View Post
I don't hear any fan blowing from inside the magnum inverter. I unplugged the 1500 Watt Kuerig coffee maker and the generator ran good with both ACs on. No Fault on the inverter.

Do you pull the cover off the top of the inverter to check the fan? Dumb question but I don't see mention of a fan in the manual.
The inverter doesn't power the AC's, only the generator or shorepower, so the only thing that is showing (so far) is that the generator is providing power, to at least one power leg of the breaker box.

1.) When the generator is running, does the charger say that it is charging the house batteries, and if so, how many DC amps are the batteries being charged? (This will confirm whether the charger is getting power, and will give us a sense as to how discharged your house batteries are).

2.) What is the make and model # of your inverter/charger ? (Will look up your manual and check on fan)

3.) When the generator is running, do all of your devices have ac power? Both A/C's, mwave, washer/dryer, h2o heater, etc. (This will confirm that both power legs have power, and therefore your Magnum/Xantrex should also have correct power input.)
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

Thanks. I will check for fan sound next time the inverter displays bulk or absorb charging. So far no issues since I unplugged the Kuerig 1500 watt coffee maker. Thks for everyone's replies!
Old 10-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunningsr View Post
Thanks. I will check for fan sound next time the inverter displays bulk or absorb charging. So far no issues since I unplugged the Kuerig 1500 watt coffee maker. Thks for everyone's replies!

Instant coffee might fix it.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
The inverter doesn't power the AC's, only the generator or shorepower, so the only thing that is showing (so far) is that the generator is providing power, to at least one power leg of the breaker box.

1.) When the generator is running, does the charger say that it is charging the house batteries, and if so, how many DC amps are the batteries being charged? (This will confirm whether the charger is getting power, and will give us a sense as to how discharged your house batteries are).

2.) What is the make and model # of your inverter/charger ? (Will look up your manual and check on fan)

3.) When the generator is running, do all of your devices have ac power? Both A/C's, mwave, washer/dryer, h2o heater, etc. (This will confirm that both power legs have power, and therefore your Magnum/Xantrex should also have correct power input.)
I have the Magnum MM1212 inverter which has a 70A internal battery charger. My meter apparently only measures AC amps so not sure how many DC amps it is pulling to charge the batteries. What I do know is that my alternator was bad and my batteries were probably getting pretty well drained by the time I arrived at my destination. I have since replaced the alternator and no longer have this problem
Hoping this helps with the inverter heating up fault deal. Will update after my dry camp adventure coming up for the new year ..

Tags
heat, heating, inverter