Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #1

Inverter not charging batteries and need it on when hooked to shore power

Hello,
preempt: i dont know much about this stuff.
Magnum Energy invertere in Fleetwood Deisel
problem 1) I am hooked to shore and the only thing I can run without inverter on is my air conditioning.

problem 2) my inverter is not charging my batteries so I have a charger hooked to them..

Any ideas on what to check? all batteries and water level looks good.
msRiverQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had that problem once and after frantically checking every connection, cable, fuse and circuit breaker I discovered that I had turned the inverter OFF when I thought I was switching it to CHARGE.

One other time I couldn't get it to respond to the remote panel and discovered that the interface cable connecting the panel and the inverter had become unseated when a chair bumped it in the bay where the inverter is located.

HTH,

Bob
Old 08-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #3

well it is on for sure.... ugh
Old 08-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had to buy a new inverter. The new one we purchased was faulty so sent it back for warranty and UPS lost it. So we purchased two be for we got it working. I hope your luck is better.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Main Battery Bank to Inverter wiring.
Inverter catastrophic fuse/fuse holder

Magnum remote settings. Low Battery Cutoff. Inverter and Charger settings. Power readings, tech fault readings. Status lights.

30amp circuit breaker that feeds AC power from Main Distribution Panel to the Inverter.

Pop out breaker on inverter casing. And reset switch on Inverter casing.

Circuit breaker in distribution panel feeding the inverter power to sub panel systems...

Should be a diagram in the Inverter Manual. With a voltmeter...you can follow the flow, to see where the flow of electricity isn't.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRiverQueen View Post
Hello,
preempt: i dont know much about this stuff.
Magnum Energy invertere in Fleetwood Deisel
problem 1) I am hooked to shore and the only thing I can run without inverter on is my air conditioning.

problem 2) my inverter is not charging my batteries so I have a charger hooked to them..

Any ideas on what to check? all batteries and water level looks good.
Your coach and mine are similar. Lets see if we can solve this problem.

First off, turn on the inverter. Why keep it off. I don't think mine has been off in 3 years.

Second, are both of the battery switches turned on. Your first statement indicates you are not getting 12 volts to the coach house. In my coach the switches are located up in the electoral control panel located by the front door.

Now check to see if the charger is actually turned on. Again on mine the charger control is in that same panel. but located in the energy management control box.

Next, if the switches are on, and the charger is turned on, check to see what the battery voltages actually are. You should be seeing around 13+- volts on the house batteries (mine has four 6 volt batteries wired to produce 12 volts)
Let us know what you find.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Battery

Does the inverter need to be on when hooked up to shore power. It this charging house and coach batteries.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #8

Thanks all...
as soon as I get this resolved I will post response
Old 08-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #9

Start at the beginning ...use meter to see if there is power going into the converter charger......if there is use meter to see if there is power coming out
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #10

What year is your Fleetwood? I have a 2017 Pace Arrow 36U DP and had my starter batteries go dead while hooked to shore power for a week. I replaced the batteries with new thinking it was bad batteries but that wasn't the case. I had La Mesa check all and Frieghtliner check all with no explanation why my batteries went dead. Only thing I can tell you is the manual says the inverter is suppose to switch over to charge mode for all batteries once hooked to shore power.
Canefin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, batteries, inverter, shore power, charging