Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 02:53 PM   #15

There's no reason to turn the inverter off and on. There's also no harm done if you do.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
There's no reason to turn the inverter off and on. There's also no harm done if you do.
If you are parked (in storage) and you do not have Shore Power hooked up for battery charging, with the Invertor On your batteries will drain much faster.

This will occur even with the House batteries disconnect switch in Off, since the inverter is connected directly to the batteries and by-passes the disconnect. At least on my Coach....

The Invertor uses power while turned On just for "sensing" (testing the lines waiting for an AC power draw high enough for the Inverter to "start inverting").
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #17

We leave our Inverter on 7/24 in our previous coach, about 7-8 years with the MS2812 we installed. We so so in case of power outages, while using the coach, and while in storage. We also have iSocket, on a non inverted 120V power outlet, so I get a text each time power is On or Off. We added this, because one night the power company had a planned outage between midnight and 6:00AM - of which we were not informed of. We'd left the portable electric heater on Medium, and LBCO kicked in as I was trying to brew our AM coffee... So now I get the Text, and I do review them at night!

For sure no right or wrong, just choices... Those with LP fridges, may have a different perspective then those with residential units! Or not...

Current coach? Dual Freedom SW 3012's, on 7/24, fed and feeding X's 8 8D FullRivers. And, same iSocket - moved to the new coach!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #18

The inverter exists to support you in the event of a power failure.

RV parks/resorts are historically bad for supplying consistent power.

Why would you turn it off?

Kinda like having a UPS for your computer that you turn on when the computer monitor goes black - too late to save your data.

Leave it on - that's why you have it.

I've never turned mine off...
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:59 PM   #19

I am in the never turn it off camp. There is no reason to.

When I do need to store my RV I disconnect the batteries at the main 12 lines.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I leave my investors on all the time when driving or in campgrounds.
They work just fine when driving. My Fridge, Microwave, or even a regular 110 V outlet all work just fine from the inverter.

When parked and connected to campground power they are automatically bypassed. They would kick in if we lost power but basically they do nothing if you are connected to power or running generator. The bypass is automatic.

When I store the RV I turn everything off and disconnect all 12V power.

Hal and Pam
2017 Entegra Cornerstone - B
2020 Ford Edge ST
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
When on shore power my two inverters use absolutely no power when left ON. YMMV.
What switches the power on/off inside them when a load is detected? I have seen 99% efficient, but not 100%.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
What switches the power on/off inside them when a load is detected? I have seen 99% efficient, but not 100%.
When on shore power all inverted circuits are powered by shore power and pass through the inverter. Whether a ON/OFF switch on the inverter remote in ON or not is a moot point as the inverter is not powering anything at that time.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:21 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are taking the rig out for a spin, thatís a good time to exercise the generator as well. Run the generator and both AC units (or heat pumps). No need for the inverter for that.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I am in the never turn it off camp. There is no reason to.

When I do need to store my RV I disconnect the batteries at the main 12 lines.
Ditto.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Maybe the refrigerator (if a "residential' style) would need the invertor to be On while driving to provide the 120VAC it runs on.

Counter-point. Our last coach had a side by side residential refrigerator. We kept a remote temperature sensor in the refrigerator (ya from Walmart) with the display up front. We could normally run 4+ hours with refrigerator (and therefore inverter) OFF before refrigerator temperature rose above 38 degrees F. At that point, we turn on the inverter and run the refrigerator.

If driving all day, when we stopped for a break, would check-- if refrigerator not running (reached cut-out temperature) we would turn the inverter off.

Was this necessary-- no. But it lessened the load on the alternator and the refrigerator compressor spent less time operating "during an earthquake".
Old 11-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm only in my coach for 3-4 days every month, but I do leave mine on when parked and hooked up, but really only at certain tracks that have 30 amp power. The the only reason I do it there is because if I trip the breaker (older places tend to trip below the actual 30 amps), my satellite doesn't have to through the whole damn (reboot) process that it goes through after losing power.
TowDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:00 PM   #27

I have two inverters.....

One that powers just my video equipment, plus one or two outlets... It has an internal 120V pass through circuit.

I've yet to turn on this one, except to check its function once in awhile during my storage checks....

I have a second one that powers only my fridge, and has an external automatic transfer switch. It runs the fridge on shore/genny until it loses 120V power, then switches to the inverter.

The second one is turned off during storage, but as soon as I pick up the coach, it goes on... It powers the fridge on inverter while driving or boondocking, and stays in stand-by mode while at an RV park, in case I lose shore power when not at the coach..
Old 11-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Add us to the crowd of keeping it 24/7 on . We have a residential fridge, and water heater gets 120v from it in bright days that solar panels sing along.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter