Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2022, 11:01 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Inverter Question

OK, here's the old retired Marine Grunt again with an inverter question. Pictured is the control panel in my rig. What exactly does "Pass Thru" mean for my inverter settings? Read my manual repeatedly and cannot find where it speaks of that setting for the inverter. I have a Magnum MS2000 inverter. And I have a house fridge, I know the inverter has to be enabled for the fridge to run when travelling, but beyond that I am baffled.
Need some help guys, but please don't peel the grape, don't need to know all the techy stuff; remember who you are talking to. LOL. Just explain to what that setting means and how it should be used e.g., when plugged in to my house, which is only 30 amp. Sorry for the sideways photo, don't know how to straiten it.
Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Switch.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	370272  
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2022, 11:12 AM   #2

Are you plugged into shore power? Basically means the power is just passing thru the inverter.
billy_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt B View Post
OK, here's the old retired Marine Grunt again with an inverter question. Pictured is the control panel in my rig. What exactly does "Pass Thru" mean for my inverter settings? Read my manual repeatedly and cannot find where it speaks of that setting for the inverter. I have a Magnum MS2000 inverter. And I have a house fridge, I know the inverter has to be enabled for the fridge to run when travelling, but beyond that I am baffled.
Need some help guys, but please don't peel the grape, don't need to know all the techy stuff; remember who you are talking to. LOL. Just explain to what that setting means and how it should be used e.g., when plugged in to my house, which is only 30 amp. Sorry for the sideways photo, don't know how to straiten it.
Thanks guys.
Can't speak for that inverter but passthru generally means the inverter is not doing any work,, it's taking whatever load it is seeing and passes it thru to whats connected to that port.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:18 AM   #4

Here is a newer version of what your system is doing, follow the lines from shore power to the battery passing through the inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Passthru.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	370277  
Old 07-06-2022, 11:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_RV View Post
Here is a newer version of what your system is doing, follow the lines from shore power to the battery passing through the inverter.
Billy, still don't understand. Question is, when I am driving in high temp areas (SWFL) and I am running the Gen with front AC on and the fridge is on what setting should I have the inverter sent on Pass thru, enables or off?
Old 07-06-2022, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Billy, still don't understand. Question is, when I am driving in high temp areas (SWFL) and I am running the Gen with front AC on and the fridge is on what setting should I have the inverter sent on Pass thru, enables or off?
off, assuming those appliances are connected to the inverter so the inverter does what inverters do.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:12 PM   #7

If you have any AC power source connected, the inverter can pass this AC power to loads connect to it. Usually this is limited to 30 amps which is typically what the inverter can produce when it is running on battery power only.
An AC is not connect to the inverter so it runs no matter what the inverter pass through is set to. The fridge may be run using the inverter. Test this by using only battery power, inverter set to pass through and see if the fridge runs. If not the fridge is not connected to the inverter output.
I have a 2000w inverter and it is always set to pass through.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Test this by using only battery power, inverter set to pass through and see if the fridge runs. If not the fridge is not connected to the inverter output.

Is that correct? If the fridge is not connected to the inverter, how can the fridge run if I am driving and do not have the gen running?
Old 07-06-2022, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Test this by using only battery power, inverter set to pass through and see if the fridge runs. If not the fridge is not connected to the inverter output.

Is that correct? If the fridge is not connected to the inverter, how can the fridge run if I am driving and do not have the gen running?
You have loads that operate off of the inverter AC pass through. The same loads operate from the inverter when the inverter is operating on battery power only.
Your fridge may be connected like the AC and only operate from gen or shore power.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:16 PM   #10

If you are not plugged in and you you have your refrigerator connected to your inverter it should be set to enabled/on. That will also drain your batteries. If it came stock with the inverter they will most likely be set to the refrigerator, possibly a TV and a few outlets.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Generally inverter should be off when passthru is active, i.e. the inverter is dormant and the connected loads are being handled by the external 120v source (generator or shore power). Most inverters don't even give you a choice in this (the inverter automatically turns off when external power is present), but some have the capability for the inverter to assist with the loads. That can be useful if the external 120v source is limited, e.g. a 15A outlet. If you are running your onboard generator or have 50A shore power, it makes no difference what you choose as a setting because the external 120v is going to supply all necessary power anyway.

If you would identify the make/model on inverter we could be a bit more specific about your particular case. Is this a Magnum Energy 2000-15B or some other model?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:26 PM   #12

I thought you may like the color pictures!

In "Pass Thru" mode (Standby) the AC IN going into the MS2000 'passes thru' the Transfer Contact to the AC OUT. AC is tapped off to feed the charger function to charge the batteries as required.

In "Inverter" mode, any AC input is 'switched off' and the Inverter will now create AC power from the batteries and leave thru the AC OUT.

OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:32 PM   #13

Not familiar with your rig, but it looks like you are plugged in, or running the generator. If you have your inverter ser to auto mode which is the normal mode you shouldn't have do anything to it.

When plugged in it should go into bypass mode, which means the inverter output is connected directly to the input. The idea is when plugged in it doesn't need to create 120v AC because it's available from shore power, or generator.

While plugged in or running the generator your Magnum MS2000 should also charge your house batteries.

When you are not plugged in and not running your generator the inverter powers your inverter 120v AC circuits from your 12v dc house batteries. If your chassis engine is running its alternator should supply 12v to your house batteries which should have enough power for your residential refrigerator and to charge your house batteries. While driving you don't need to run the generator unless you want to run devices not powered by your inverter, like for example your roof air conditioners.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:14 PM   #14

Sgt. B- I have the same system you have and only turn my inverter off for servicing the batteries. When plugged in, or running the generator, the inverter automatically goes to pass through. We are plugged in or on solar all the time, so I just leave the inverter on enabled.
Mike
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter