Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #1

Inverter Question? It keeps running.

Hello to All!!

I have a Heartland Freedom 10 Inverter.

Last week I replaced both 6-volt house batteries that were purchased in 2005!

Now when i plug into "shore power" at the house, the Inverter runs all the time. By running, I mean it has a fan operating inside and it doesn't shut off. No matter how long i'm plugged in. This is NOT the "humming" you might hear on occassion. This unit is "engaged and running."

I dont remember this being the case BEFORE i purchased these new batteries. BTW: the replacement batteries are the same as the ones replaced.

Is it charging the new batteries? is something drawing on it? Nothing is turned on inside the Coach!!

Any thoughts why the Inverter won't shut off??

Thanks,
Bill
mrbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #2

Bill: I found this in the owners/install guide of the model on page 7.
If the unit is connected to external AC
power, the battery charger and transfer switch
will continue to function, regardless of the
position of the switch.

There was some decent warnings concerning equalization too in the manual.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #3

Thanks Craig!

I'll review the manual again. Thanks for pointing out the page about the charger status while plugged in. I must have overlooked that page. I guess perhaps I never noticed it "go on" while plugging in at campsites before. (We've only really been out with this coach twice!)

I could swear the inverter never ran constant when plugged in before. I think I remember something in the owners manual about the Inverter (house batteries charging part/charger) shutting off if something wasnt right. Wondering if because age of old batteries and in how poor condition they were in, could the inverter have just "shut off" the charging ability before? That's why it never "ran" all the time?

I guess if you - or anyone - has the same Freedom 10 Inverter and it runs whenever its plugged into shore power, then all is good!

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Is it an inverter/charger? If so, it might be the charger that is running. Also, I have an on/off switch for the inverter.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The fan is temperature controlled. Your new batteries can suck power from the converter/charger faster than the old ones... Of course eventually they should stop sucking.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

UPDATE: Finally, the Inverter fan shut off! As stated by others, the new batteries - perhaps not really fully charged - where drawing on the charger. Never having heard the fan run constantly before, I was concerned the Inverter was malfunctioning. Glad I was wrong!

All is well again in RVland!

Thanks to those that responded!!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

Eggsellent.... always good when it is a feature versus a failure.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter