Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

Inverter question when on 110v outlet

I have a 2000 watt magnum inverter. When I am plugged into a 110v outlet and the inverter is on is it on standby mode?

If so, when I accidentally pull more more than 15-20 watts from the 110V outlet shouldn't the inverter kick in and supply the additional power needed from the batteries instead of blowing a breaker? If not than why doesn't it?

I have 4 house batteries. How many amps can they supply?
harbortime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #2

If your Magnum inverter is a new 'hybrid' inverter, then yes, it will 'make up' for some additional load by drawing down your batteries.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #3

Let me correct that-you can only draw 15a from a recepticle that is fed by a 15a breaker. With a 'hybrid' inverter, you can run the hair dryer from one outlet, the microwave from a second outlet on another breaker, and maybe TV on another. But don't try to plug in the hair dryer and TV into the microwave outlet while you reheat your coffee!
Old 04-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

As for your batteries, I'm guessing they are GC2 size 6v batteries wired in series-parallel for 12v total. Theoretical capacity is about 105 AH per battery, but because the way they have to be wired, you have about 210 AH available. Now if you want your batteries to last, you shouldn't discharge them below 50% at any one time or you will shorten their life, so now you are back to 105 AH available. Simple??
Old 04-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #5

It is still drawing power through a 15 amp breaker. If you exceed that, it will pop the breaker. That is the limiting factor. Most things like hair dryers or small heaters dont draw more than that. If you plug in multiple things on the same circuit, the breaker will trip if they exceed 15 amps.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
As for your batteries, I'm guessing they are GC2 size 6v batteries wired in series-parallel for 12v total. Theoretical capacity is about 105 AH per battery, but because the way they have to be wired, you have about 210 AH available. Now if you want your batteries to last, you shouldn't discharge them below 50% at any one time or you will shorten their life, so now you are back to 105 AH available. Simple??
Your math is off a bit. Most 6 volt batteries are 200 to 235 AH.

Having 2 series pairs, in parallel, will give him 400 to 470 AH. Half of that is usable, if staying above 50% state of charge.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #7

Corrected. T-105 sticks in my head, model # not amps.

A better answer to the inverter question is this; A hybrid inverter, if you have one, is designed to help out if you are connected to say a 30A shore power connection, you have one AC on and you need to use the micro for a bit. A hybrid inverter will supply that extra load (the micro) but will pull down the batteries while it does. Its basically what's called a 'grid tie' inverter as it 'syncs' with shore power frequency so that it and shore power can 'co-exist'. If your not plugged into shore power, then its just a regular inverter running off your batteries.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
If your Magnum inverter is a new 'hybrid' inverter, then yes, it will 'make up' for some additional load by drawing down your batteries.
Thank you for all the responses. My inverter is the Magnum 2000.
harbortime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My inverter only works when there is no AC power at all. If it is on and I connect to shore power or start the genny, the inverter goes into "standby" mode and the light blinks!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
That inverter is the same as mine, and is NOT hybrid.

When you are connected to shorepower, the circuits in your subpanel which can run on inverted power is just less than 30 amps. The inverter is on a 30 amp circuit breaker. That 30 amp is split between the converter (which you can adjust via a configuration setting), and the subpanel circuits. When you are running on 30 amp shorepower, you should minimize the converter setting, to leave the maximum current for your other devices (figure about 25 amps).

When in inverter mode though, that subpanel is limited to 17 amps.

PM me with your email address if you don't understand, and I can forward some charts I have which visually explains.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:23 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I too have a magnum 2000. How do I know if it is a hybrid or not? Also where is this sub panel everyone talks about? Is it another breaker box? If I keep mine turned on while plugged into shorepower, will it also provide more amps when connected to 30 amps?
Old 04-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I too have a magnum 2000. How do I know if it is a hybrid or not? Also where is this sub panel everyone talks about? Is it another breaker box? If I keep mine turned on while plugged into shorepower, will it also provide more amps when connected to 30 amps?
The Magnum MS2000 is not hybrid, that's a newer more expensive technology.

Many coaches nowadays have a special circuit breaker box, which is actually two separate boxes electrically separated from each other. (If you physically take all of the breakers out of the box, you'll see that the buss bar does not go all the way down the box, it's split into two pieces). So the main 50amp breaker is connected to about 2/3rds of the breakers, and then the last piece is called a subpanel.

There is one 30amp breaker that feeds the Magnum. Then there is a 30 amp line coming back from the Magnum output. That Magnum output then is the input to the subpanel. Then you have some number of other breakers which connect to that subpanel. Those are the circuits that run off the inverter.

So the absolute collective maximum of all those circuits in the subpanel, while running on shorepower or generator, is 30amps. If running off the inverter, those same subpanel and circuits max is about 17 amps.

See a piece of my chart below which shows how my coach is wired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Subpanel.PNG
Views:	56
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	157636  
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter