Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #1

Inverter queston

I stepped into the Motor Home today, 1998 Itasca Sunrise, and heard a clicking sound. Seemed to be coming from the location of the inverter. I unplugged the 110v service and no click. Plugged in and click click. Does this sound like I may be in for a new inverter.
Al K Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2020, 06:36 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need to do more diagnostics. If it was working before, sounds like the battery feeding the inverter might be low and the voltage provided to the inverter is activating it momentarily with the result that you are hearing the clicking. That should be easy to check. Beyond that, you will need to look at other things - connections, wiring, etc.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #3

from what you describe the clicking is only present when shore power is present. by guess is that there is a relay that is trying to connect to the incoming shore power. this relay may be within the inverter, attached to the inverter output cables, or it may even be the automatic transfer switch if you have one.

does you inverter have an output 120 volt receptacle that you plug into to get inverter power? does is have an internal bypass relay? if you can plug a voltage tester or even a light into the inverter output and and plug into shore power. see if the voltage tester is showing make intermittent power in sync with the clicking. if the bypass relay is external to the inverter plug into it to see if it is passing intermittent power.

does the inverter pass power from the battery when shore power is not present?
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:00 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Given that this is a '98 Sunrise, I suspect the box being referred to is a CONverter/charger rather than an INverter. Further, the clicking may be the auto-transfer switch that is often located directly behind the power center panel that contains the converter, fuse panel and circuit breakers. Before we get too deep into this, perhaps AK Hall could identify the make/model of the "inverter" in his RV so we have the right facts to work with.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #5

Speaking of inverter/chargers, my Xantrex Freedom 458 stopped inverting last year and I spent way too much time and money sending it off for a repair that failed immediately. While I do need to figure out why it failed, I no longer have faith in this 14 year old boat anchor and I'm planning to replace it. Recently I've seen that Xantrex now offers a less expensive 2k watt I/C that looks promising as well as several relatively new competitors to Xantrex and Magnum. (Renogy, Aims, Spartan, etc.) I'm leaning toward the Xantrex Model: 817-2080
jlmanatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #6

Sounds like contactor chatter, I would check the transfer switch for a bad contactor.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #7

Inverter nope Converter

Gary you were right converter, as a mater of fact a Magnetek series 6300A . Not sure what's going on with it. I had it shut off for a few days trying to figure it out and now back on and no click and no pluse in the voltage gage plugged into a socket. I will wait a few days and see if it starts again. New batteries and fully charged.
Al K Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmanatee View Post
Speaking of inverter/chargers, my Xantrex Freedom 458 stopped inverting last year and I spent way too much time and money sending it off for a repair that failed immediately. While I do need to figure out why it failed, I no longer have faith in this 14 year old boat anchor and I'm planning to replace it. Recently I've seen that Xantrex now offers a less expensive 2k watt I/C that looks promising as well as several relatively new competitors to Xantrex and Magnum. (Renogy, Aims, Spartan, etc.) I'm leaning toward the Xantrex Model: 817-2080
What light was on the inverte when you figured this out. Mines is not lighting up on the inside.

Tags
inverter