Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #1

Inverter upgrade Xantrex XC, anyone have one.

Hello,
Wanting to up grade from a xantrex freedom 458 to a xantrex XC inverter because the current 458 is modified sine wave and the XC is true sine wave.
Anyone have or installed the new Xantrex XC inverter in their coach?
I put a residential refrigerator in 4 years ago and while traveling we just turn on the generator when I see the temps in fridge going up. I would like to use the inverter again but the current inverter is a modified sine wave and don't want to chance messing up the electronics on the refrigerator. I really don’t want to remove that fridge for any reason as it was a lot of work installing.
Appreciate anyone’s feed back if they have the new Xantrex XC inverter or have installed as a upgrade.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You will almost surely need a new remote panel (assuming your 458 has the remote option) and also an AGS module if you have that. All the newer Xantrex models seem to be incompatible with the older accessory equipment. That was the reason I never upgraded my Xantrex RV 2500 - I would have needed an additional $1200+ to replace the remote panels. I installed a second pure sine inverter instead and fed the residential fridge off that (same battery bank). Net cost about $250.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You will almost surely need a new remote panel (assuming your 458 has the remote option) and also an AGS module if you have that. All the newer Xantrex models seem to be incompatible with the older accessory equipment. That was the reason I never upgraded my Xantrex RV 2500 - I would have needed an additional $1200+ to replace the remote panels. I installed a second pure sine inverter instead and fed the residential fridge off that (same battery bank). Net cost about $250.
Gary RVRoamer,
Thanks for the reply. My current inverter Xantrex 458 does have a remote but not a AGS module.
The remote for the new XC model is $60.00 so that’s not bad.
I found some online literature and a YouTube video that suggested that there are quick connect plugs that convert the old communication cable of the 458 to the newer XC model so you don’t have to run a new cable. I called Xantrex to verify that the quick connect plugs do exist. The gentleman I talked to there affirmed this but I will say he didn’t exactly give me confidence that he knew what he was talking about. I will research that further as Running a new cable is the one thing I don’t want to do.
I like the idea of having true sine wave for the whole coach because some other things I have tried to run while on inverter have given some strange noise and operation.
If I decide the XC won’t work then I like your idea of using a dedicated inverter for the refrigerator. I would have to run a wire to the refrigerator though which I’m trying to keep from doing. To bad they don’t make an inverter that plugs into an exisating receptacle and converts modified sine wave to true sine wave.
Thanks for your help.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

$60 and a cable conversion kit sounds like an easy upgrade solution.

I had an RC7GS remote control/display and a Xantrex AGS unit. Each is a lot more than $60, though I could have done better than the MSRP pricing that quoted to me. That was about 5 years ago now. The newer versions have come down a lot in price too, thanks to cheaper electronics and lots of competition. I think at todays discount prices I could have done the changeover for under $500 if DIY, but at dealer prices it still would have been out-of-sight.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I just replaced an older Trace Xantrex with a new Magnum MSH3012 pure sine inverter. I had replaced the Trace inverter on our Windsor many years ago with a new Magnum and I noticed our coach batteries lasted much longer.
I like the Magnum menu and battery charging system better than the Xantrex. Once I figured out the differences it was straight forward and would be easy to do again. With some smart shopping I was able to find very good prices on the remote and AGS.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/swap...re-386835.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
You have another option, just to throw it out there.

You could leave what you have, but install a smaller additional sinewave inverter just for the refrigerator. Just need to worry about running one piece of romex up to the refrig socket.

It's not an option I would personally choose as an EE, as I would already have upgraded the whole coach to pure sinewave. I know they are better (I used to build modified sine wave power supplies forever ago) and could easily do the upgrade to a new inverter myself. I wouldn't dink around with a MSW at all.

I do know some other people have done it, so I throw it out there just in case it makes sense somehow for your situation.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I just replaced an older Trace Xantrex with a new Magnum MSH3012 pure sine inverter. I had replaced the Trace inverter on our Windsor many years ago with a new Magnum and I noticed our coach batteries lasted much longer.
I like the Magnum menu and battery charging system better than the Xantrex. Once I figured out the differences it was straight forward and would be easy to do again. With some smart shopping I was able to find very good prices on the remote and AGS.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/swap...re-386835.html
Vito.a
Thanks for posting the link to your previous inverter upgrade. As I was reading it I was thinking that if changing mine out was going to be that involved then maybe I had better really plan my purchase of an inverter very thoroughly or have someone that installs them for a living do it.
I’m still thinking since I don’t have the AGS then my install won’t be as challenging but I need to make sure that all the wiring connections will be doable in the present location. Your post gave me things to think about that I hadn’t considered could be problems.
Nice write up.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
You have another option, just to throw it out there.

You could leave what you have, but install a smaller additional sinewave inverter just for the refrigerator. Just need to worry about running one piece of romex up to the refrig socket.

It's not an option I would personally choose as an EE, as I would already have upgraded the whole coach to pure sinewave. I know they are better (I used to build modified sine wave power supplies forever ago) and could easily do the upgrade to a new inverter myself. I wouldn't dink around with a MSW at all.

I do know some other people have done it, so I throw it out there just in case it makes sense somehow for your situation.
Kiawah,
Another reply I had suggested that a dedicated inverter just for the refrigerator is the route he took.
I like you would like to have a whole house true or pure sine wave inverter. Running a new wire is not appealing to me. Currently I have two plugs under the new residential refrigerator with it plugged into the one that’s not tied into the inverter circuit. I guess they put two for old fridge so the ice maker wouldn’t be in the inventor circuit. Came in handy for my current situation. At least I can turn inverter on for other things without it frying the electronic circuits on the new refrigerator.
I’m still in the planning stages but the Xantrex XC inverter is true sine wave , has a 80 amp charger in it for a very reasonable $775.00 with additional remote panel for $60.00. I hope reasonable doesn’t equate to cheap as in cheaply made. Probably the direction I will go for a 14 year old motorhome if my research shows I can do it.
Thanks You for your reply.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Several years ago I replaced the Trace Xantrex 2000w inverter with a Magnum 2000w inverter in our Windsor in one afternoon. It did not have all the complexities of our Signature and was much easier. I made a plywood mount, painted it black and mounted the new inverter to it. I just removed the wires from the Xantex and installed them into the Magnum, no adapting necessary.
The new Magnum remote used the same RJ11 telephone cord and fit into the same hole.
The only potential issues are to make sure you disconnect the house batteries, flip the generator main circuit breaker off, and disconnect the shore power before you work on the wiring.

Also, anytime you are installing an inverter, make sure you install the 12v ground wire first and then the +12 positive cable. If done backwards there is a chance the inverter will try to ground through the RJ11 telephone cord.

Check inverter pricing online at West Marine and Tekris Power. Chris at Tekris gave me excellent tech support.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Took a look at teh XC on Amazon, other htan MADE IN CHINA looks like a good unit.. My old Prosine is ... not feeling well.. If I can't fix it I may go to an XC specs very close.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I would personally rather go with a Magnum power inverter. They use the same hookups as the xantrex, have a better warranty, and are made in the USA.

The control panel even uses the same hole cutout and RJ11 cable.

I happened to have this open since I am also considering getting an new inverter:
http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sit...um-rev-bob.pdf
-BigRed- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgoagain View Post
Kiawah,

Another reply I had suggested that a dedicated inverter just for the refrigerator is the route he took.

I like you would like to have a whole house true or pure sine wave inverter. Running a new wire is not appealing to me. Currently I have two plugs under the new residential refrigerator with it plugged into the one that’s not tied into the inverter circuit. I guess they put two for old fridge so the ice maker wouldn’t be in the inventor circuit. Came in handy for my current situation. At least I can turn inverter on for other things without it frying the electronic circuits on the new refrigerator.

I’m still in the planning stages but the Xantrex XC inverter is true sine wave , has a 80 amp charger in it for a very reasonable $775.00 with additional remote panel for $60.00. I hope reasonable doesn’t equate to cheap as in cheaply made. Probably the direction I will go for a 14 year old motorhome if my research shows I can do it.

Thanks You for your reply.

$775 is very high for that inverter. I just purchased the same one for $620, shop around. It is a great unit if you aren't looking for AGS function.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BigRed- View Post
I would personally rather go with a Magnum power inverter. They use the same hookups as the xantrex, have a better warranty, and are made in the USA.

The control panel even uses the same hole cutout and RJ11 cable.

I happened to have this open since I am also considering getting an new inverter:
http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sit...um-rev-bob.pdf
BigRed,
I just revisited this thread after a couple of months. Wow thanks for posting that link. Everything I needed to do a change over. I think Magnum will be the way to go. Looks pretty straight forward. Same communication cable to. No snaking a new one through which is what I was dreading.
Thanks again.

Tags
inverter, upgrade, xantrex