Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #1

Inverter vs generator use

I'm thinking it would be easier on gas/etc. to use the inverter for the refrigerator while driving over the generator based on the following taken
from the owners manual: The inverter is not intended for steady use
while “dry camping”. Batteries will deplete quickly with use of the
inverter. The inverter is intended for limited, short term power usage
when not connected to shoreline or generator power. The inverter can
also be used while driving the motor home because the engine alternator
will charge the batteries while driving.

Am I correct in my assumption that I can use the inverter over the generator while driving?

Thank you!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, you are correct, as long as the inverter is providing enough output to power the fridge.

We always use the inverter to power the fridge while driving!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:46 PM   #3

Is there anyway to know if it's supplying enough power? Just the fact it is on and working sufficient enough information? Also, I imagine we shouldn't be using any other devices simultaneously, correct?

Thanks for the prompt reply initially and if responding again.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #4

According to my house control panel, my inverter is drawing 13 amps from the batteries to power the Whirlpool residential fridge when running (as compared to 150 amps for the microwave!) which is more than offset from a typical engine alternator (140 amp) with all of the various draws upon it, so your fridge will stay cold and your batteries will still receive extra to charge them if needed. I've even had the grandkids watching satellite TV (11 amps) the wife with her heating pad (19 amps) and all the other normal draws going and reached our destination with topped off batteries.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

Your main engine charging system will easily handle running the residental fridge while under way.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp5 View Post
I'm thinking it would be easier on gas/etc. to use the inverter for the refrigerator while driving over the generator based on the following taken
from the owners manual: The inverter is not intended for steady use
while “dry camping”. Batteries will deplete quickly with use of the
inverter. The inverter is intended for limited, short term power usage
when not connected to shoreline or generator power. The inverter can
also be used while driving the motor home because the engine alternator
will charge the batteries while driving.

Am I correct in my assumption that I can use the inverter over the generator while driving?

Thank you!
Do it every time we drive.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:49 PM   #7

The above answers are correct..... Your alternator makes a lot more amps than the inverter needs to power the fridge. Since it's working we can assume the inverter is large enough to do the job .

That said, your question highlights the fact that you could benefit from an increased understanding of electrical supply and loads.

Here's a good read, there's many more.

https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-electrical/
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #8

Yes you can use the inverter while you drive. You certainly can run more than one item at a time as well. Running down the road the power you can use is dictated by the size of the alternator that powers your house batteries. We have two inverters, 5500 watts of power and we can use whatever we need/want running down the road without the generator (except power that requires the generator such as air conditioners).

I’m not sure what is meant by, “the inverter is not intended for steady use”. They are made to be used in my opinion and ours are used all the time to power most everything during the day. The trick is understanding how much battery power we have and appropriately charging them with the generator when needed. Your length of time of using the inverter is about amps available in the batteries while dry camping and the power you are drawing.
Hoosier14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The inverter should work fine, but it probably won't save you any fuel. You just added a bit of horsepower load to the coach engine (via the alternator) and subtracted a bit from LP gas usage. There is no free lunch, even though it feels like a savings.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #10

There can be some savings in fuel.

Running the fridge on inverter power will only draw extra power from the alternator when the compressor is running, less then 50% of the time.

The generator will be running all of the time, even when the fridge compressor is not.

Measurable difference, I don't know, but running the generator with no load 50+% of the time probably isn't good for it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #11

Don't know what I was thinking, I should have stated inverter vs propane as I would run the generator when using air conditioning (needed driving through the desert). Therefore, saving propane fuel when running inverter for fridge and other outlets (maybe a computer, etc.).

Tags
generator, inverter