RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

IOTA Transfer Switch: ITS-50R - Who has NOT had Issues

Went to my coach (2005 Newmar Kountry Star) in storage last week and jotted down the part numbers for the transfer switch and the converter so I could download technical documentation. Imagine my surprise when I used Google for the IOTA Transfer Switch ITS-50R and found that a number of manufacturers had recalls and there were fires in some coaches from the switch. I then contacted Newmar who stated they have never recalled the transfer switch but I noticed that those few companies that have done so seem to be newer models than mine.

After reading every available thread I could find on the subject, I went to my coach today and pulled the cover off of the transfer switch. All looks like new with no signs of overheating. I did check tightness on the screws and did find a few that could take a bit of tightening but overall there were no loose screws.

I have had this coach since spring 2014 and both myself and the previous owner ensured there were no electrical loads (except for microwave clock, converter, etc.) on the system when we either plug in or disconnect. Same for generator start and shut down. The previous owner had an electrical meter in the dining area to make sure power was up prior to turning on loads that I still use today.

I am curious as to how many owners have this make and model transfer switch and have not had any issues. I find it curious that only certain manufacturers did the recall and only in later year coaches. Did IOTA change the construction or did those manufacturers alter their electrical system.

Tightening the screws and inspecting the transfer switch will now be part of my annual maintenance list.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have the parts page for my coach from Monaco, it shows that they quit using this transfer switch in Sept 2001 and started using the Lyght LPT50BRD. Probably for the very reason they had the recalls.

I think most people don't know what kind of transfer switch they have and don't care.

Good for you on doing your due diligence.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I have the parts page for my coach from Monaco, it shows that they quit using this transfer switch in Sept 2001 and started using the Lyght LPT50BRD. Probably for the very reason they had the recalls.

I think most people don't know what kind of transfer switch they have and don't care.

Good for you on doing your due diligence.

I thought I read that Monaco was one of the manufacturers that recalled the switch in the 2009 timeframe.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #4

I have that model TS on my 2004 MH. No problems yet. But early on I found loose connections. I check connection yearly.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I thought I read that Monaco was one of the manufacturers that recalled the switch in the 2009 timeframe.
No idea as to if Monaco did have a recall for the transfer switch.

I only have the parts page to my coach as a reference.

I have read numerous posts on this issue both on IRV2 and other forums.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch