Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2016, 07:07 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Is anyone using Power Service prods for your diesel engine?

Is anyone using Power Service's suite of products for motorhome diesel engine maintenance, winterization, etc.? Here's the link (scroll down):

Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide | Power Service

It doesn't say anything specific for RV usage. This is our first year of winterizing a diesel engine (Cummins).

Thanks!

go6car

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2016, 07:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using a mixture of Diesel Kleen mixed with a maintenance dose of Biobor-JF in every second or third fill-up.

Works for me!

I have never had to "winterize" a diesel engine. If it is not being used at all during the winter other than making sure your coolant is protected to your outside temps than I would not worry about the fuel. Once the temps warm up your fuel will flow correctly. If you are worried about microbial growth than use a portion of Biobor-JF.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Soon after buying the coach in 2008 I changed the fuel filters and found that I had a lots of black slime almost blocking the top of the primary filter. Did some research and started using Biobor algeacide.

Now, if I'm storing my rig for any length of time I fill the tank and add Biobor and Startron Enzyme treatment. Haven't had a problem ever since doing this.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #4

Pre new dft emissions Cummins they were made to use #2 diesel and that had a good lube from the sulfur and other things in the fuel. Now the low sulfur bio blended stuff we can buy has very little lubrication in fuel.

I do not want to replace fuel system rails or injectors to the tune of lots of cash. I buy the silver power serv when it is on sale and put a jug in when I put about 80 gal in. I have 107,xxx miles on a 2002 mfg ISL 400 and it runs great.

I FEEL that the cotane additive helps me get better mileage but can not prove it

Some will claim snake oil and bs but it works for me
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use a biocide only if the coach will be sitting several months. If you use it frequently, you'll burn the fuel and algae can't grow.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I use a biocide only if the coach will be sitting several months. If you use it frequently, you'll burn the fuel and algae can't grow.
Is the diesel fuel/algae problem more/most common where the temps are higher where you store your rv with fuel in tank for several months?
Out here in western Washington from November to March temps probably average mid 40s or so. Other than that time period, fuel is run thru the tank often enough to not ever be a problem. Any thoughts?
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
Pre new dft emissions Cummins they were made to use #2 diesel and that had a good lube from the sulfur and other things in the fuel. Now the low sulfur bio blended stuff we can buy has very little lubrication in fuel.

I do not want to replace fuel system rails or injectors to the tune of lots of cash. I buy the silver power serv when it is on sale and put a jug in when I put about 80 gal in. I have 107,xxx miles on a 2002 mfg ISL 400 and it runs great.

I FEEL that the cotane additive helps me get better mileage but can not prove it

Some will claim snake oil and bs but it works for me
I agree,
I have been using the same product for a few years. At first I thought it improved performance and mileage so I started paying more attention to my Average Fuel Mileage on my TripTek. Over several thousand miles, using Power Service Octane Booster, (the Silver stuff) I was getting 8.5 - 9.0 MPG.
So, I stopped using it and tracked my mileage over a few thousand miles and found my Average MPG has dropped to 7.5 - 8.5 MPG.
Went back to adding the "Snake Oil" and sure enough, my Average MPG went back up.
In my humble opinion, the increase in mileage pays for the cost of the product and if it extends the life of my fuel system, well, that's a bonus.

Roll On,
Old 10-30-2016, 02:59 PM   #8

I don't have a diesel motorhome, but I have a diesel tractor that I use for snow removal. I always add a small amount from the Power Service white bottle before I dump in another 5 gallons of fuel. My John Deere is kept in an unheated garage. I do use the block heater in cold weather and give the glow plugs a few seconds before starting. With this combination, the tractor has always started promptly, no matter how cold, or how long since it was last started. The only time I had a starting problem was when the battery finally gave out.
I'm not 100% sure if I would have had the same result without the Power Service, but I'm not going to mess with success. I'll keep using it.
If and when I acquire a diesel motorhome, I will likely use Power Service in it as well.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Is the diesel fuel/algae problem more/most common where the temps are higher where you store your rv with fuel in tank for several months?
Out here in western Washington from November to March temps probably average mid 40s or so. Other than that time period, fuel is run thru the tank often enough to not ever be a problem. Any thoughts?
If you bing this subject, you'll be swamped with information, here's some:

"A diesel quality problem is algae which is a bacterial or fungal growth. There are several forms, but they all live in water and feed on fuel. Generally algae are a living slime that will plug/block fuel filters. Water is the key catalyst for this algae issue. It is not possible to stop water from getting into fuel as the tank must always be vented to atmosphere, water naturally condensates on the insides of the tank walls with temperature changes. Good maintenance practices for diesel storage tanks can prevent premature repairs and breakdowns.

Warm conditions are more susceptible to algae growth, as noted below.

Under normal storage conditions diesel fuel can be expected to stay in a useable condition for:

• 12 months only at an ambient temperature of 20C.

• 6-12 months at an ambient temperature higher than 30C."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:02 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I think you hit the nail on the head with the "swamped with information" thing!

Still not sure what would be best for us...

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #11

I have used this product for many years... I use the gray bottle for cleaning through out the year to clean and lubricate. I use the white bottle in the winter when cold, we do snow removal and don't want to chance anything freezing up. The biocide is used when we think we have algae growing in a machine. For us algae seems to grow anytime it's warm and doesn't matter if something is used a lot. When we start plugging fuel filters they get a dose of the biocide.

The other day my backhoe was idling rough and that usually isn't a good sign for injection pump reasons. So, I gave her a healthy dose of the grey bottle cleaner in a full tank of fuel. By the time half the fuel was burned she cleaned up and idles fine now. So I feel the products have merit.

I have read that a product called optilube has better lubricity than any of the others on the market but have yet to order some.

I say use it.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:36 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
If you bing this subject, you'll be swamped with information, here's some:

"A diesel quality problem is algae which is a bacterial or fungal growth. There are several forms, but they all live in water and feed on fuel. Generally algae are a living slime that will plug/block fuel filters. Water is the key catalyst for this algae issue. It is not possible to stop water from getting into fuel as the tank must always be vented to atmosphere, water naturally condensates on the insides of the tank walls with temperature changes. Good maintenance practices for diesel storage tanks can prevent premature repairs and breakdowns.

Warm conditions are more susceptible to algae growth, as noted below.

Under normal storage conditions diesel fuel can be expected to stay in a useable condition for:

12 months only at an ambient temperature of 20C.

6-12 months at an ambient temperature higher than 30C."

Anyone know what this is? It is located in my fuel filter compartment. See picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	143164  
Old 10-31-2016, 02:38 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If it is not readable it says algae-x LG-x500

Went online and found this info:

Review this Test Report that Shows the addition
of an ALGAE-X MFC unit provided a:

13.2% reduction in Hydrocarbon emissions
11.3% reduction in CO emissions
10.8% reduction in NOx emissions
64.7% reduction in particulate emissions
6.4% reduction in fuel consumption

No idea if it works, but it is installed in my system when I bought it. Says should run the engine every few weeks while in storage.

Interesting

Tags
diesel, engine, power, service