Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #15

If you were going to be using the coach mostly in the summer, the propane furnace would serve you well. For winter use, as you have planned, it's a different story. The forced air system can be noisy and it doesn't keep even room temperature like the AH does. Plus, keeping a supply of propane can be a hassle. Please understand there are a lot of forced air coaches being used in the winter and the owners are happy campers. In our former coach, we supplemented the gas heat with an electric heater and were very comfortable, even down below zero. When looking at other options, don't shy away from a coach with DPF or one that requires DEF. In 75,000 miles and 7 years, I have had to replace one sensor. Both are pretty trouble free.

That said, if you like the floor plan of the 06 Tradition and the owner has good service records, why not pay for a professional inspection. Then if your still ok with it, negotiate a price and make it your own? Aqua Hot is very nice, but I wouldn't pay $30-$40,000 extra to have it in a coach with over twice as many miles.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
AH is a great system. I've had two of them, and will disagree a bit with earlier comments. Annual maintenance is recommended but not required if the system is used. Also, according to a used RV web site, an AH system will add about $10k to the price of a used coach.
Definitely on my “mush have list”. With the electric element you do not have to run the diesel boiler unless it’s fairly cold. In 14 years I did the “annual service” 3 times on my 04 Dynasty. My “new” rig has 2 electric elements so doubt I’ll be doing the “annual service” anytime soon...maybe every 5 years.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #17

Would not consider not having the AquaHot. We love it. Another feature is it heats much better going down the road than the dash heat and we don't have to run the heat pumps. They have extensions to pipe the exhaust up and in the air to avoid the fumes, but we have never noticed the diesel fumes. We have one of the "snorkels" for the exhaust and it has never left the storage bag.
Ran into a guy at a truck stop that said his DEF tank froze on him one time. Uncommon though. I don't know, I don't have DEF of DPF on a 09 ISM500.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:11 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A little update

So I met a guy with a ‘19 4018 Dutch Star today, got in a conversation about heat pump nose and Oasis and learned something.

When on 50a service set the mode to aqua, have the burner off it the ac I&II on, and set the t-stat to the desired heat, and you’ll have quiet heat and hear nothing but the oasis air handler fan moving the hot air into the cabin.

After listening to the heat pumps last night, until I turned them off because they are too loud for me to sleep, this is a major improvement and relief. Rookie move for not reading the manual (if it’s in there) but I’ve never heard of this “mode” before and it’s wonderful.

So, one more reason to opt for this system if you can.

Now if only the neighbors will turn down their music a bit.....
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:09 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
In the winter I’m paying for my electric so I use my heat pumps (3-4X more efficient than restive heat) as much as possible...down to the mid 30s although that doesn’t happen very often in SE Fla.

Noise is not a problem at night as I’ll run the front heat pump at the warmest temperature and the middle a couple degrees cooler (rarely comes on) with all the ceiling vents closed up front. If the forecast is for 40 or below I’ll have the back AHot set for 1 degree cooler than the middle heat pump.

Will do the opposite if running the AC during the day letting the rear unit do most of the work with the back vents closed.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would not buy a coach that had an Aquahot. Too many breakdowns, too expensive to operate. A $10 pair of slippers works just as well.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #21

Have had Aqua-hots in my last 3 coaches, other than the annual $40 nozzle and filter change, no problems or added expenses. If I have free electricity will use heat pumps down to 40 or so also. Electricity and diesel heat is much more efficient and easier to use than propane.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The only way to know what the coach is REALLY worth in the market today is to have a professional do an appraisal for you using nation wide auction results as we as dealer sales and individual sales data. I highly recommend https://rvpricingandappraisals.com/ They do appraisals for buyers and sellers.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZRider800 View Post
The only way to know what the coach is REALLY worth in the market today is to have a professional do an appraisal for you using nation wide auction results as we as dealer sales and individual sales data. I highly recommend https://rvpricingandappraisals.com/ They do appraisals for buyers and sellers.
I’m not so sure about that. I’d rather rely on my own research weighed against my wishes and budget and take it from there. I might pay more or less than market price but I’ll get what I want. JMHO.....Anything is worth what someone will pay for it. So apply that to the equation from either side and you get the same answer.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:36 PM   #24

Thanks everyone for your info, opinions, etc.... greatly appreciated!

I think I will pass on the 06 American tradition w/o aquahot and find a coach with it. From what I gather when going to cold climates it’s a much better option vs propane.

Girlfriend and myself (I guess I should say fiancé) are traveling to Utah the 2nd week of January with some friends for a ski trip. Just prior to that, January 7th to be exact, our plan is to go to Las Vegan and get married. We live in Ohio and plan on driving out which we have done the last two winters... to go skiing. Went to park city and the next year big sky.

Anyways, I don’t want to rush into getting the wrong coach (been researching for a while now) so we will just take her car west.

Again thanks for the info everyone!!
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fiesta48...I've owned my 2004 American Eagle for 9 years now & wanted an Aqua Hot system & have never had one issue with it..wouldn't have a coach with out it.
groveln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Disadvantage, no matter how well it's burning, it still smells of spent diesel.
I've been made miserable by staying next to coaches with Aquahot. Most recently, I was about 100 feet from one, and I could hear it when I was inside, cycling on and off all night.

My first experience with one was at Lake Pleasant RV Park in Bothell, Washington, where the spaces are real tight. The pipe for the Aquahot was right by my front door, and the noise and diesel fumes were horrible.

I'm sure they're nice for the people who have them, but not so much for the people near them.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #27

Plus the exhaust stinks.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post

I'm sure they're nice for the people who have them, but not so much for the people near them.
Yeah, I love when I'm between two coaches with diesel heating, because they understand.
As far as noise, I've been beside propane RV's that had much louder furnaces / water heaters than my Aqua hot.