Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2023, 10:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Is Country Coach really better than others?

Hi,
I am in the process of purchase my first pre-DEF Diesel Pusher, preferably under 40', 36'-37' will be the best, only want to buy 2005-2007, I am looking at the following manufactories and models in the beginning:
American Coach
American dream
American eagle
American tradition

Country Coach
Allure
Inspire
TRIBUTE

NewMar
Dutch Star
Kountry Star
Mountain Air

Tiffin
Allegro Bus

Monaco
Dynasty

But when the more I do my research, the more I like Country Coach, the problem is there are not that many out there, almost all of them are out of state, it is definitely no easy feat, especially I also would like to do trade in .

So the question is Country Coach really worth all those trouble? this is for those people has tried country coach and other brands.

Please advise.
Thank you in advance.
John
John918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2023, 10:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John918 View Post
Hi,

I am in the process of purchase my first pre-DEF Diesel Pusher, preferably under 40', 36'-37' will be the best, only want to buy 2005-2007, I am looking at the following manufactories and models in the beginning:

American Coach

American dream

American eagle

American tradition

Country Coach

Allure

Inspire

TRIBUTE

NewMar

Dutch Star

Kountry Star

Mountain Air

Tiffin

Allegro Bus

Monaco

Dynasty

But when the more I do my research, the more I like Country Coach, the problem is there are not that many out there, almost all of them are out of state, it is definitely no easy feat, especially I also would like to do trade in .

So the question is Country Coach really worth all those trouble? this is for those people has tried country coach and other brands.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

John

Your list is full of good models.
Regardless of brand, how they were maintained and stored (preferably under cover) is more important than the badge on the front.

Have fun during your hunt!
Boomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 04:42 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure what your budget is, but have you seen this one?

https://www.themotorcoachstore.com/2...lide-mid-bath/

EDIT: looks like it is to long for you. Man it looks nice though.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegats1 View Post
Not sure what your budget is, but have you seen this one?

https://www.themotorcoachstore.com/2...lide-mid-bath/

EDIT: looks like it is to long for you. Man it looks nice though.
For a little bit more, this pre-def Newell looks incredible.

https://www.themotorcoachstore.com/2007-newell-p2000i-quad-slide-bath-and-half/
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John918 View Post
Hi,
American Coach
American dream
American eagle
American tradition

Country Coach
Allure
Inspire
TRIBUTE

NewMar
Dutch Star
Kountry Star
Mountain Air

Tiffin
Allegro Bus

Monaco
Dynasty

Please advise.
Thank you in advance.
John
With the homework you are doing, I would think about the servicing end of whatever you purchase. Be sure, if you want it serviced locally, you call around and verify who will work on it.

When we bought our coach , a local larger truck center said they would service anything on the coach except inside electric and water. They no longer service any motor homes.

I don’t use repair facilities very often, but on my last trip, I developed a water leak where 2 lines were rubbing and a pinhole developed. Freightliner will fix it, but the first question they asked was, “Is your coach older than 10 years?”

Just be aware.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:29 AM   #6

I recently purchased a 2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor that I have been very happy with. They were made by Monaco and are basically the same coach as the Monaco Dynasty. Mine has the pre-def Cummins ISL 400 that has plenty of power. You might add that to your list.
Toyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 08:31 AM   #7

Absolutely CC's were very fine coaches. Their owners were gaga over the chassis and build quality. But they are getting pretty far in our rear view mirror. With limited availability you are likely going to need to travel to find the perfect CC for you. Just a question, are you limiting your choices to pre DEF only? If so why, most have had zero issues. Lastly, I would have Foretravel on that short list as well.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Great Rig! That is really "a little bit more"
Unfortunately it is way over my budget.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRunner View Post
For a little bit more, this pre-def Newell looks incredible.

https://www.themotorcoachstore.com/2...bath-and-half/
Old 06-06-2023, 09:46 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I am only looking for pre DEF, heard too issues on the DEF crap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Absolutely CC's were very fine coaches. Their owners were gaga over the chassis and build quality. But they are getting pretty far in our rear view mirror. With limited availability you are likely going to need to travel to find the perfect CC for you. Just a question, are you limiting your choices to pre DEF only? If so why, most have had zero issues. Lastly, I would have Foretravel on that short list as well.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:07 AM   #10

You have a good list going... In the 36-37" size, most of the coaches you mentioned will have very small used inventory for sell...

Suggest you also think about:

- Do I want Tag or Non Tag
- Do I want Side or Rear Radiator
- Do I want Jake Compression, Exhaust, or Retarder Brake Assist
- Do I want Air Leveling, Jacks, or Both
- Do I want to tow heavy loads (Larger Toad, or Stacker, or Trailer with Toys, etc.
- How many slides do I want

=====

IMO, you will find a much larger population of used coaches in the Mid to Higher Models, if you go to 40'. (And we traveled our first 10 years in a 40' Country Coach Allure, and very seldom did we have a problem getting into the State/National Parks that we were wanting to go to. Sure, a 36-37', will give you more options on sites. And sometimes max sizes of older campgrounds will not support a 40'.).

Suggest you add Alpine and in the CC line-up, target the Allure, Intrigue, Magna. Foretravels U270, U320. Newmar's Dutch Star and Mountain Aire in that era were good coaches too...

You will get lots of input. But again focus on a list of Must Have's and Nice to Have's and Size...

And Country Coaches are not perfect coaches, none are. In the era you are considering, they were solid coaches, mentioned chassis is top notch, good wood work, etc., etc. I obviously like them, as we went from the Allure to Magna! But, I had Newmar's, Foretravels, Monaco's (And Holiday Rambler sister models.), and more - on our short list when shopping for the current coach.).

One advantage, you're on the West Coast, so swing thru Junction City to visit Premier RV Services or Oregon Motor Coach for annual, or every other year, visits with those who built Country Coach - is certainly reasonable.

If you do narrow your search down to Country Coaches, call and make contact with Damon Rapozo, or Louie, at Premier RV Services. They can guide you thru Pro's/Con's of various years and models of Country Coaches. And when you start a relationship with them, often they will know of coaches coming in on Consignment. IMO, the better Country Coaches, are never advertised - as those who are looking will be called by Damon or Louie to let them know in advance... Sincerely, the 'best' cared for CC's, IMO - never are advertised!

Happy hunting, best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:23 PM   #11

Good info has been given.

I owned a 2000 Dynasty 36'. I was looking hard for a good CC Allure or intrigue, Magna I could not find one the wife liked the interior on at least in photos anyway.
I knew I wanted a tag max of 40'.

A 38' Tag Dynasty came up for sale 50 miles from home and it fit us well so I bought another Dynasty. 38' tag pretty rare to find in any brand.

I decided I wanted a tag after driving a friends tag coach on a few race trips. I have driven my old coach and another 36' non tag coach quite a few miles in a lot of weather and road conditions. The tag is so amazing on the stability and handling. I have not towed my own trailer yet with the coach but will in a month. I am anxious to see how it handles it. I will say CC probably has the best selection for "short" tag coaches if you can find one. My 06 Dynasty is a nice rig. I would still own a CC any day. They are good stuff. The Americans with Spartan chassis I think are good too.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:53 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
You will definitely have to travel outside CA to find a Country Coach. But you may be lucky and find one in OR.

You're going to have to move fast as the short coaches are in high demand.
You will be better off selling your current coach yourself and then ready to buy when the Country Coach comes up.
You also are going to pay more for the shorter coach than a 40' plus coach.

Other models you should add to your search are Travel Supreme and Beaver Coach. Both are very nice coach's.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
You will definitely have to travel outside CA to find a Country Coach. But you may be lucky and find one in OR.

You will be better off selling your current coach yourself and then ready to buy when the Country Coach comes up.

Other models you should add to your search are Travel Supreme and Beaver Coach. Both are very nice coach's.
Hey Vito! Great adds to include Tavel Supreme and Beaver... (Heck, toss in Wanderlodge too (But, usually not a small coach!)...

I/We. Looked very closely at a well cared for mechanically, and with love, Signature with DD60. Drove very, very well (And 'Yes!' - better handling then our current Magna (2007 Magna = 8/2006(? Memory Fade!) Signature = 8.5). No question the ISX600 had a bit more 'grunt' then the DD60... But respect the coach, and engine!). But, it had been stored outdoors in AZ, had darker paint scheme - and Micro Checking was the reason we kept looking...

And I do like Beaver Patriots, and would target 40' 2002 with CAT C12's - what a great package... (40', because the OP is looking for under 40' - and hoping he jumps up to 40'!).

===

The problem with threads like this... Is so many great coaches exist! And, it comes down to the person writing the check!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
That is exactly what I am thinking , but two Class A parking on the driveway on the side yard won't look very good or I will have to rent put one in storage before I sell the one I have now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post

Tags
coach, country coach