Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2020, 03:33 PM   #43

Depends how old you are

Zzotte
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
The reason DP's are said to be quiet is that the noise is way back in the rear, away from the driver and passengers. If you intend to occupy the rear when traveling (most people don't), then of course you will find it noisy back there. It is a matter of perspective. I never ride in the back, and I cannot hear by engine at all when driving. From my perspective, that is very quiet indeed.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:01 PM   #45

A diesel engine is MUCH noisier than any gas engine!! NO QUESTION ABOUT IT!!
The difference is WHO gets to listen to all the noise!
A gas engine motorcoach ALMOST always has the engine in a "doghouse" between the driver and passenger. Because the doghouse and engine area are never sound insulated, it causes a lot of noise for the driver and passenger.
Otherwise, outside, they are relatively quiet.
A diesel pusher has the engine under the rear of the coach, tyically under the bed. Therefor, most of the noise is in the rear bedroom and outside for the neighbors to hear. The cab area is much quieter.
thartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
The real answer would be a hybrid rv diesel electric like the trains only smaller. A quite diesel genny powering electric drive train.

Maybe I am wrong but it would make the best of both worlds.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #47

The MaxxForce 7 in our Breeze is noisy in the bedroom. It sounds like there is nothing between the engine and my ears, though I have put a lot of effort into making sure the cover over the engine is well sealed, the box around the engine is well sealed, the insulation put in by the factory is in place, and the bedroom windows have no air gaps. All that effort made no difference. I even went to our Ford dealer to listen to a 2010 diesel pickup with the same engine, and yes, they are noisy. Up front while driving , it is always quiet and a real joy, compared to our 1997 Ford class A.
H Steinhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #48

I never would have thought that we would be approaching 50 comments on the comparison of noise between a gas and diesel engine. Does it really matter? Everyone has a preference/need. Some like the power, torque and longevity of a diesel and the rest like the lower cost of the gas. I wonder how much the noise or lack if it plays in ones purchase decision?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:11 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Crasher,

Loudness was one of my top 15 In my list and the main reason I went with a DP.

If there was a rear engine gas I might have gone there but I was looking at 15-20 year old coaches and 100k on a gasser is just about out of life IMHO.

Of course a rear gas I might have been able to go 5-7 years old for the same price. That would only have 30-50k on it.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #50

The use of computer controlled fuel injection have made diesel engines run as quiet as gas engines. The key difference is the diesel engine performs at 2000 rpm. Gas engines need to be revving 4500 to provide peak hp.
edenns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #51

Because our bed is on the slide and there are multiple structural layers insulating engine noise including a custom built carpeted storage under the bed, wife easily naps in the bed while I drive. She says the low hum actually puts her right to sleep. She says she has no trouble hearing the tv either. There is also a closet and storage all the way across the back which may also help idk. The engine access panel is small and between the bed and closet and also well insulated.
When I test drove it my mechanic sat on the bed so he could listen to the engine but said he really couldn’t hear much back there and came up front to monitor gauges.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:59 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
I have to say of all the things I have ever heard about the diesels. I don't recall quiet ever being mentioned. Very happy it is all the way in back following us where ever we go.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #53

You are correct. The bedroom area is more noisy in a pusher
dans1999f-53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #54

Location: Mostly traveling. Several months spent on the Oregon Coast.
Diesel noise

Diesel technology has advanced tremendously in the last 20 years. They are much quieter than your 2000 coach.
Clint11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint11 View Post
Diesel technology has advanced tremendously in the last 20 years. They are much quieter than your 2000 coach.
That’s sounds about right... sounds like a 2000 Freightliner truck... which it is
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:15 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry_star View Post
I have to say of all the things I have ever heard about the diesels. I don't recall quiet ever being mentioned. Very happy it is all the way in back following us where ever we go.
Most every YouTube video lists the major plus of a diesel is, how quiet it is...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, quiet