Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #15

It's mine. I got it off of 1SaleADay. It's a high gain unit and originally had a remote rotator. I would have had to have wires hanging down from the ceiling or would have had to find a way to hide them, so I just use it like a Batwing antenna.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #16

KSCRUDE, that's the antenna on Dunner's coach...I got one jus like it on my 04 Sea Breeze...don't know much about it but it gets an occasional silly look from neighbors from time to time....lol...might have to do some research on it one day...neat how it folds down too on top the coach...probably costs a fortune to replace too...liol
Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It was a little intimidating the first few times driving ours when you looked in the mirror and saw what you were driving but it wasn't difficult. You do have to plan out where you are going more carefully than with your car of course. Some parking lots and gas stations aren't very friendly to big rigs so you may not be able to fill up at the convenience store down the street.

We split the year half in NY and the other in Florida. In NY for a MH over 18,000lbs you are supposed to get a R (recreational vehicle) endorsement on your license. When I asked about it at the local DMV office after a 20 minute wait and pow wow with a few of them trying to figure out what I had to do I got a confused look and a temporary license for it with no date. In Florida if the MH is not used for commercial use all you need is your plain old auto license. We are simply going to change our licenses to Florida if it is not a problem to do so.

BTW the dealer that sold us our MH told us we did not need any special license (this was in NY) to drive it. Do not believe them because they may be afraid to lose the sale.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #18

I think I paid $39.95 for it, made an adapter and used the same retainer pins/clips to mount it the same as stock.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My experience only - YMMV - 19' B-van towing 18' bass boat (overall length about 38') and 38' class A (looking for toad now so can't comment on that just yet).

It seems to me I had more learning curve with backing up with the boat. The B van was large by car and even truck standards. Taller, longer and heavier but no problems at all. Add the boat and the turning took a small time to get acquainted. Very small. A little wider - a little later to clear curbs etc but it followed along very well. It wasn't until backing up that I had to actually practice a bit.

The 38' Class A - a little different story. taller still - much heavier - wider - etc. Now for the funny thing is, is... Once out on the highway, in about 100 miles it was home sweet home. With air ride, power steering, cruise control, auto transmission, 55 degree turning etc - once you actually feel that the thing is under you and you are in full control vs in it and looking for control - you've got it. The big thing is proper adjustment and use of your split mirrors which includes a careful monitoring of what's coming up behind you. My mirrors are adjust to where I have no blind spot and can even see what's in the lane next to me in the side paint reflection of the MH.

The fact that you are sitting up high also gives you the ability to monitor traffic and road conditions way ahead of you. This is important as stopping distance is longer even with the great air brakes on DPs today. You can easily run, slow and go with the traffic but you can't stop like it. The 3 car lengths rule cars no longer follow because they stop on a dime still applies to you.

As for backing up - put the A in my car port storage between two 5'rs first try. Here again mirrors - back up camera and BIL to help make sure I didn't back into to the MH in the slot behind me. As for pulling a toad - backing up not an advisable option so I assume it will be a modest effort to figure out exactly where and when to start the turn. And of course think ahead so not to get into a place you can't get out of.

Hope this helps - just my experience. Whatever you do - I know you will love it. Happy hunting and safe travels.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I think I paid $39.95 for it, made an adapter and used the same retainer pins/clips to mount it the same as stock.
One thing that didn't come from the attic, huhn Dunner?
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #21

I still have 23 element beam antenna, kinda like this, in my attic that I no longer use. Hmmmm....

Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is it hard to drive? ;-)
Old 10-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I still have 23 element beam antenna, kinda like this, in my attic that I no longer use. Hmmmm....

Next time I go through Phx, can I have a look in your attic Dunner? Or would you have to kill me?
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #24

The statute of limitations hasn't run out.

The first ever trip with my MH, cruel mother nature hit me with a strong cross wind. I added the "Cheap Handling Fix" and a sway control to my 20' enclosed and it was much nicer. My 5er was rock steady all the time. Plan any stops so you have little to no backing to do.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
<snip>

BTW the dealer that sold us our MH told us we did not need any special license (this was in NY) to drive it. Do not believe them because they may be afraid to lose the sale.

So true, Mark, same thing in Nevada. For reasons we can all speculate about, RV dealerships seem to consciously not inform buyers that they need a special license even though they know they are residents of the state. We've run into so many people who are surprised that they need to get a Class B license AFTER they have made the purchase of their diesel pusher. Again, to the OP, even though that Changing Gears webpage denotes that in West Virginia, a resident does not need a special license, please double check that with your DMV.

One misconception amongst RV salespeople in our state is that (and we've heard this from one salesman), that a DP owner doesn't have to worry as the coach does not weigh 26,000 lbs. However, it's not how much it weighs as it sits on the lot nor how much it weighs once the owner loads all their stuff on the coach. It is the GVWR that each and every coach is rated for that is being addressed by the law. It's the weight that the coach is capable of handling that the licensing requirements are addressing.

So when you have a salesperson say "Oh, don't worry about a special license, that coach will never weigh close to 26,000 pounds!" is an absolutely false conception. You may not ever get your coach to weigh that much but it is capable of weighing that much so for driver licensing requirements, one still needs to go by the GVWR.

Most diesel pushers will have a GVWR above 26,000 lbs. Most gas Class A coaches will be under 26,000 lbs so I tell people in our state that if you don't want the hassle of getting a special drivers' license, buy a gas coach.

As was said previously, it's ridiculous that laws regarding this are not standardized from state to state for as I said, a WV resident can come to Nevada and drive the same diesel pusher as I have on the same streets and the West Virginia visitor doesn't have to have a special license nor taken any tests to drive that coach but we as residents of Nevada are required to take tests and possess a special license to drive the exact same RV on the exact same streets.

We tell people in our state to get properly licensed. Not because you might get a citation if pulled over for something else (as sometimes LEOs will not be too concerned about it) but rather for liability purposes. Important: if you are not properly licensed in your state of residence and you are involved in a fatality accident or an accident that involves a lot of property damage, your insurance may not cover you if they find that you were not properly licensed in your state of residence. Why take that chance?
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2912N View Post
It is not more difficult to drive than a car. But it is very different. You are driving a whale that does NOTHING qucikly. (with the possible exception of getting you in trouble in a hurry if you don't pay attention.)
X2

"Difficult" isn't the word but you just can't grab the keys, jump in a drive on mental autopilot like we often times drive our autos. It takes some time to develop the skills required to know how much room you require to make various maneuvers.

As mentioned, the type of license required depends on your state. IMO it's important to comply but I suspect that it's a law almost as widely ignored as speed limits.... until you get into an accident. My dealer also told me I didn't need a special license to drive the new 40DP he was selling me in California. I drove it for three years before learning of the requirement.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #27

Thanks 4 all your replys.
One day I will be out there with the rest of you so u better brace yourself while driving if you are on the rd at the sametime lol
Don't worry yet!!!
I'll make sure I leave a note for everyone when or if that day happens lol
Thanks again
Fran
sbdgn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdgn78
Thanks 4 all your replys.
One day I will be out there with the rest of you so u better brace yourself while driving if you are on the rd at the sametime lol
Don't worry yet!!!
I'll make sure I leave a note for everyone when or if that day happens lol
Thanks again
Fran
As you search - there forums for manufactures etc - come back and ask questions. People here have lots of experience with everything from covered wagons (it seems) to the latest and greatest. All willing to share their experiences and knowledge - antennas not withstanding.
Steve and Annie