Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2020, 07:37 AM   #29

It's there if I need it,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 5.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	274364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	274365  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	274366  
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 07:53 AM   #30

US1

Yes, that can be done on the roadside. That's why a carry a tire. Rims are not the same for steer wheel and drive wheel. So, if I wanted to be able to replace the entire flat (tire and rim) I would have to carry two full spares. Not able to do that. Replacing a tire on a rim is rather quick when done by an experienced tow/service person sent out by your roadside assistance policy provider. Sometimes, it may be hours or a day for that person to locate a replacement tire for your rig if you don't have one onboard.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
I’m 2 weeks new to the RV world, but I dont understand why some carry a tire w/o a wheel. Do roadside services unmount the bad and mount the good right there on the side of the road?
Yes. All the time. Much easier than you'd think. As you see semis on the road, look under the trailer. Many have a spare tire rack, and many just carry an unmounted tire.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
I try to keep myself as independent at possible.
This. I too try to stay independent, at least to the degree that I can. I'm not going to replace a blown turbo on the side of the road, but I can certainly change one of my little doughnut wheels if necessary. Having changed hundreds (literally) of 22.5" truck and trailer tires (split rims on Dayton spoke hubs) over the years, often on the side of an interstate, I think I still have enough juice left in me to take care of my little wheels. But if not, some youngster can do it for me.

Quote:
I’m 2 weeks new to the RV world, but I don't understand why some carry a tire w/o a wheel. Do roadside services unmount the bad and mount the good right there on the side of the road?
In addition to the other comments addressing this, road service techs can also break it down and patch (from the inside) the existing tire if it's only a nail and remount it, air it up, check for leaks, and put it back on the coach.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #33
US1

Thanks. I did not know this. Are the 19.5 rims interchangeable front to rear? My RV has a tire/wheel spare underneath.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Thanks. I did not know this. Are the 19.5 rims interchangeable front to rear? My RV has a tire/wheel spare underneath.
Most likely ,, Pretty much for certain if it's a manufacturer supplied spare.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #35

If it's a steel wheel, which it almost certainly is, you may have to use a spacer, or different nuts, when replacing an aluminium wheel. If you even have aluminium wheels, that is.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone for replies

Thanks everyone for replies, good point to consider.

I am going with 6 new SUMO tires and will keep the best Michilen for a spare as it hopefully can get me to a place I can get a new replacement.

Thanks again.
RV_Guy_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:24 PM   #37
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mark, when I owned my 2005 Monaco Diplomat, I carried an unmounted spare in the bay. I carried it because my Diplomat had a small 22.5 tire that was hard to find. Many say they'll just call road service and have them bring out a spare. I always tell them to call their local tire store and see if they carry their tire, at least their size, in stock. Most often they'll have to get it from the warehouse the next day. Now.....take that scenario when you have a flat on Saturday afternoon of a holiday weekend. Where are you going to get a tire. You may not even find a used one, if it's an odd size.

My current coach has a tag axle. In an emergency, I can put any old 22.5 on the tag tire and move one of the tag tires to the front or rear duals.

If you have the room, carry a spare. You don't need a new one, just find a good used one n the same size or close to the same size. The ones you're removing are junk, I wouldn't save one of those.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:49 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Guy_Mark View Post
Thanks everyone for replies, good point to consider.

I am going with 6 new SUMO tires and will keep the best Michilen for a spare as it hopefully can get me to a place I can get a new replacement.

Thanks again.
By SUMO, I guess you mean Sumitomo? That's what I have and they've been working well for me so far.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #39

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Common issue for sure.

To me part of the answer depends on:
1) Do you mostly travel in areas with lots of towns and tire shops? Or out where the next town maybe 100 miles and may have any Tires in your size or even mobil service to help you. In which case it can be a very long wait to get on the road again, maybe days parked there. Might or might not be a friendly place to be parked.

2) Do you have a common tire size or different front and back?

3) Is there ANY place you can carry a spare, mounted or not.

4) Many Class A owners may not be physically able to change a large tire, but having one can be a real saver.

5) A spare tire is like life insurance, you would prefer not to use it.

I've never had a RV (MH or trailer) tire fail or go flat while driving. However, I've had plenty of failures and flats on my cars and trucks all due to road damage, nails and the like and sharp rocks. In one pickup I always carried two spares. On a single trip on some very rough mountain roads I needed three spares in one weekend, ouch.

I am able to and have equipment to change tires on both RVs and my other trucks/cars. So I carry spares for everything and makes sure they are road worthy under full loads. But I go places where there's no cell service and no nearby road assistance folks.

In the end there's no right or wrong solution, but you have to chose and live with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #40

Replacing 6 Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Guy_Mark View Post
I just bought a used Newmar Mountain Aire and the 6 Michelin 235/80 R22.5 are showing cracks on the side walls so I am replacing all 6 tires, probably going with Toyo 245/75 R22.5.

So my Mountain Aire has a spare tire up under the back. Being winter now and wet ground, I did not crawl under the rig to inspect the spare, but it is probably old though protected from sun light.

So I am thinking, is it really worth buying a brand new spare? If I have a blow out, I will be calling Good Sam and could get a new tire when needed, probably a much newer tire than one that would be aging under the RV by the time the next set of Toyos start wearing out.

Intrerested in getting opinions from more experienced RV owners.

Thanks, Mark
Mark,
If you are not already Family Motor Coach members, sign up today.
They have the Michelin Tire Advantage Program available to members. We used it to replace 2 fronts last summer and just started the process to replace the rear 4. Saving $70.00 per tire.
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #41

Commercial Member

I have a few posts on spare tires on my RV Tire Safety blog. Probably your best bet is to have the 6 tires inspected. Keep the best tire -on wheel. Less weight, Service guy can do the tire change and you could save $hundreds.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #42

If you have a NEWMAR motorhome and the rear dual tires blow out, a spare tire isn't going to solve this NEWMAR owner's problems.
https://youtu.be/lRD8nSoJCyU?t=293

The blown tire debris smashed through the rear fender by the engine compartment.
Tire repair guy #1 installs two new tires for the rear. The diesel won't start. The debris from the blown tire went through the rear fender into the engine compartment and trashed the electronic program control box for the diesel and tore out some of the wiring harness. Tow guy #1 disconnected driveshaft for towing and tried to hook up to the front of the MH, but there are no attachment points. Several tow companies declined to bid on this job since they didn't have the equipment.
Ron Pratt came out with his Western Star with Vulcan 70 and was able to do a front wheel tow on the NEWMAR. That MH was never designed to be towed.
You can read about all the details in the attached link.
SailorDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying