Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2021, 07:10 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzjohnfan View Post
May i suggest you seek out user groups, discussion forums, and motorhome groups. I just purchased a 2003 National Dolphin in Feb 2021, without a single sheet of technical info or reciepts!! I quickly joined a National MH group on Facebook and have already learned alot from them. Then i found a National discussion group on this website, and that has been helpful as well, then ive also utilized the FMCA forums for a couple of questions as well.

This is how you can learn about your coach, download manuals and ask alot of questions.

Dont give up!
All great advice, but I would add that you should check out your problems with appropriate searches on YouTube. I have had 3 different class A coaches and have had to work on nearly every system, and have never had a problem yet that wasn't described/repaired by somebody on YouTube.
Just sayin...
Iceman-31D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 07:37 AM   #44

I’ve been an rv’er for over 40 years, and my advice is to not “overthink”, over react to your problems. Research is the key to making your experiences pleasurable.
For instance, generator issue a few years ago, took to a Cummins shop, estimate for repair $10,000, actually cost $400 to fix. Last week, air pressure issue, estimated at $2000 for pump, dryer, etc. After extensive reading, changed dryer filter and purge valve, $50,, all working fine now. If you like someone else to do the services, prepare for paying for needless repairs, these shops need the money more than a reputation. Do not assume these folks know as I’ve seen near identical coaches be different with different parts. Do your diligence and you will not regret it.
SurfsideGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #45

By the way, $500 for a very generic description of you coach systems is a waste of time ( and money). That information is available free!
SurfsideGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #46
JVH

Send a message via ICQ to JVH Send a message via AIM to JVH Send a message via Yahoo to JVH Send a message via Skype™ to JVH
In response to "where are the manuals that tell where everything is" and "where are all the service records"
If you buy a car you don't get any of that, maybe just the owners manual.
If you want a service manual you have to buy it.
It is pretty much the same if you buy a boat or even a house.

This is why we have tons of service companies and people.
If you buy a house and stuff goes wrong, you ether DIY or you hire someone.

I am grateful that there are so many forums and facebook group of people willing to share there knowledge and experience.

RVs are complex systems with lots of parts that interact and have a learning curve to be effective and safe.

If people think RVs are turnkey, grab the lawn chair, beer and go, they are in for a rude awakening.

My coach is 26 years old. My first year was an eye opener. I carry my motorcycle on the back as my toad. I was not allowed to ride motorcycles until I had ether taken a DMV test or taken the MSF training course.

I sometime wonder if new RV owners should be required to do something similar. Or at least be made to watch the move "RV" with Robin Williams...grin
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #47

Welcome to the forum. We purchased a 2000 Monaco Dynasty a little over a year ago and have been working on it off and on since. At first all the repairs look daunting, but tackle one thing at a time. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, however do your research first. Youtube and search boxes! We are about to take our first extended trip with our MH and are pretty excited. The fine people on this forum have offered an unbelievable amount of information and advice. One of the best bits of advice given was to look at the work on the MH as a "Hobby." So, the work has become less intimidating just with the change of attitude. Hobbies are fun and working on and learning about your MH can be also. Good luck with your project and God Bless, Ed
Old 09-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #48

New versus used

I’m not in your RV Class, we bought a brand new 2021 travel trailer. Multiple things have gone wrong and needed repair in our first year. Luckily covered by warranty. We’ve been told by everyone we’ve camped near, that there are always issues. Just like boats, RVs can be money pits, too. Never a dull moment with repairs. Buying a brand new one doesn’t necessarily mean you’re above board with repairs. There are so many issues with hiring good technicians for manufacturing and repairs.
So many people don’t want to train and work in a job these days. So sad
MommaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
I had the Monaco Dynasty built in 2007 (2008 model), owned it for 7.5 yrs. and had the Prevost built in 2014 (2015 model), owned it 6.5 yrs.

Maintenance costs were about the same, same intervals. Prevost parts are generally much more robust than a conventional coach chassis. So, if parts are needed, they might cost more.

One main difference are the Prevost service centers. Since Prevosts are normally passenger buses or entertainer coaches, the service centers are geared to 'get that coach back on the road', 'time is money'!

That is exactly the experience I received from using them. Very efficient, generally one day service or maybe two. I used the Goodlettsville, TN, location mostly and they ran two shifts so if your coach was getting worked on at change-over, then the next crew would take over.

Another plus is that Prevost centers are fully stocked, windshields, air bags, engine parts, chassis parts, alignments, etc. They usually have no problem servicing a 20+ yr. old Prevost.

The ride if very solid, not totally void of rattles (mainly stuff I packed). Air ride is just not as smooth as I think it should be (on both coaches) but a good ride.

Safe travels,
Mark
Thank you Mark
Old 09-19-2021, 04:50 PM   #50

I feel your anxiety. I too have my first used Class A, our 4th RV. I look at the entire thing as a hobbies+adventure. No other way to looks at it. One thing at a time. I prioritize each issue and keep a to do list on my phone.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:29 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notn2bars View Post
Welcome to the forum. We purchased a 2000 Monaco Dynasty a little over a year ago and have been working on it off and on since. At first all the repairs look daunting, but tackle one thing at a time. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, however do your research first. Youtube and search boxes! We are about to take our first extended trip with our MH and are pretty excited. The fine people on this forum have offered an unbelievable amount of information and advice. One of the best bits of advice given was to look at the work on the MH as a "Hobby." So, the work has become less intimidating just with the change of attitude. Hobbies are fun and working on and learning about your MH can be also. Good luck with your project and God Bless, Ed
Like you we bought an older rig, in our case a 1999 Fleetwood Discovery 37V. I cannot agree more with the one thing at a time philosophy. There are always issues that need to be addressed. Pick the most critical and learn about it and fix it or have it fixed. The forums are full of info and I’ve learned how to do things I didn’t know how to do.

Tags
rust