Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2021, 12:52 AM   #1

Is it worth the frustration??????

This is my 2nd RV in two years. moved from a class C to Class A. The problem is not being wealthy enough to buy new rather that used....used. Also there is never enough information available for (servicing by owner) as to P.O. generally has not maintained records or fails to passes along all the paperwork , as in manuals etc. or the manufacturer does not provide a comprehensive manuals or technical info. We have a trip planned for OCT and can't get professional RV service for 4 to 6 weeks. One service center is offering a hands on explanation of our Class A's function for $500.00 for 3 hr. lecture. Hey all I want is to locate all of the fuse, breaker and relay panels. We have a new to us 1997 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager Model 8293 SYD 31' 4". with Cummins 5.9 turbo Diesel. The Chassis Air conditioner doesn't work but the side mounted twin condenser fans run continuously. Where is the darn Relay....I had new refrigerant added and they tech could not get the compressor to engage. Does the compressor have a pressure switch and or a relay? Where are they located??? Leveling jacks are hit and miss. Project of another day. Odometer in malfunctioning has very faint numbers. It has togggl/rocker switches everywhere and they operate what?? Elec step is shorted and dead. The P.O. had a 1000kw inverter installed and I don't know how it works.
Enough crying. If someone is in the same boat or has info. I am a quite needy individual. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.
We are located in So. Ca's. inland empire. Text me at 909 556 2235.
Thanks
dennis.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2021, 04:23 AM   #2

Owning a motor coach is not for the faint hearted. Even with all the manuals, there will still be questions. If your wallet is thin, you have to have some amount of technical expertise or be willing to learn.

There are two sets of manuals for motor coaches - a chassis manual and a coach manual. You need them both as they each have their own wiring diagrams and fuse blocks. A little digging around on the Net will usually result in finding copies of the manuals.

Refrigerant can not be added to an AC unit if the compressor isnít running.

Yes, there are relays for the compressor and their location very likely described in the chassis manual.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:32 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Dig and search for info.. Manuals are hard to find sometimes and are also generic and vague on some models..

Take a breathe... take it easy, frustration will only make it worse,, one obstacle at a time.. and it will take much time..

As far as paying $500 .. wee up to you but even if you record 3hrs,, It will not be enough with a Q&A session..

with luck you will come across a person who had been there and done that.

RV manufactures hold info as a holy grail so dealers can make money, drive you back to them.. or they just dont make it public,, info that is, drawings, detailed stuff..

again good luck and welcome to the mad house..
sibe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:42 AM   #4

Go to the top of this page and click onto 'owner's forums' and scroll down to Gulf Stream and ask your question there. You might find the help you need there.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:37 AM   #5

Are there any other coolers, oil tranny, stacked with the AC condenser? If so the fans probably run to also cool them. The chassis systems are automotive so installation may be different but they operate the same. There should be a switch for AC pressure, did you take it to an AC place when you had the refrigerant added? A good tech might have to look for components but should be able to identify them within a couple of minutes.

You've got a few weeks before your trip, decide what is a necessity and what you can live with (if you have an operational generator you can run that and the roof air and cross the chassis air off your list for now). Then start going over the motor home looking everywhere. Hands on is the best way to become familiar with locations of components and how they operate. It's also how you'll see potential problems and be able to correct them before they leave you frustrated again. I've never seen manuals that pinpoint the location of most components, most are very generic for several models and years.

FWIW, if you read this forum for awhile a lot of new RVs seem to frustrate owners as much or more than used. They have problems also, service is slow and sometimes marginal, and most have healthy payments to make while their RV sits.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:14 AM   #6

The OP makes a very compelling argument to turn down any motor home offering that does not include owner records of servicing as well as all manuals for the various operating systems on the coach. To rely on the internet for such information is a bad joke, given the quality of internet in most RV parks.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:34 AM   #7

Amzgraz,

I just wanted to point out that if you ever need service/repairs, I've had excellent work done by Redlands Truck and RV services in Redlands, CA.

They repaired/adjusted the slide-out on my Dynasty, performed air service, chassis service, etc. They also set-up two of my tow vehicles with base plates and supplemental braking systems.

Redlands Truck was able to fix my dash air the FIRST time whereas Colton Truck gave three expensive attempts (avoid Colton Truck Terminal in Colton).

Redlands Truck also has an RV park just down the street for their customers.

Hope everything works well for you.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:21 AM   #8

If you are not handy, there is no hobby that will suit you. RVs need a professional inspection prior to purchase if you do not know how or understand the systems. Read the manuals and if the coach did not come with them, you should have walked away. Sorry if this sounds harsh but buyer beware is always key. I wish you luck. If I lived by you I would try to help you
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #9

[Exrench] makes a good point. When looking to purchase an older used coach if the manuals and detailed service records are not available, it's time to walk away and look elsewhere. Service records can say a lot about the coach, but speaks volumes about the owners care of the coach. However, this does not help the OP. As was mentioned, going to the Gulf Stream section should help with the problems you are having. Someone there has had similar issues and can help.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:36 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Is it worth the frustration? If you don't have extra money and time and a very flexible schedule than I would say no. So generally, if you are asking that question I would say it's not worth it.

Keep a log about your problems and work on one at a time starting with anything that keeps you from being able to use the MH.

p.s. I'll check back tomorrow...... gotta go pull my jack to have it rebuilt.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:39 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by exrench View Post
The OP makes a very compelling argument to turn down any motor home offering that does not include owner records of servicing as well as all manuals for the various operating systems on the coach. To rely on the internet for such information is a bad joke, given the quality of internet in most RV parks.
We'd all still be looking for the diamond in the rough.

You definitely can't wait to find the manuals you need. Start looking and downloading before you have a problem.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:26 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I purchased a 2002 Tiffen last year. my first class A. Got it from a dealer in FLA. I am a pretty handy guy and the coach had no paperwork records or manuals. I was able to search the internet with model and serial #s and download what I needed to operate and repair most of the coaches systems. The best source for info and advice for me has been this forum. So heads up and don't be discouraged. One problem at a time.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #13

Take pics of all tags and part# you find different parts your having trouble with as well as other things. When you have question you have them handy.The phone app is easiest to post pics from gallery or right in post.
Some posted the only thing that always works on a MH is the owner....truer words never spoken..... Just fixed generator as it had weak starter but when it did start only very well charge batteries the automatic transfer switch never gave me a problem. Went through the generator guess what contacts or relay for the transfer switch are now messing up on the generator side never problem that had before. At least I don't have to go back into the generator knock on wood, panic had set in trust me.
Older coaches have simpler electrical systems no digital control smart systems that can be difficult to get repaired or replaced.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #14

You bought a 24 year old coach, what were you thinking? Something like that is for people that are mechanically inclined and the time and tools to work on them. Something smaller & 10 years newer would have been a better bet.

Tags
rust