Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cool Is my RV nose down?

I recently bought a older Class-A. I poured a landing pad to park it on. I took extra care to ensure the pad was level front to back and side to side.

When I parked my RV on the pad, my leveling app indicated that I was low in the front. I confirmed this with a bubble level in the frig and several surfaces.

I don't have leveling jacks, so I used ramps to raise the front until the inside was level. It took 3 inches.

Anyone have any ideas why my RV is nose down?
pvancil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 06:00 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvancil View Post
I recently bought a older Class-A. I poured a landing pad to park it on. I took extra care to ensure the pad was level front to back and side to side.

When I parked my RV on the pad, my leveling app indicated that I was low in the front. I confirmed this with a bubble level in the frig and several surfaces.

I don't have leveling jacks, so I used ramps to raise the front until the inside was level. It took 3 inches.

This is typical for the Ford F-53 chassis. V-10 gasser.
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:02 PM   #3

If it’s a gasser maybe the engine, maybe rear has heavier springs,I doubt not many are level front to back.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #4

My old 93 pace arrow on the p30 chassis was nose low
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #5

I've had three RV's on the F-53 V10 chassis spanning from 1999 to 2016. All three sat perfectly level on my level pad. Two were Fleetwood and one was a Newmar. Maybe I got lucky.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
I've had three RV's on the F-53 V10 chassis spanning from 1999 to 2016. All three sat perfectly level on my level pad. Two were Fleetwood and one was a Newmar. Maybe I got lucky.
Our 2001 itasca sunrise 30w on ford f53 sits perfectly level also
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:19 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum!

Are the tires the same size as was OE?
Has their been additions to the rear springs either by adding spacers or airbags?
Old 05-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
Maybe we did too, but our 2017 model sets level on a level pad.

As Tha_Rooster suggested, maybe the rear springs are heavier than stock or something else was done to stiffen the rear.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:20 PM   #9

Quote:

Well pvancil,
You say yours is an "Older" class A. You don't say just exactly what year/make/model/chassis/engine etc. As you can read, not all coaches are created equal. Just because any number of ones on here sit level, on a level surface, that does NOT mean that yours or everyone's should. There's all kinds of reasons. Mostly suspension is the governing factor. Just for grins, if yours is a gasser (assumed), does it by any chance, have additional air bags in the rear? Some folks added those to the rear, to bolster up sagging rear leaf springs. Some did it so they could carry more weight and or, be able to cope with some harsh tongue weight of a trailer, who knows?

If there's no additional air bags, then it's quite possible that it's just the rear springs that are strong enough to make that thing have it's rake. Or, it's also possible the front springs are WEAK, causing it to be a bit lower in the front. Again, lots of this is assumption. Let us know what you find out.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:06 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Is My RV Nose Down?

We have a 2011 Tiffin 34TGA gasser on the F53 chassis, about 39K miles. We have noted that in profile, the coach resembles an old Camero I had in high school, tail high, nose down. Our travel buddies with a 2017 Newmar gasser on F53 have similar issues.
If the pad we park on is level, the auto-level system handles it and front tires stay (minimally) in contact with ground. But if the pad is older/unlevel, and adds to our nose-down attitude, we use interlocking blocks under the front tires, about 3”, prior to auto-leveling. This keeps the auto-level from lifting front wheels off the ground.
Not sure why the coach is nose-low; we have considered weakened front suspension parts, just poor weight distribution with front engine, or strong rear springs to allow for more loaded weight to be carried over the rear axel.
Fancy Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:59 AM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile Thanks for the quick replies.

Thanks everyone. I am new to class-As. I assumed all thinks were level. Never thought about thinks like shocks and springs. What everyone says makes sense.

I got a good deal on. 2003 RVision Trail-Lite. It only has 12300 miles. I ran a report and confirmed this. My mechanic gave a thumbs up on the engine, drive train, and under carriage. The only thing that seems funky is the breaks. I think there is a lot of travel in the petal, but my mechanic say everything is fine. Again, it may be that I am just new to something bigger than my F 150 PU.

The RV is built on a GMC Workhorse frame. As far as I know the suspension is stock.

Again, thanks for the information. Anything else will be greatly appreciated.
pvancil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I am new to class-As. I assumed all thinks were level. Never thought about thinks like shocks and springs. What everyone says makes sense.

I got a good deal on. 2003 RVision Trail-Lite. It only has 12300 miles. I ran a report and confirmed this. My mechanic gave a thumbs up on the engine, drive train, and under carriage. The only thing that seems funky is the breaks. I think there is a lot of travel in the petal, but my mechanic say everything is fine. Again, it may be that I am just new to something bigger than my F 150 PU.

The RV is built on a GMC Workhorse frame. As far as I know the suspension is stock.

Again, thanks for the information. Anything else will be greatly appreciated.
Roger that Sir,
Thanks for getting back on here with your pertinent info of your coach. As far as a "LEVEL" pad, yep, we've been at many, many RV resorts, campgrounds etc. that have nice, what appears to be, really level parking pads. But, when either using the auto-leveling system or, doing manually, the coach ends up needing more that some of us think, in order to achieve level, according to coach components, i.e. fridge, LED lights on HWH control pads etc.
It is what it is. Some folks do not like carrying lumber around for additional leveling but, I've found it invaluable for all kinds of camping situations.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #13

I think my rig rides a bit nose low also. Workhorse P32 chassis. But it’s not on a level pad for me to check.

As far as the brakes, the P32 chassis is noted for having weak brakes. The power brake system is driven by a “Hydroboost” system that gets its power from the power steering pump. Long pedal travel seems to be one of the normal operating conditions. I’ve replaced rotors, pads, bled the system twice, and only gotten marginal improvement. I think it’s safe, and I drive very defensively, but there are certainly many rigs out there with better brakes. Just stay as aware as you can of traffic and road conditions. Think like a big rig driver!
gozierdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #14

It's possible there are air bags inside the front coil springs. The originals on my 03 Workhorse dry rotted/disintegrated after about 6 years. However, their absence only amounted to maybe a 1 inch drop,,, nowhere near 3 inches.