Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We drive 63 to 70 on the freeway. Depending on traffic and how terrible the freeway is.

If light traffic and smooth roads I feel comfortable letting it roll a little. My DW does some freeway driving and stays 63 - 66.

I agree with driving your comfortable speed.

I have a 605 HP engine and it does not seem to matter much for my fuel economy. We get 6.8 MPG.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2020, 07:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The most important speed to drive is the one you are comfortable with. The speed that you feel you are in control for any event. Do not under any circumstances drive at a speed others want to to drive. You are the one responsible for your safety. Driving 60, as long as the transmission is in 6th gear, will get you better fuel economy that driving 65 or 70. If driving 60 on the interstate upsets some drivers, it's their problem, not yours. As long as there is a second or third open lane for others to pass you, you are not "That Guy", they are "Those Guys". Be safe and enjoy your RV.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #45

you may be diff but honestly if i drive too slowly my concentration wanders mo and that does become dangerous, and besides rarely is there much interesting stuff to see on I-95 or most interstates.

and i for one hate a slow driver not at prevalent speed, it is an 'island' that ALL traffic has to flow around, which is dangerous to ALL, causing ALL traffic to find a way around has to add danger to ALL.

just go the speed as most are, but keep it sensible for YOUR own driving skill, as a wreck is worse than a slow monster 'island' !!!

imo, it is not speed that kills, but speed difference that kills, just drive over that fallen motorcyclist - just a bump in road !!

and yes being silly !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
I agree with you and it doesn’t make any difference if you’re driving 60 or 70 most [Moderator Edit] are driving 80-90 or more. Interstate speed limit is 45-70 so if you’re doing between those speeds you are a LAW abiding citizen. What part of speed LIMIT do people not understand. Lackadaisical speeders, texting, talking on phone, eating is what gets people killed. They get in an auto and think they’re 10 ft tall and bullet proof, but in reality they’re just self centered egotistical jerks that think they’re the only ones that should be on the road.
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
So we all buy a Motorhome that cost more than most folks homes then like the other gentleman posted we look for a free place stay and we worry about our fuel mileage.
My feeling is drive how ever fast I feel the conditions allow and do my best to not hold up traffic. Most of the time I drive the speed limit whatever it is up to about 78. My last two coaches seem to like the 75-78mph speed when conditions allow but rarely do I drive under 70 again unless conditions don’t allow for it. If you think about it you drive your coach to a destination and then unhook and run around in your towed, in my case what I put on the back of my trailer. I personally think driving 60 when the speed limit is 70-75 is a bit slow and is as big of hazard as someone driving faster than traffic allows.
Well Said !
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:21 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Mr. Ted, I invite you to perform an experiment. Get on the interstate highway and set your cruise control at 70 mph or whatever the speed limit is. I will pretty much guarantee you that you will likely be the slowest vehicle on the road, including trucks. I drive 65 mph most of the time and nearly everyone on the road passes me. My point being that driving legally is very, very uncommon. Want another example? The correct following distance on the highway following the old 2 second rule is 205.3333 feet. he current recommendation is 3 second or 308 feet. Most people on the road follow at a much closer interval, generally some small fraction of that distance. My point is that just because many or most people do something doesn't make it legal or safe, it just makes it common.
Since the speed limit on most interstates is 75 even in AZ i dont have the problems you are having since im am not "most people" . Anyone who says they only drive at (a given speed) is not very attuned to there surroundings and are most definitely a Hazard to the general motoring public. That , This is my road and i will do whatever i want attitude is selfish and unsafe. And with all those professional trucks continually passing you with Billions of miles between them. Well, They must be wrong also...
Old 11-17-2020, 07:23 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
So we all buy a Motorhome that cost more than most folks homes then like the other gentleman posted we look for a free place stay and we worry about our fuel mileage.
My feeling is drive how ever fast I feel the conditions allow and do my best to not hold up traffic. Most of the time I drive the speed limit whatever it is up to about 78. My last two coaches seem to like the 75-78mph speed when conditions allow but rarely do I drive under 70 again unless conditions don’t allow for it. If you think about it you drive your coach to a destination and then unhook and run around in your towed, in my case what I put on the back of my trailer. I personally think driving 60 when the speed limit is 70-75 is a bit slow and is as big of hazard as someone driving faster than traffic allows.

Dangerous conclusion! A MH having a front tire blow out at 78 MPH won't be survivorable for the occupants or even vehicles nearby. That is the definition of being a hazard!
Like another poster commented on, it is unheard of to hear of a rear end accident on a highway as long as the vehicles are staying within the posted speed limits. It just does not happen.
Basic drivers training lesson SPEED KILLS!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
For a fact-based look at what affects MPG as well as speed expectations on grades:

https://www.prevostcommunity.com/PDF...%20economy.pdf

Thanks for sharing this is a great article!
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Dangerous conclusion! A MH having a front tire blow out at 78 MPH won't be survivorable for the occupants or even vehicles nearby. That is the definition of being a hazard!
Like another poster commented on, it is unheard of to hear of a rear end accident on a highway as long as the vehicles are staying within the posted speed limits. It just does not happen.
Basic drivers training lesson SPEED KILLS!
Another conclusion... Think of how many accidents could be avoided if we all drove at 20 MPH ? Maybe 10 would be even safer ?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:51 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
Another conclusion... Think of how many accidents could be avoided if we all drove at 20 MPH ? Maybe 10 would be even safer ?
But that would be illegal on most interstates and you would be liable for the results? Driving between the minimum and the maximum posted limits is legal. Why is the slower driver (@ 60 mph) the problem? If he is uncomfortable driving faster, why should he do so if he is already at a legal speed just to accommodate the faster driver? The road is for all to use legally. I am responsible for avoiding what is in front of me. The same goes for the guy following or passing me.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
you may be diff but honestly if i drive too slowly my concentration wanders mo and that does become dangerous, and besides rarely is there much interesting stuff to see on I-95 or most interstates.

and i for one hate a slow driver not at prevalent speed, it is an 'island' that ALL traffic has to flow around, which is dangerous to ALL, causing ALL traffic to find a way around has to add danger to ALL.

just go the speed as most are, but keep it sensible for YOUR own driving skill, as a wreck is worse than a slow monster 'island' !!!

imo, it is not speed that kills, but speed difference that kills, just drive over that fallen motorcyclist - just a bump in road !!

and yes being silly !
To each their own. I drive within the speed limit. It is not incumbent on me to speed to satisfy your speeding. If I’m driving the speed limit and you’re speeding and run into me or anyone within the speed limit guess who’s going to be at fault.
You said go to the speed most are which would be somewhere between 80-100. Most if not all tires for a Mh are speed rated at max 75mph so not only would you be breaking the law you would be above the speed rating for the tires.
Anyone taking that advice in a large Mh has no business on the road.
You can speed, text, eat, talk on the phone and think you’re a great multitasker until one day it catches up with you and you die or worse kill someone else.
Someone was talking about all these great multi mile over the road drivers and while most are good there are a lot of large accidents cause by 18 wheelers.
It appears a lot/most people get in an auto and disengage their brain. Driving is one of the most dangerous things you can do and should demand your full attention every minute you’re behind the wheel, especially in a large vehicle.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post

and yes being silly !
I get the impression from your reply you cannot concentrate unless you are doing something illegal or dangerous. To me that is a warning sign of dementia. If that is the case it may be time to hang up the keys.
Then again you might be just gaslighting us.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:06 PM   #54

Alpine Owners Club
I usually drive the posted TRUCK speed limit since we're well over 26klb.
Somewhere between 60-65 mph. Right or center lane. If you don't like it, that's what the hammer lane is for. There was a time we always stayed in the right lane, but people entering the interstate have no idea how to merge anymore.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
SPEED KILLS!

Nonsense! If you have an accident because of a tire blowout at 78 mph on a relatively straight highway, It’s because you are an un-skilled driver who over-reacts because you are ill-prepared and or un-focused and should not be driving. Unfortunately there are a high percentage of poor drivers on the road.

Driving slow does not make anyone a good driver. Less of a hazard at a poor skill level? Possibly. Thus you should drive a speed you are comfortable with. And don’t worry about the speed I’m traveling.

All those truck tire carcasses along the road and most truck wrecks are caused by passenger car drivers who did something stupid around them.

I’ve had a few blowouts over the course of many years snd many many miles of driving and never even swerved out of my lane. A truck steers surprisingly well on the rim or what’s left of a blown tire. 2 hands on the wheel at all times and a cool head does help.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:04 AM   #56

Rob_M

"All those truck tire carcasses along the road and most truck wrecks are caused by passenger car drivers who did something stupid around them."

Not sure where you get your statistics on that comment. Truck tire carcasses are usually recaps coming off of the tire. Don't know how you find car drivers responsible for recaps. Or, that "most" truck accidents are cause by car drivers. Thinking that may just be your opinion. Which, of course, is your right to opine.

The most common cause of truck accidents is fatigue by overworked drivers. Most truck drivers normally drive over long distances for many hours with very little rest in between. ... The accumulated fatigue causes them to lose concentration, coordination and sometimes they end up sleeping on the wheel. Oct 19, 2020

More data:

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety/res...analysis-brief

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel