Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #15

No noise from the door on my Berkshire.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #16

If you want real quite, try an Entegra. The door has a second latch near the top front of the door that is air operated when the parking brake is released. It also has air activated locks on all the pocket doors to keep them from rattling. The door also has a faring on the front edge to divert the wind.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:20 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My front door was manufactured by PTL Engineering Inc. and has a pneumatic slide latch on the hinge side of the door that engages when the parking brake is released. It wasn't working when I purchased the coach and it rattled and had lots of wind noise. I repaired it by installing a new solenoid valve, regulator and had to run a new air line up the door jamb. It's all silent now.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:24 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Love our DP. Have not noticed any real wind noise. Does have a squeak on rough roads...DH said might need to be adjusted or seal lubed but it's nothing bad and definitely doesn't take from our pleasure of road tripping!
Old 12-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Our front door had a squeak on concrete roads. Stan added the electrical tape to the latch....no more noise!!! He just has to replace the tape on occasion. Adjusting the door did not help with squeak...tape was the answer. There isn't any wind noise either.
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #20

OP,
Having a door near the front of the coach, as in about 99.99% of most D/P units, can often be presented with it's own set of issues to deal with, than a door in the middle of a coach. There are different wind/turbulence effects at the front corner, than there are half way down the length of a rolling Kleenex box.

So, the seals alone, may have more stress on them to prevent intrusive air/turbulence. Second, different coach manufacturers hinge and support the front door differently from each other. And, not only that but, some of those front doors are considerably heavier than their mid-coach counterparts. The fitment between the outer perimeter of a door and the door jamb, sill and header is of better quality and fit on some, than others.

And that's where the seal comes into play. If the seal can have enough flex and support, then no matter what kind of built in gap there is, the seal can and, often will, do it's job and the result is, a quieter and better riding door, with less to no wind whistles.

But, as time and mileage take their tolls, these door-to-seal conditions, often worsen. A new seal quite possibly could be the answer if, one is experiencing those wind issues.

There are mechanical issues as well. If, as I stated above, you have a heavier door, then it could be leaning or failing at the hinges, causing rubbing, latch noise, excessive latch wear, and door sill wear. Pretty tough to deal with situations like that but, not impossible.

We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, a front door. We love it. It does however, develop a propensity for seal rub/screeching during rougher road conditions every now and then. I've been diligent in checking all door hinge mount screws on a periodic basis to make sure that the door is not sagging and causing excessive seal pressure and wear. And, every once in a while, I spray down a paper towel with spray silicone and wipe the entire door seal, all the way around.

That will provide a lube between the seal and the door. That allows any door movement exerted by coach movement, i.e. bad roads, etc. to move more freely without squeaking/etching and and, will also provide a tad bit better seal due to the fact that, that Silicone will actually soften the seal a tad which, will provide a better fit between any gaps, screw heads, dips, ledges (hinge edges etc.).

So, this is just some of what can be done to help a front door/jamb relationship endure time and miles. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #21

Thanks Scott for that excellent post. From the many things I've read on the noise issue. One of them most certainly that helps keep things quieted down is keeping the seals on the door and slides properly lubricated.

A Motorhome is something you need to keep up with and of that I have no doubt! I'm actually looking forward to it. Not because I'm a crazy person, although there is that, but more because I've always found something you take care of will take care of you!

Thanks for your post Scott and all who have participated!

Harry
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Thanks Scott for that excellent post. From the many things I've read on the noise issue. One of them most certainly that helps keep things quieted down is keeping the seals on the door and slides properly lubricated.

A Motorhome is something you need to keep up with and of that I have no doubt! I'm actually looking forward to it. Not because I'm a crazy person, although there is that, but more because I've always found something you take care of will take care of you!

Harry
Harry,
You're most certainly welcome. Yep, no doubt about it, motor homes are something one definitely needs to keep up on. Glad to be of some help here.
Scott
Old 12-26-2016, 06:16 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Harry
IMO, you have to be a little crazy to own a motorhome 😁.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
IMO, you have to be a little crazy to own a motorhome 😁.
Roger that!!
Scott
Old 12-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
Our Dream is quiet, no noise whatsoever.
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #26

I agree Lisa, a noisy coach is a er, noisy coach!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #27

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
I agree Lisa, a noisy coach is a er, noisy coach!
Lol! 😉
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, noise