Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #1

Is the front door of the DP a big source of noise?

My DW asked that question the other day and I didn't have the answer. Two of the DP's I drove had side doors and if it made noise I didn't hear it. The others had front doors but I don't remember any wind noise etc. Sometimes when doing something new your attention is elsewhere. Although I remember one of them really made a racket going over bumps. The salesman said it could be easily fixed!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2016, 08:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
My DW asked that question the other day and I didn't have the answer. Two of the DP's I drove had side doors and if it made noise I didn't hear it. The others had front doors but I don't remember any wind noise etc. Sometimes when doing something new your attention is elsewhere. Although I remember one of them really made a racket going over bumps. The salesman said it could be easily fixed!

Don't expect any noise to go away unless it's fixed before delivery. One reason that wind, road and rattles are noticed in DPs is because the engine noise is so muted & far away.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

Hi Steve,

Would you say that wind noise from the door is expected? You don't get noise like that with a car because of the seals. A DP door has seals as well but is of course a larger door.

If there's noise its either the seal or the door is out of true right? Both of which should be fixable!
Old 12-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There should not be any wind noise from the door. There should not be any odd noises from anywhere. Get them fixed before delivery. They can be difficult to impossible to fix. Always remember, salesman don't tell the truth. And if any promise is not in writing, it's worthless.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #5

Hi Vince,

When you say "Get them fixed before delivery. They can be difficult to impossible to fix" sounds ominous! I thought most things and noises can be tracked down and fixed? When you say "impossible to fix" that's an attention getter!
Old 12-23-2016, 08:48 AM   #6

Quote:
I spent a lot of time adjusting my door and filling it with insulation. It is much better than what it was but still noisy.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #7

Hi pcourt23,

Bounded, that's a gasser with a side entry door right? It was making so much noise you could hear it from the cockpit? I wouldn't have expected that!
Old 12-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Would you say that wind noise from the door is expected? You don't get noise like that with a car because of the seals. A DP door has seals as well but is of course a larger door.

If there's noise its either the seal or the door is out of true right? Both of which should be fixable!

I wouldn't say expected. The door being close to where the front cap meets the sidewall can cause noise. Sometimes coach builders will put trim strips to act as air dams and interrupt air flow. Some coach builders put an inflatable rubber air bladder around the door which inflates when the vehicle is put in gear and deflates in neutral.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #9

That "inflatable rubber air bladder around the door" sounds like a good idea to me Steve, as it would help with rattles as well. If your door has a problem is this something you could install or have installed?
Old 12-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
That "inflatable rubber air bladder around the door" sounds like a good idea to me Steve, as it would help with rattles as well. If your door has a problem is this something you could install or have installed?

I don't know of any after market kit but I'm guessing that it's a possibility but most likely labor intensive. It's a solution that a number of mid to upper end coach builder use.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #11

A bladder system like that could have some of its own problems as well I would be my guess?
Old 12-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
I had an 05 Scepter that the door rattled and had wind noise. I had an 06 Intrigue with the same problem. I had it in the shop 3 times during the first 3 years I owned it and finally gave up trying to get it fixed. My Eagle has an air lock system that works great. Very little noise.
I agree with those that say get them to fix problems before you take delivery. Most salesmans promises turn to dust after the check is written.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our Revolution has the air bladder system but it does not inflate and deflate. Just enough air in it to make a tight seal. Very quiet door.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
On a DP with the door up front it will make noise as I found out when I inadvertently put a small hole in the door bladder. A small inertube repair patch fixed that. The bladder is a great addition look for that on any coach you buy its works well. My Beaver is as quiet as can be.

Tags
door, noise