Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2021, 12:16 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Is There Something Wrong With This?

Am I wrong in thinking that this price is too good to be true?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...363917822.html
Lelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2021, 12:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems fishy to me. Isn't a Monaco Windsor a big rear engine diesel pusher? At one point in the ad it says it is 23 feet long - smallest Windsor that year was over 34 feet, most were much bigger. A generator that is 4000 watts runs a smaller 30 amp rig - not a 50 amp rig with multiple ACs. Also, 8 cylinders seems like it might be describing a gas rig.

There is some Craigslist scam where these motorhome and boat ads are copied, mixed up, and re-posted, but I'm not sure how it works. I certainly don't trust it to be a true vehicle for sale.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:35 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You're right. I'll call in the morning just to be sure
Lelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:45 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelah View Post
Am I wrong in thinking that this price is too good to be true?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...363917822.html
It's in Portland It's a scam. People getting beat up in broad daylight. Take several big guys with you or a police officer., if you do check it out. I wouldn't trust anyone in Portland right now.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:55 AM   #5

Some models of road master chassis had trailing arm issues maybe?
Old 08-11-2021, 05:51 AM   #6

I've been searching for an enclosed trailer, and I keep finding links to ads on Craigslist, but I've stopped following them.

I don't understand how they're making money off of these scam ads, but they all - 9 of the last 9 - turn out to be nonexistent. Nice pictures, a Craigslist email link, but never any response and then the ad is "flagged for removal" by CL after a day or two.

(I should add: the scam ads have all been "by owner" ads. The dealer-placed ads have been real.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:11 AM   #7

Could be real... that phone number comes up as a landline in the Medford, Oregon area.
Craigslist scammers usually want you to contact them through a separate email. (Never do that) They will then ask for info like Paypal account or info they can provide to a shipper. In reality, they slowly get info and piece it all together like a puzzle in order to access your accounts and/or open lines of credit in your name.
I will only do face to face cash transactions when buying or selling vehicles. I always meet at a busy public location and I also verify all cash is real in front of the buyer.
I have a separate party watching and ready for any issues that may arise.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:49 AM   #8

I´m sure its a scam. When I was looking for mine, the fishy ones usually with no or very positive descriptions. And pricing far below NAPA. One other rule of thumb: Very few or just one image.

That not "grey" and def above 30". That size never with an Onan 4000.

For curiosity I was contacting a few of them: Usually stored somewhere else. And they offered me home delivery with down payments. No inspection possible.

Thats where they make money from my perspective. Buyers get greedy and transfer some money without seeing the rig.
Ruediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
I've been searching for an enclosed trailer, and I keep finding links to ads on Craigslist, but I've stopped following them.

I don't understand how they're making money off of these scam ads, but they all - 9 of the last 9 - turn out to be nonexistent. Nice pictures, a Craigslist email link, but never any response and then the ad is "flagged for removal" by CL after a day or two.

(I should add: the scam ads have all been "by owner" ads. The dealer-placed ads have been real.)

They "handed" me over to home delivery service when I try to find out how the scam is working. Down payments before delivery. Offering the rig to be inspected after delivery. Which I believe will never happen.
Ruediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #10

It looks like someone who knows nothing about motorhomes has combined two different ads to come up with this enticing one. Certain things mentioned are not in a Monaco coach. I wouldn't even waste a phone call on that one unless I could drive up and look at it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:03 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelah View Post
You're right. I'll call in the morning just to be sure
I don't think you should call.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
They "handed" me over to home delivery service when I try to find out how the scam is working. Down payments before delivery. Offering the rig to be inspected after delivery. Which I believe will never happen.
Those type of scammers will sometimes have a website or a physical address. When you google map the address, it usually comes up as a location in a high rise building in a big city. In other words... it doesn't actually exist.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
~3 years ago I was looking for a ~25' enclosed trailer. Found one on Craigslist that seemed to be legit at a decent price. So I made contact and arrangements to go inspect.

The trailer was real but things didn't add up. Recently painted, no VIN on it, padlock on hitch was cut (duh). And NO title! Wiring was also screwed up and the brakes didn't work. Wiring harness got hot when plugged into my hitch.
When I was talking to the guy I asked about the VIN and he said he pulled the sticker off to paint the trailer and showed it to me so I took a picture. I did not buy the rig.
When I got home (different state) I called the police to see if they could run the VIN, an officer called me back and said they don't do that for individuals so I thought that was that. About 5 minutes later the officer called me back and said he and his commander checked he VIN and the trailer was indeed stolen from a 3rd state. He said he would give my contact info to the 3rd state police and a detective did call me and I provided him all the information.

The Craigslist sent me a PM a couple days later and said the trailer was no longer for sale

So maybe I was able to get someone property back and I didn't get screwed.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Definitely too good to be true! Something wrong for sure! Run, don't walk!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote