Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2021, 05:57 AM   #57

FYI to fill my my tanks I got a water hose meter reader from Amazon. Hook it up to your water hose and it will tell you how many gallons you are putting in. it calculates both accumulative watering volume and singular water. If you howl fresh water then you can figure the weight, 1 gallon weighs 8.34 lbs.
Chuckog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2021, 06:01 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
OMG.... I too subscribe to the C_D method... I put Crap in it and Dump only...

As stated, to each his own... however, I'm out vacationing, not working at the sewer processing plant

There are 100's of YouTube videos about this very subject, here's one focusing on the Ice cube project:

Old 03-29-2021, 06:57 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Man, what a waste. I just empty the ice bin in the toilet when I break camp for home along with about 5 gallons of water and let the ice scrub the tank. If I think I have a clogging issue I just just put some calgon or epson salt in the tank to wash away it's worries.
Yeah, count on a Bubble Head to think outside the box. That is actually a good idea. Only reservation I have is the cubes damaging the sensors.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:39 AM   #60

Exhaust Fan can be your Enemy

Using the exhaust fan will blow odors to the outside, BUT using the fan while the toilet is open, will draw the stinky air in from the black tank. The same way that the fan will draw air in from under the door, it will pull air in from the black tank, when you have the flush valve open. This can also happen, if any other exhaust fan in the RV is running and the windows are closed. I wonder if it would help to reverse the fan to blow air IN while flushing. Maybe that would push air into the tank, instead of pulling it out.

My solution is to shut the fan off, when you are flushing, then turn it on again when done flushing.

I'm sure others have mentioned this before, but I haven't seen it in this thread.
Richard
skyking421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:52 PM   #61

Flushing Tank

I've heard a lot of way to flush a tank and this is just one good one. My first RV had a bad smell from the Black tank. It was an '89 Bounder I purchased in '93. A full timer told me to use Pine Sol. It took me a few tries before I figured out the correct quantity to add. Being new to RV'ing I figured if a little was good a lot could be better-not so. My second rv is a diesel '04 and bigger tanks. I found 1/4 cup works well. I will say MDW only uses Dawn for dishes and it care of the gray water tank.
Mr. Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:36 PM   #62

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckog View Post
FYI to fill my my tanks I got a water hose meter reader from Amazon. Hook it up to your water hose and it will tell you how many gallons you are putting in. it calculates both accumulative watering volume and singular water. If you howl fresh water then you can figure the weight, 1 gallon weighs 8.34 lbs.
Average flow 5 gallons a minute, dump, add 3 minutes and drive on. The 15 gallons or so "cleans" as you drive, no chemical, no smell. Blacks never empty so solids don't have a chance.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:52 PM   #63

Empty the black tank at a proper sewer dump, close the valve and go on with life. When the tank monitor indicates the tank is around 1/2 full..... or is it 1/2 empty(?) then next opportunity dump again, close valve and get on with life.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #64

Natural Process

What is all this pre-occupation with black tanks? I can appreciate wanting to avoid trouble but does anyone here clean their home sewer lines? Rural septic tanks seem to work just fine with periodic pump outs. The bacteria has a job to do in there and if you pump it full of anti-bacterial soap it may make matters worse. I know of one rural sewage treatment plant that will not put RV waste into the main process because a small bit of formaldehyde (used to be used to control odour in RV tanks) would kill the whole process. I would not like to be in line to dump behind you guys who are on the triple fill and dump schedule. I like to make sure there is lots of water in there, use a septic safe paper, use a bacterial agent if it gets stinky and rinse a bit when dumping. Never have any problems. If I don't trust the sensors I can just have a look. Throne sits right above the tank. Lucky me.
MGM in YYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:02 PM   #65

Ever wonder what the definition of "septic safe paper" actually is? I know some rolls of TP will indicate that...... but there is no actual scientific definition of what that actually means. I guess if it goes down the tube, it's septic tank safe is as good definition as any

But I agree with the obsession with the tank cleanliness's. I posted a picture (Post 13) of what my 21 year old tank looks like on the inside after using only water to clean it. Pretty much spotless.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:37 PM   #66

Paper Test

I am really scientific with this test. TP goes in a mason jar with some water. If after a day it has disintegrated to my satisfaction it gets used in the motorhome. Sort of off topic!
MGM in YYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:44 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking421 View Post
Using the exhaust fan will blow odors to the outside, BUT using the fan while the toilet is open, will draw the stinky air in from the black tank. The same way that the fan will draw air in from under the door, it will pull air in from the black tank, when you have the flush valve open. This can also happen, if any other exhaust fan in the RV is running and the windows are closed. I wonder if it would help to reverse the fan to blow air IN while flushing. Maybe that would push air into the tank, instead of pulling it out.

My solution is to shut the fan off, when you are flushing, then turn it on again when done flushing.

I'm quoting my original reply, but now have a simple test to see if this is correct.
You can test this way. Close your doors and windows and turn on any ceiling fan to blow air INTO the coach. Open the toilet flush valve to see if any smell comes in. Then, reverse the fan to blow air OUT of the coach and open the toilet valve again. Did bad smell come in? If so, the "exhaust" fan is drawing smell up and out of the black tank.
Let us know, if you do the test.

Here is another stinky situation that recently happened, when I replaced our RV washer/dryer. I had taken temporarily taken the drain trap off. When I drove the motorhome a few miles to our house, a tank stink entered the coach. Of course, it was the open drain from the washer/dryer. You're not removing your drain traps, but if any of them evaporate and dry out, the smell can enter the RV!

Here is a third possibility. The black tank has its own roof vent. If a manufacturer or other situation has that vent pipe pushed too far into the tank, the tank cannot vent as soon as the tank fills to the cover the vent pipe. The vent pipe should end near the top of the tank. For example, if your vent pipe extends 1/2 way into your black tank, the tank will give you problems, when it gets 1/2 full. There is a way to measure this somewhere online.

Richard
skyking421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #68

I agree--completely. Drain tank, put in 3 or 4 gallons of water, and 2 OZ of RID-X septic tank treatment and let the "bugs go to work"
Wayne '21 8337 Sig.
Waydig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:26 AM   #69

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Bigd9;5696341]Ever wonder what the definition of "septic safe paper" actually is? I know some rolls of TP will indicate that...... but there is no actual scientific definition of what that actually means.

Big 9:
The scientific method of determining if toilet paper is" RV toilet paper" is as follows:
Buy what ever kind you like, tear off two or three sheets, put in 1/2 full water glass, cover top with hand, shake for 5 seconds. IF the toilet paper has dissolved, It Is "RV toilet paper.
Wayne
Old 04-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #70

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Empty the black tank at a proper sewer dump, close the valve and go on with life. When the tank monitor indicates the tank is around 1/2 full..... or is it 1/2 empty(?) then next opportunity dump again, close valve and get on with life.
What black tank gauge works after the first week?
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote