Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #1

Is this called a Window Lock Strip?

Our Newmar Mt. Aire 1998 gasser has sprung a leak at the driver's side window. Water flows in from the lower left side (next to the seat back). I pulled the window and replaced the inner seal but that didn't fix the leak. Diagnosis: The Window Lock Seal has shrunk and leaves about an inch of unsealed window. Taping it over with gorilla tape helped a lot but now it's raining really hard and the tape has dried out and we're back to leaking.

Pic attached of the seal: I hope. Am I calling it the right term? I plan to call Newmar tomorrow. Tweety's doesn't seem to have this.

Thanks and happy holidays
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wlockstrip.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	146741  
artrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #2

I don't know why my files don't upload. This is part #41470 in the Newmar catalog. About an inch wide with a rib that runs down the back for locking into the channel in the frame.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
RDG

This is where I found the window seals for our Georgetown.
- RV Windows
Old 12-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #4

seals

Wow, what a selection. That's very useful. A talk with Newmar will help me narrow it down. I'll bet our seal is among those choices. Newmar has only one possible candidate and I'm not going to order the wrong thing. Thank you very much!
Old 12-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #5

I'm interested in this. My windows are not leaking but that same piece is doing the same thing yours is. Interested to hear what you find out.
matthew6279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #6

what I found

I called Newmar. Parts guy says the lock strips are made by Creation. At Creation, this strip is no longer available. It's not available anywhere I look. I'm going to fill the gap left by the shrunken seal with some silicon sealant and see if that works. If it doesn't I'll call an on-site automotive window company and get an estimate. What a search, what a struggle. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have any automotive glass installation shops near you that could look at it and see if they have something that may help?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #8

auto glass

There are auto glass shops all over the area. I'll go speak to someone. Good idea, thanks.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrosch View Post
Our Newmar Mt. Aire 1998 gasser has sprung a leak at the driver's side window. Water flows in from the lower left side (next to the seat back). I pulled the window and replaced the inner seal but that didn't fix the leak. Diagnosis: The Window Lock Seal has shrunk and leaves about an inch of unsealed window. Taping it over with gorilla tape helped a lot but now it's raining really hard and the tape has dried out and we're back to leaking.

Pic attached of the seal: I hope. Am I calling it the right term? I plan to call Newmar tomorrow. Tweety's doesn't seem to have this.

Look along the bottom of window frame below the seal. There should be a couple horizontal slots where water runs out of frame. If these get clogged it will drain inside.
Wrenchch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:05 AM   #10

I've located those slots and cleaned them. I've done just about everything to this window and its seals. The leak slowed down a lot when I covered the areas where the strip had shrunk back. Then we had four inches of rain in 36 hours and we acquired more water inside. Thank god for dehumidifiers! Thanks.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:54 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The strip is called a glazing bead. Comes in various sizes. If you break the window removing the bead is how you get the broken glass out and new in. On the link that RDG if you scroll down near the bottom they sell short pieces of various sizes or samples. I would order the samples, determine which is the size you need and then replace that you currently have. It's an easy job when the seal is warm and flexible. Cold air temps will cause the seal to harden a bit.

Now for the shocker, the price listed is per foot so the cost for material could climb pretty high if you need to do more than one window.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:42 PM   #12

you're right. It can be any shape that works. I got the tool that taps seal strips into the window slot. Yours is a good idea. I know the price. Right now it's the one window but sooner or later they've all got to go.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2016, 03:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrosch View Post

Be sure to dismount and reseal and remount the mirrors. This could be a secondary leak with the window. You can remover the sliding glass and seals from the frame an do a good cleaning of all the channels of the frame.
Wrenchch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #14

The RVGeeks did a really nice video on window replacement. In it, they visit the shop that makes the window and discuss the seal around the window and how it is installed. Wondering if you call that manufacturer and explain your situation whether they can send you the correct new seal so you can properly replace it. Here is the video.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, window