Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #1

Is this safe to drive?

Just found this broken (sway bar?) while looking under my Outlaw. I’m 3 hours from home. Is it safe to drive? [ATTACH] Just found this broken (sway bar?) while looking under my Outlaw. I’m 3 hours from home. Is it safe to drive? [/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD465AE4-3305-4A75-A3AD-E83114A34326.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	288619  
T-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Not sure on that one. I have driven cars with the sway bar missing but not a motorhome. Driving the car it was not noticeable at all.
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #3

The ends of the breaks look very rusted from what I can see.

I'd guess it's been broken a long time already.

Sway bars are supposed to improve handling and keep your vehicle from rolling over on curves/turns. I'm guessing your MH had been horrible on curves - if not downright scary.

I'd probably try the last 3 hours if it was my rig. I'd go slow and not change lanes very much. Remain vigilant as the handling will/was compromised and can cause you to over/under react if it starts acting funky.

Of course, it is your gear, your life, your choice, not mine.

A healthier/safer choice could be to park it, get a rental car then buy a replacement to put on.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I'd probably be ok driving it home. Travel as light as possible, distribute weight as evenly as possible, drive reasonably slow, steady and smooth.
If towing a toad maybe have someone drive it home. Of course have it repaired asap. I believe there are several aftermarket upgrades to address the shortcomings of the OEM setup...
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #5

Check if your coach has a rear sway bar . If it has one , you won't have any problem driving it home.
The rear sway bar will provide enough stability to safely drive the vehicle .
If no rear sway bar , stay off the freeway and take it slow around tight corners and keep it under 50.
I agree that the break appears rusty , which indicates it's not a recent break.
Easy fix , and I would replace links on both sides.
Bill Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #6

Send the family in another car and try to limp home. May take some time to find a replacement. Like the previous poster, looks like its been that way for some time.

Opinions are worth what you paid for.
SGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Should be OK to drive, but you won't have any front sway bar action.

If you know anyone who can weld, get a short section of 1/2 inch water pipe to use as a sleeve and weld the two broken ends togther when you insert them into the sleeve.

OH, and search for the term CHF on this site. Its an adjustment made to the torsion bar to improve sway.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Should be OK to drive, but you won't have any front sway bar action.

If you know anyone who can weld, get a short section of 1/2 inch water pipe to use as a sleeve and weld the two broken ends togther when you insert them into the sleeve.

OH, and search for the term CHF on this site. Its an adjustment made to the torsion bar to improve sway.

I hope that weldment idea is for a (very) temporary fix. The change in heat treatment at the welds and the change in section are both recipes for stress risers that will lead to more breaks.

I've had the bushings age, deteriorate, and fall out of the retaining hoops on a prior coach. Other than more rattles than usual, I didn't notice, but I never corner fast in a coach and never had to do any fast, hard emergency steering.

*I* would drive it home, carefully, and replace the broken sway bar in the driveway. The *OP* should make his own choices.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:16 PM   #9

As noted, it has been broken for a while. Likely you won't notice any difference. Get it replaced as soon as possible. Certainly not a big job. Replace the bushings as well.

Don't recommend welding of any suspension part. Could break at the worst possible moment.

As for driving it the three hours home, take it for a test drive. I doubt you will notice any difference.

Is it safe? I can't say either way. You will know better after your test drive.
Certainly it would be better to get it replaced asap.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yes drive it, just be careful on turns, but I would tie it up so it doesn't drop down and pole vault you over the handlebars

We have quick disconnects on our jeeps we offroad to allow for more movement to keep tires on the ground for traction, but we do tie them up with lanyards...
even drove home one weekend with it tied up because it was a very muddy trail ride Did notice how it leaned a LOT more in the turns...
Old 06-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #11

Break

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mo View Post
Just found this broken (sway bar?) while looking under my Outlaw. I’m 3 hours from home. Is it safe to drive? [ATTACH] Just found this broken (sway bar?) while looking under my Outlaw. I’m 3 hours from home. Is it safe to drive? [/ATTACH]
Three hours home going much slower and very aware of your current mechanical limitations. Just wondering too.... did someone do the CHF on your rig?
Old 06-07-2020, 06:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
Three hours home going much slower and very aware of your current mechanical limitations. Just wondering too.... did someone do the CHF on your rig?
If you look where the anti sway bar connecting link is connected to the anti sway bar you can see the "CHF" was not done. The link is attached to the the same hole as when it leaves the factory.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I hope that weldment idea is for a (very) temporary fix.
I intentionally cut my links in 1/2, then use a 1/2 inch water pipe to make the links a couple inches longer. been driving like this for years.. Very common for those who have done the CHF to make the links longer

ALSO - The link should (may) be a stock item at Ford dealers.

IMPORTANT - It hasn't been mentioned yet, but you may want to take a look at the rear torsion bar also. These have a very common problem of the bolts coming out and braking the saddle that holds the torsion bar to the axle.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:49 PM   #14

Yes, it is safe to drive home. Just drive a little slower, especially on corners.

How long has it been this way?
JohnLoves2Sk is offline   Reply With Quote