Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #1

is this still true?

I need new tires on my 35 ft winne adventurer. I am a huge michelin fan for all my cars but keep reading about zipper(not sure what that is) and sidewall blowouts although almost everything I read is five years or more old. Is this still true with michelins. I need six 245/70r19.5. Dont mind spending the extra money if they are worth it. Tire dealer will sell me either but really likes the hankook, said a great tire and he thinks the michelins feel flimsy on the sidewall when he puts them on the wheels. Hankooks are also $100 a piece less but I want to do it right. Everything I read on hankook has been positive. Could really use some of you veterans advice before I make a $3,000 decision. Thank you
Quincybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #2

I haven't had to change tires on my coach ; came with Michelins. I did run them on my P/U when towing my 5ths. I was a little disappointed by the handling on my last set ( sidewall felt weak to me too ) had to run more pressure than the previous set, to get the same road feel. That was the only time I've been unhappy with a Michelin , I didn't have the truck long enough with those tires to know if that translated into any treadlife issue.
My only set of Hankooks is on my current toad, ( installed last fall ) ride and control are good , but I'm sure from the tread wear in the first 5000 miles that they won't make the 60k tread wear rating.
I know that, you were after info on your size and application, just though I'd throw in my 2c worth.
BTW. the 22.5" on my coach are near the 10 year limit , approx 40k miles and 50% tread remaining. I do plan on Michelin replacements.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We have had Hankooks on all our toads. If they came in the size our RV takes we would get them for the RV. If they came in motorcycle tires we would put them on the bike. Go with the Hankooks.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Two sets on the RV, 2 sets on the VUE, couldn't be happier.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Hankooks on our previous mh and the current one. Also Hankooks on all our personnal vehicles. Nuff said.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

Would not be afraid of the Kooks, good reputation in the heavy duty truck market.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #7

Quincybear, a zipper flat can only happen because of tire damage. One thing that can happen is somebody hits something in the road or a pothole and damages the tire then it takes time to fail so like three months later a zipper flat comes out of the blue and people say the tire is defective. I also can't believe that somebody who works in a tire store has the expertise to grab hold of a tire's sidewall and say it is too flimsy. Lol that's crazy. Sounds like he wants to sell you a Hankook tire. I think that Michelin tire is the best tire on the road and you are correct in that they are a little more expensive. Having said that I have never used a Hanlook tire but I have never heard of a problem with them other than some saying that they gave them a harsh ride when compared to Michelin.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #8

I have driven BF Goodrich on my cars and mohos since 1988. They were always grand!
I have goodyears on my new A. Good but expensive. Think I may try some BFs on it.

Any experience with BF out there?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #9

fred and bonnie u have michelins or hankooks, sorry, couldnt tell from your reply thanks
Quincybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #10

I think the zipper blow outs refer to Goodyear tires. Tread separation on the side wall . I had 2 blow outs on 5 year old GY tires that may have been run slightly under inflated(75 lbs) and stored in the florida sun with little cover. I now have goodrich tires all around and keep them at 90 lbs. Its a rougher ride but I feel more secure. I've never heard anything negative about Michelin tires. The only thing I know about tires is that you will never wear them out. They fail because of damage through age, sun, or under inflation.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You cannot make a mistake here.

Michelin and Hankook both excellent tires.

I'm a brand guy so I have Michelin (completely trouble free) on all my vehicles my neighbor has Hankooks We are both happy and satisfied.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Don't forget, most of us change MH tires because they are old, not because the tread is gone. I'd get the tires that will carry the load and have the lowest price.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've always had great service from Michelin tires and I can afford them so thats what I will always stay with but if Hankooks are as good as most say $100.00 per tire is a pretty nice savings.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #14
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincybear View Post
I need new tires on my 35 ft winne adventurer. I am a huge michelin fan for all my cars but keep reading about zipper(not sure what that is) and sidewall blowouts although almost everything I read is five years or more old. Is this still true with michelins...
Zipper failures are typically caused by under inflation. The area where the sidewall meets the tread flexes excessively when the inflation pressure is low. The flex not only fatigues the tire reinforcement, it causes excess heat buildup which further deteriorates the tire. Eventually the area where the tread meets the sidewall fails catastrophically and the tread "unzips" from the sidewall.

I think Michelin revised their inflation tables shortly after we bought our motorhome (2005) to increase the pressures for a given load, and there seem to have been fewer instances of zipper failures since that time. We have had good success with Michelins, and I replaced our tires with Michelins a couple of years ago.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote