Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Here is link to a YouTube Video on how to convert your 30 amp RV coach to 50 amp. It is a four part series so make sure you watch them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=iFYapUdEUMc

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Honestly Barrett-FL, you are not going to get better detailed info on how to do the upgrade (if you want to do the 30-50 upgrade) than the 4 part video linked above. She did it and even on an older Bounder similar to yours.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:21 AM   #16

Attached a couple of PDF's, sketch of wiring for with and without contactors. I checked out the video on 30 to 50 conversion, very good detail.

With contactor.pdf

Without contactor.pdf

With either of these methods you can run the second AC on the generator anytime and only need to plug in/use the second power cord when on shore power and running both AC's.

Contactor info:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used a junction box from Amazon but don't recommend it, was cheaply made.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:54 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Here is link to a YouTube Video on how to convert your 30 amp RV coach to 50 amp. It is a four part series so make sure you watch them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=iFYapUdEUMc

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Please do not follow the advise in this video pertaining to the building of the shore cord. The genius Pippi, builds a cord with two male ends essentially building the whip of death. Plug it into the pedastal and you have live bare ends on the other end!! It should be removed from youtube. Part of the danger of taking advice from amateurs when a professional should be consulted.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Please do not follow the advise in this video pertaining to the building of the shore cord. The genius Pippi, builds a cord with two male ends essentially building the whip of death. Plug it into the pedastal and you have live bare ends on the other end!! It should be removed from youtube. Part of the danger of taking advice from amateurs when a professional should be consulted.

Checked out the video again. You are right, not sure why she did it that way. Whoever made the video is better at producing videos than re-wiring an RV.

240 volts at 50 amps carries a big wallup. Not something I would want to tangle with in good conditions much less at a wet camp ground.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:34 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I had to check each part to see what the deal was with the power cord. You are correct, it happens to be in part 4 where she builds a cord of death.

Not very smart on her part or even the people making the video.

The cable SHOULD have been hard wired directly instead of the method that was chosen.

I agree, it should be removed from the video.

If you read ALL of the comments below the video most everyone agrees that it should not have been done that way. Plus her neighbor was the one that recommended it be done that way and he works on power lines. YIKES

As it turns out she plans to change out the cable to one that is safe to handle. Not sure what method she used as it was never stated.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:10 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
out of curiosity I watched the 4 part video and as a safety issue I noted that the shore power card that was produced did so with two male ends. I would think that an electrical inspector would faint over this procedure. I can not think of anything more dangerous than a power cord with two male ends. The installation for receiving the new 50 amp service should have been a male end. and the power cord a male and female.

Tags
service