Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2017, 05:58 PM   #1

Issue with water getting into the storage bays

Hi, Reaching out to the members to see if anyone has ever had an issue with water getting into the storage bays by running down the raised rail of the chassis. We have a Nexus Bentley and have found that our storage bays get wet when we are driving through rain. We can see the water dripping from the rail when we check, but can't figure out where it would be getting in at. Nexus has attempted to fix it once and we are planning on taking it back to them to look at again, but thought maybe some on this forum may have ideas as well. We are fairly new to the RV lifestyle. Any thoughts are welcome :-).
Thanks,
Mike and Robi
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #2

I don't have any ideas where the leak could be coming from, but I found a leak in my front bin by putting a drop light in the bin at night, then I saw where the light was coming through and patched it up.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the rail boxed or "C" channel? If boxed you may need get some "Stuff" and spray it up into the frame to seal it from the inside so that water cannot work it's way down thru the frame. As far as "C" type of frame, try getting some duct tape and placing it on the outside of the storage compartment along the frame and then doing the same along the inside of the compartment also and or place a good bead of RTV or sealant along the inside seam and all some on all of the screws that penetrate the compartments.
You may still need to add some foam sealant to the frame area where the wires pass thru the compartments, the water may just be working it's way down the wire way into the compartments.

A fog machine in the compartment would be great to find leaks
Good luck in finding the leak.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:25 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another test is the "smoke" test. Empty the compartment and get a couple of colored smoke bombs and see where they leak out.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #5

I know your pain. Just got back from driving from Cali to NJ in December. One day it was pouring cats and dogs while I was driving. When I stopped that night I opened my bay doors and a couple of bays had water in them. Based on the water dirt trail found out the bay gaskets where a little crimped from the bottom. Dried out the bays but still working on the gaskets. Drove the RV since in a light rain but no water leak.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:08 AM   #6

We know the water isn't coming in through the doors - the puddles are all directly under the frame and we've seen the water dripping. We'll try using lights to see if we can find anything. Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #7

On my 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, I had leaks caused by water being thrown from the wheels to the area around the top of the bin. Resealing around the top with expanding foam stopped the leak.

Fred
Old 01-18-2017, 01:26 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my coach, the frame rails are accessible from under the front hood (generator compartment). As a matter of fact, I installed a pressure washer behind the driver's headlight and alongside the generator. I ran the power cord for the power washer, down the frame rail, all the way to the middle of the coach. I see the Nexus Bently uses a Freightliner, XCR chassis, same as mine.

You could have water getting in the front of the coach (around the edges of the hood). I would check generator compartment for water intrusion and then look at blocking the frame rails up front.

I looked up your coach and saw that it has the same chassis as mine. My second guess for water intrusion would be around the fuel tank. You tank sits between the frame rails just behind the front wheels. On my coach, everything is sealed in the under carriage, except for a small space just behind the tank. You may be kicking up water from the front wheels around the tank and onto the frame rails.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #9

Thank you Don for those suggestions as well. We did the light trick by me shining a light in through the wheel wells and my wife being inside the bay - she could see light coming in along the rail where the wires run along it. We're going to try the spray foam to see if that will seal it, but this gives us other areas to check.

Really appreciate everyone's input.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #10

Hi, Will and Jane here,

We have a Bentley as well but not experiencing that problem don't have .....while the assembly line is perhaps as cookie cutter as can be aside from from any additions or upgrades....are all your bays having water issues or as a count from 1 to 16, from the entry door to under the drivers side seat, the pass through bays being numbered 2 and 3 on the passengers side and 13 and 14 on the drivers side, may I ask which bays are leaking?

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #11

Hi Will and Jane - good to "meet" another Bentley owner :-). The bays we are having issues with, using your number system, would be 2 & 3 and 13 & 14. In other words, both pass thru bays, obviously worse in the front one than the back. We took it back to Nexus when we first noticed it and we thought they had it fixed, but after having it back for a couple of months, we found that although MUCH better, still have some areas that water is getting through. Since Nexus is a couple of days drive, we've decided to do the fix ourselves. Information provided by this forum has helped a lot.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #12

Hi Mike and Robi....we have found but one Bentley owner of the many that out there though they are not really wanting to have regular conversations about any problems. Sharing can help us all since this model is so new. I have not had any leaks in the pass through bays while driving in the rain. We have had but one leak since fixed which was in the drivers side window. The pass through bays are not sealed at the top as you can see the raised rail however no water has gotten in from there or at the bottoms of the bays.

Will and Jane
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #13

Will and Jane - that's too bad that no one wants to share issues - we agree with you, the more people are willing to share, the more we all learn. Besides the storage bays, we had a major leak coming in through the roof following where the wires come down to the electrical cabinet. Fixed the leak ourselves, but Nexus had to replace the cabinet, it was so damaged. We've actually had more problems with this unit than we had hoped we would, but one thing we can say about Nexus - they are easy to work with to get things fixed.

Tags
storage, water