Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #29

As I see it, it wasn't your fault. What business did the owner of the storage have in placing that pole where you were going to turn?? If he had built it just two feet to the right, you would not have hit it. Sooooooooo, it's really their fault for recklessly causing the damage to your valued coach with no regard for the emotional stress it has caused you. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I don't know about you, but that's the story I would stick with.

Sometimes we just have to look at the lighter side of our errors.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #30

Yep, I'm in the club too. On a trip out to the northwest several years ago I hit a deer while going 55 mph and had to put quite a few bungie cords to work. Then a few days later that dreaded tail swing caught the rear cap on a fence. A few pop rivets and a lot of gorilla held it together for the trip back to Fl.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I didn't know there was a club but I guess I'm in it. A year ago I backed into a green electrical pedestal that, in my rear camera, blended with the grass on which I was parking. I not only ripped a hole in the rear fiberglass but ruined the pedestal and a bicycle wheel that was on a bike rack. $1300 to the park for pedestal repairs. Used bike wheel was cheap.

I had the fiberglass repaired at CDI in Forest City Iowa. Not only did they do beautiful, high quality work but they were very professional and reasonable. They were also over-the-top friendly.

If I have to pay for my own mistakes (who doesn't?) I try to get a little something out of it. So in had them detail polish the whole exterior. My rig came home looking brand new and my pain was gone.
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #32

WE ALL DO SUPIT THINGS ONCE IN A WHILE.
Sorry about cabs lol

Here is mine got me a new 2018 5th wheel took it to get tires balanced
While pulling into tire shop notice a steel box hanging on back of a truck.
Was taking a turn around it watching back of 5th wheel to clear and a car pulled right in front of me.
And then being Pi--- continued the turn looking at car not back of camper.
AND I ran that steel box right into my BRAND new camper side , talk about feeling sick.
Here I was never even used camper yet and $1500.00 damage SICK
abslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #33

Angry Accidents Happen

I know the bone-head feeling. We have a 42' DP that we bought used last Jan. Before that we had a 29' gasser. I found out the hard way that you cannot drive a 42' rig like it's 29 feet long. Making a hard right turn in a state park in Arkansas, I scraped a boulder. Mangled an bent two bay doors and a small bit of the body just ahead of the dual rear wheels. Took a fist-sized chunk out of 1 tire. One inch wider turn or if the boulder was one inch farther off the lane, I would have made it. Also put some scratches on the body from tree limbs. The DW says NO MORE state parks. Geico says $8000 to fix it.
WeGoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #34

One poster noted NOT to give up that covered space. I see you hail from TX - definitely want a covered space there if you are lucky enough to get one - so heed that advice.
I backed into a girder holding up the storage building once - was so happy about centering the coach in my space inside when no one was parked on either side, that I neglected to look in the camera to see just how close I was to the building backing in. Luckily I was only idling...but then when I realized what I had done, I put it in N and set the brake, getting up to go out the entry door...not thinking how that movement with the coach against that girder ensured the girder dug further into the fiberglass. Deductible and a few days stay at a body shop and I was good as new - and, since they had to repaint the back cap, I opted not to have the mfr's name in big font put back on, and instead had my own custom font letters with my location, put on. Now I look at camera and not just mirrors, no matter who's next to me where.
Misery loves company.
Durango382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #35

I ran into a concrete piling light pole was removed couldn’t seethe base over the hood. My new with less than 1000 mile truck folded the front bumper. That was 2001 I am still sick when I think of it.😥
Old 11-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #36

There are two types of RVers: those that have hit something backing up and liars.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:37 PM   #37

Rudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Stupid bonehead move parking in a new covered parking space today. I couldn't see a pole and foolishly turned away - the wrong way - to avoid hitting it.
BOOM!
Worse yet it practically popped the rear cap off of the back of the coach.

I feel sick, and stupid. Did I mention I feel sick?

PS. I think I'm going to go back to my old non-covered parking spot.
Carry a lot of duck tape.
rjg2074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #38

A lot of duck tape works well in this situation, I mean a lot of duck tape
rjg2074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Parking misshap

We have had our share of these. We have solved this problem, having found that if the 2 of us work as a team we can prevent most, using our Cel phones for communacation, all directions are based on the drivers left or right, pulling 3 ft forward is better than trying 6 in. back. We always do this decline offers by others, remembering that you have to look up & down as well as L&R. Backing into our coverd backyard parking spot. With the clearance being inches not feet,and a Z manuver. Yes it can be fixed, but the memory never goes away. gpscotty.
gpscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #40

Just a thing..

My first parking experience with my newly purchased 2000 Alpine LE 36FDS was to rub 3 spots in the roof, only one broke through, then tore up my new grass. I take pride in my driving skills but that didn't help. After that I had 1or 2 neighbors watching for me. Now I can do it ok with a new backup camera. Oh, unless I park from the other side, I don't know how I didn't trash the front of my roof with that tree, when I got out to look that big branch was right against my roof. Cutting 3 branches of that tree very soon.
Don't feel stupid, we cant think of Everything!
Mark
Mitimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
We joined this club last September turning around on a narrow road in a national park in Quebec. I didn't notice the steel cable strung between some low roadside pillars. Some dings & a few small cracks on a lower rear body panel. We decided to get it fixed, so I ordered the part from Winnebago and took it up to a local body shop that does RV work. While carefully maneuvering in their lot, DW suddenly yelled "stop". I was within inches of clipping a car with the passenger side tail swing. Did make for some nervous laughter with the body shop folks (it was a worker's car). Lesson learned-DW gets out and does lookout duty for any maneuvering in tight spots.
rv kayakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:12 PM   #42

During an RV caravan, we stayed at a CG at the end of a narrow road. Where it intersected with a city street there was a light pole right on the corner. We had to make a right turn onto the city street from the CG. One member of the group had been driving his MH for about 10 years. Although all of us had stopped at that intersection before, he forgot about that light pole. He started the right turn and hit the pole, doing about $4,000 damage to their Alfa MH.The starboard basement doors had to be cut open with a grinder so they could continue with the caravan.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote