Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

It's the day I pick up my new coach at the dealer. Now What?

It's early April or mid May and Coachmen calls and says "Hey Harry, (you big bozo! See they know me...) If you want to see your SportsCoach 407FW you ordered being built, be here X/X/2017". I'll fly up to Middlebury, Indiana for the big event and wait for the call from the dealer to "come on up" for the big revile! Coachmen doesn't have factory pick up or I'd be all over it!

The above is just boilerplate for the real question so here we go.

I go to the dealer and the dealer does the Dog & Pony show of going though the coach from stem to stern. And somewhere in the process I actually put my money down and buy the coach. Can anyone give me an "Ouch"!

At this point it's all over and I own the coach... Now what???

I live 670 miles from the dealer so what do you recommend? Do I stay in the area of the dealer awhile to see if anything needs attention by the dealer. Do I go home and handle issues later?

This is my first coach and I'm flying blind with this and thought I'd come to you, the experts! Now when I say "EXPERTS" that's suppose to be YOU. So if the "EXPERTS" thing drew a blank, it may be best if you read and not respond!

Be Gentle,

Harry
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #2

I'd definitely find a nice campground nearby and stay a night or two to check things out. It certainly could not hurt. I'd pray for a rainstorm to check for leaks too!
Old 12-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Now you enjoy your coach.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I would hang around for a few days to make sure nothing malfunctions. It's kinda hard when you get it home and the dealer says they fix it if you bring it back. It will also allow you time to understand the workings of the coach and ask more questions if need be.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
I'd definitely find a nice campground nearby and stay a night or two to check things out. It certainly could not hurt. I'd pray for a rainstorm to check for leaks too!
^ Makes sense to me!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
This is my first coach and I'm flying blind with this and thought I'd come to you, the experts! Now when I say "EXPERTS" that's suppose to be YOU. So if the "EXPERTS" thing drew a blank, it may be best if you read and not respond!
From what I've read; dealers forget who you are once you drive off the lot.

You might consider finding out where the dealer lives and getting to know him. Invite yourself over, unannounced, several times. Tell him how you hate to wait for service and will be staying with him while your coach is in for service.

I'm told Jack never had a problem.

dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I would hang around for a few days to make sure nothing malfunctions. It's kinda hard when you get it home and the dealer says they fix it if you bring it back. It will also allow you time to understand the workings of the coach and ask more questions if need be.

Totally agree! I learned that one the hard way when buying a 5th wheel back in 2002!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
It's early April or mid May and Coachmen calls and says "Hey Harry, (you big bozo! See they know me...) If you want to see your SportsCoach 407FW you ordered being built, be here X/X/2017". I'll fly up to Middlebury, Indiana for the big event and wait for the call from the dealer to "come on up" for the big revile! Coachmen doesn't have factory pick up or I'd be all over it!
You're going to a "big revile"? I think I'd stay away!!

Don't you just love autocorrect on a computer?!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Harry,
Get a good PDI sheet and go over it with the tech. Ask questions test everything heat,air,washer,dryer,fresh water tank full,waterpump,etc. Make notes and does not hurt to record walk thru for future reference. If all else fails call someone.
Switt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #10

being a entry level dpmh no doubt theres problems for sure
stay in town and run "EVERYTHING" a dozen times type deal

I see there being offered for $174,999.00
only deal I don't like is the puny 340 ISB
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
WDW

You don't have to worry about the rain storm, they have one at the factory. In fact every coach that comes out of Coachmens class a factory goes through a rain room and sits there pounded by rain for over 30 minutes with a technician inside who has a flashlight and is checking for leaks throughout it. They also do a pressurized test where they pressurize the interior of the unit and they look for air leaks. Both of these are reasons why they really stepped up their game to ensure that when they leave the factory they have a quality product. I was privileged to tour the facility last summer and observed how they make these things happen.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #12

Hey WDW, that sure sounds good to me! I understand Coachmen has really stepped up their game on the Class A's! A big reason why I selected the SportsCoach. Their new 2017.5 is really something. You look at the specs of other "entry level" as mentioned by select55 and other DP's can't touch it.

Just my opinion of course because we all love our new coach!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Don't just hang around the dealer. Make an appointment with dealer a week later. Make this appointment before you give him your payment. Then take a 300-600 mile trip with numerous stops, both in campgrounds and off the grid. Things may turn up as you drive, hook-up in the campground, and live off the grid using your generator and inverter. Try to experience every system and use every accessory during your test trip. Use both the AC and heating systems if practical. Try to pick a route that has hills or mountains so you can test the climbing and braking of the coach.

Then when you get back to the dealer give him your list, and be prepared to wait as long as it takes to get everything fixed. You will never again have this good a chance to have everything made right, unless you drive to the factory for repairs.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Hey WDW, that sure sounds good to me! I understand Coachmen has really stepped up their game on the Class A's! A big reason why I selected the SportsCoach. Their new 2017.5 is really something. You look at the specs of other "entry level" as mentioned by select55 and other DP's can't touch it.

Just my opinion of course because we all love our new coach!

great as long as you paid under 175K and like said run everything a hundred times try every drawer a 100 times check and check and recheck all factions before you leave this dealer
ac units ;furnace; sewer connections; inverter systems ;etc etc etc
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer