Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #1

Jack Pads

I am considering making some jack pads from wood and wanted to know what experience others have had. I look forward to your comments, as usual.

Trimble T
Trimble T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 03:23 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I just use 1' x 1' piece of 3/4" plywood. Only use them to
prevent marking/damaging blacktop driveway.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

I have found just cutting up a 2x6 or what ever they split if you sandwich with plywood that helps. I am going to try that trex decking board is actually recycled plastic.
pipefitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #4

jack pads

PURCHASED 9X9 RESIN DRAIN COVERS AT Home Depot ALSO COME IN 12X12 IN PLUMBING AREA. BOLTED TO STABILIZER JACKS WORKS GREAT
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #5

jack pads

PURCHASED 9X9 RESIN DRAIN COVERS AT Home Depot ALSO COME IN 12X12 IN PLUMBING AREA. BOLTED TO STABILIZER JACKS WORKS GREAT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1269.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	156502  
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #6

I bought a 2x12 that was 12' long and cut it into 1' squares. I then glued and screwed them with the grain running at right angles so that they were 3 high. That makes them about 4" high total. I then attached a rope loop on each so I can pull them out from under the coach easier. The height of the pads adds stability to the jacks because they don't have to extend as far. I boondock a lot and the uneven ground was a test of my jacks. Now it's no problem other than the weight of the wood.
Toddgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I was using sections of 2x12 planks until my family bought me 4 of these for Christmas: https://www.amazon.com/Hosspad-Mega-...ords=hoss+pads

I would never spend that much for pads, but who's to look a gift horse in the mouth, right? Besides, I really like these pads, they work great on all surfaces - these are the largest square Hosspads, 14.5" square. I've read other posts where people utilize cutup livestock mats that are also made of recycled tires (hopefully from Michelin XRV tires :-), that work equally well and cost less.
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerPower View Post
I was using sections of 2x12 planks until my family bought me 4 of these for Christmas: https://www.amazon.com/Hosspad-Mega-...ords=hoss+pads

I would never spend that much for pads, but who's to look a gift horse in the mouth, right? Besides, I really like these pads, they work great on all surfaces - these are the largest square Hosspads, 14.5" square. I've read other posts where people utilize cutup livestock mats that are also made of recycled tires (hopefully from Michelin XRV tires :-), that work equally well and cost less.

I've also got those hosspads, and use them quite a bit. They are great on flat surfaces. When on grass, gravel, or dirt, I usually put them on top of my 2X12 wood blocks.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:56 AM   #9

Thank you for your comments.
Trimble T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I made an 18"x18" pad out of 2x4s (placed on edge) then sandwiched them between 1/2" OSB. Several coats of poly and then holes drilled in the corners. No cost for me as the stuff was scraps from other projects.

PROS: 1)Much larger footprint to disperse the front jack (I have a 3-pt jack system). 2)I can support a large amount of weight (20k? under the front jack). No sinking on most grass surfaces that are at least firm under my foot during a site walk through. Any softer and I put down a 2"x12"x36" under the pad first 3) At 4" tall, it reduces the travel distance of the jack.

CONS: 1) It is heavy. Trying to position the pad under the middle of the coach with the awning rod can be a PITA. 2)The 4" can allow the jack to raise the front quite a bit making the coach rock when someone enters the door. Possibly causing some twisting which usually isn't good.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:38 AM   #11

Lowes or home depot. Wood scrap pile. 2x12s. They will cut them for you and probably give them to you for free. Also good for driving one when needing to level.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
This is the first time I've seen this idea... I wonder what the weight limits are on those things? Would they support a 30,000 lb DP too?
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:54 AM   #13

We have 2 sets of pads. The ones we use the most are 12"x12". They are 2 layers of 3/4" plywood with a hole drilled in one side for a lanyard to pull them out from under the coach.

We've use them for over 15 years in lots of situations. It all started when we went camping in a state park early in the spring. The weather during the day was in the upper 40's so snow was melting. In the evening it went down to the 20's and everything froze again.

When it came time to leave all the jacks were frozen to the ground. I had to crawl under the coach and pour hot water on them one at a time to get them free. Since then we always use pads in the spring and late fall. We also use them anytime the ground is soft, or when the pavement (blacktop) may be soft due to heat.

We also have a second set made of the same material that measure 24"x24". We were advised to have extra large pads one year when we attended the Winnebago GNR in Forest City IA. It had been an extremely wet summer and the rally grounds were saturated. They worked fine, but are so heavy and take up so much room we only use them in extreme situations.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:55 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I made my first set of jack pads from Trex 5/4" boards, and they are awesome. I sandwiched two of them side-by-side onto another perpendicular set of two. I wish I had used three instead of two though, as the pad is only about 1' square, and with my DP, it's sometimes hard to position them just right.

I also made a set from 18" round pine boards that I found somewhere... home depot maybe? I think they were sold for making end tables? Anyway, they're untreated lumber, so I painted them. I sandwiched two of them together with the grain going perpendicular. They still cracked a little, but haven't fallen apart yet. Definitely not a robust set of wooden jack pads, but they're much lighter than treated 2x8's.

For me, it's a trade-off of weight (hard to shove them around when you're bent over, knees in gravel, etc) versus strength.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote