Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #1

Jack Pads

I have a 35 ft Canyon Star and am considering making some spacer/pads to go under the jack to reduce the extended length of the jacks. I saw some in a campground that were made from 2x4 pieces standing on edge, making the spacer 3.5 inches high, with the pieces bolted together. Has anyone done something like this, or have some ideas? Thanks.
Trimble T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 08:06 AM   #2

Go for it. Standing on edge, screwed together would be really strong.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimble T View Post
I have a 35 ft Canyon Star and am considering making some spacer/pads to go under the jack to reduce the extended length of the jacks. I saw some in a campground that were made from 2x4 pieces standing on edge, making the spacer 3.5 inches high, with the pieces bolted together. Has anyone done something like this, or have some ideas? Thanks.
We made our four "jack pads" from 2x6x8. Cut (2) pieces, each 12 inches long, screw together to make (1) pad. We also spray painted each piece using a generic brand of flat black paint before screwing together.
We also use 2x8x8(cut each piece 24 inches long-make a 45 degree cut on one end of each piece and will sometimes screw (2) together to make (1) drive-on ramp if needed for the occasional off-level parking spot. Additionally, I put a piece of 1/2-3/4 inch piece of particle board/plywood cut to fit or any other durable material of your choosing and screw to the top of each ramp to minimize chances of ramps splitting and then paint also to provide some element protection for the wood. I use the "jack pads" a lot and the drive-on ramps not so much.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:22 AM   #4

Scrap plywood 12 inches square screwed and glued to get the height you want. Just made some. Work great. Having a table saw helps.
Bellamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use scrap 3/4 plywood in 2, 3, and 4 thicknesses. Screwed together and can be stacked to get the heights I want. Easy to store and move around with a hole for the awning rod.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #6

We used recycled deck stairs 2x6's. We cut them to 12" lengths and then sandwiched a piece of 1/2 plywood (12" square) between 2 levels of 2x6's. Also the 2x6's were turned 90 degrees to the opposing side 2x6's for structure. We made 2 sets of "pad assemblies" per jack.

The 2 sets per jack seams like a lot, but depending on the site you get, you may need more pad assemblies on one jack than another.

I hope this description makes sense.
Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #7

Rubber insulator

Do you put 1 layer of rubber between the wood and the metal jack base? Wood when wet conducts electricity. (Seminar by rv safety accessories co taught me a few things). I'm planning on buying hosspads (spendy) unless someone has a better idea. The plastic ones break down fairly quick.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have 10 pieces of 2x8 boards cut about 14" long. I keep them in a storage tub when not in use. I do not glue them together bc every camp site has different needs for leveling the RV. Sometimes I may need to stack 2 or 3 together to get level other times I just need one at each jack. Being flexible I am prepared for whatever I run into. Also a good trick is to place screw eye bolts in the end of each board and a hook at the end of a 4' dowel rod. I use the rod to grab the screw eyes on the leveling boards without needing to be on my knees.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is a thread that was recently posted on this subject. May give you some ideas.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/jack...ml#post3606975
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote