Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
Flat spots on the tires, from long periods of being stationary, is an old wives tale, which would be the only reason to deploy the jacks.

Jim E
Not true with these new synthetic tires, this is from Tirerack.com:

"Do you ever feel a ride disturbance or shimmy during the first few miles of driving after your vehicle has been parked for a few days, weeks or months? Then, after you drive a couple of miles, the ride smoothes out and feels OK. This condition is often called flatspotting because it is used to describe the tire flatspots that can occur when a vehicle is parked.
Many heavy duty, high performance, high speed rated and racing tires have a memory because they continue to remember the position in which they were last parked after they begin to be driven on again. Unfortunately, their memory can become a problem when the tires experience big swings in ambient temperature, have been parked overnight in cold temperatures, or parked for an extended period of time...because it's a lack of use that can cause tires to flatspot."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Cat320,
Do you feel that our coach tires are in the same category as "heavy duty, high performance, high speed rated and racing tires"? My experience with coach tires has been the old bias ply tires would have a flat spot that needed to be driven to remove it. However, many years ago when the industry (and me) changed to radial tires the flat spot went away. With Michelin tires, I have never experienced a "flat spot".
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Cat320,
Do you feel that our coach tires are in the same category as "heavy duty, high performance, high speed rated and racing tires"? My experience with coach tires has been the old bias ply tires would have a flat spot that needed to be driven to remove it. However, many years ago when the industry (and me) changed to radial tires the flat spot went away. With Michelin tires, I have never experienced a "flat spot".
That's the best answer since Jim E poo pood flat spots.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Check 'em out...big heavy RVs are considered "heavy duty" and our tires are "speed rated."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #19

The nastiest "flat spot" incident I ever saw was with an airplane.

Boeing was doing a cold-soak high gross weight test and left a 747 on the ramp overnight, loaded to its maximum gross weight. After the engines were running and ready to taxi, it took about 95% of max thrust to get the airplane moving. As it made the 90-degree turn to go along the ramp, the engines hadn't slowed down much.

The residual thrust blew over an office trailer with 6 people inside and sent it tumbling about a quarter mile along the ramp. Luckily, nobody was seriously hurt and no other airplanes were damaged. Did a number on some parked cars, though.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #20
rjw

I storage mine at home with jacks on blocks,this way i do not put as much strain on return springs.I keep the jacks down so i can move my slides in and out.
rjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw View Post
I storage mine at home with jacks on blocks,this way i do not put as much strain on return springs.I keep the jacks down so i can move my slides in and out.
Are you saying your slides want go in and out unless your jacks are down?

Jim E
Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Be cautious if you park it "close" to saltwater. The manufacturer of the jacks on my rig defined "close" as within 60 miles. We're probably about 60 yards - the houses across the street are salt-water marina waterfront. Last year, I left them down, wiped the piston rods with hydraulic fluid once a week and got rust patches. They were surface-only and buffed out.

This year, I'm planning to put them down onto wooden pads with a heavy-gauge plastic bag under the foot. I'll then wipe down with hydraulic fluid, pull the bag up to above the bottom of the cylinder and close the neck of the bag with ties.

I like to get most of the weight off the tires. Our driveway is flat concrete, so the friction of the jacks and pads against the surface will be more than enough to handle the braked wheels only being lightly loaded.
I think that's a pretty good comment. Any corrosion on the jack piston will have a life-shortening effect on the jack seals, because the corrosion can score those seals. Great idea on using the plastic bag in the indicated way.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #23
rjw

My slides will move with jacks up or down,Newmar owners manual says to have jacks down when moving slides.
rjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw View Post
My slides will move with jacks up or down,Newmar owners manual says to have jacks down when moving slides.
I don't understand why you have to have the jacks down to move the slides. Maybe the manual says have the RV level before you move the slides.

A lot has been said on this subject and it is a mystery to me why one manufacturer specifies a procedure different from another manufacturer. No matter what chassis is used, the jacks are connected to the frame and deployed to the ground for leveling. Could it be the jack leveling system? Some are a lot more expensive than others. Flexibility of the frame certainly is a factor. With a manual system, I suppose you could get some "twisting" of the frame which could cause distortion between the slide and slide opening.

Jim E
Old 01-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Mine are down and I spray the open shafts with silicone as per my manual.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't get it either, my manual says never move the slides when the jacks are down and other manufacturers say just the opposite. When I first bought the coach I always leveled then put the slides out (or in). My thinking was the stresses on the slides would increased with out while the coach was moving up and down. After a couple months of doing it this way one of my front slides started dragging on the one corner. Not sure this was caused by me not following the manufacturer's guidelines or not but it doesn't do it anymore now that I put slides out then level.

I store mine with air dumped, jacks on pads and coat the jacks with silicone. Be careful with the aerosols in a closed space.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks