Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Heavy equipment has hydraulic pressure pushing the rams both ways. RV's only push out to extend, relying on spring pressure to return. (Edit, apparantely some coaches don't utilize springs - see next log) Read the forums to find posts on folks having to use 2x4's to push/pry their jacks back up, or replace w/heavier springs, because the jacks no longer retract by themselves.

Personally, I use wood blocks under the retracted jacks, and dump the air to lower the coach on the blocks. Cylinders are fully retracted, and off the ground avoiding any splash up. Weight is taken off the tires. It minimizes risk to both cylinder and tires, and costs me next to nothing to do.

That's what great about America....... it's your coach you can store it anyway you'd like to do to it. If you don't think it's worth a couple pieces of wood, just leave it parked on the tires, or store it on the extended jacks.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have any springs on my jacks.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:15 AM   #17

Many dump truck cylinders are single acting and only push out. The weight of the body pushs them in.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadge View Post
Storing my newmar ventana over NJ winter, in the open.
Should jacks be down to take some weight off the tires resting on plywood, which has stone base underneath?
Jack feet have 2" X 12" blocks to rest on.
No wrong answer - think about it - if you Snowbird or full time you will be up on the jacks for months at a time - and yes that works but - if you are a summer camper and only use it a few times a year you may just park it - most do just that.

So as you think about it both Work and both are Correct.

Just be sure, if you set the unit on Jacks, that you be sure it does not settle into the ground and freeze (Will make it hard to Move if the jacks don't come up) I tend to use wood for the jacks, lighter and stores/transports better, concrete has generally only lasted one season, as it cracks, while a PT 2x12 will last for years and can be stored in the RV when not in use.

So that's my story on to Jack or not Jack.

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lots of Debate on this over the years... This is what I have determined to be the best options.. Yes Options.

Due to hydraulic failure I'm not using my jacks, In stead I am using some solid metal Jack Stands from the auto store and/or Tractor Supply.

They do the same job of "Taking a load off" the springs, but .. Well, the jacks are fully retracted (well all but one, I got to work on that when I get a chance)

Very happy with result.

How I did it when the jacks worked.

Start by lying a wooden block (2x12x12" in my case) under each pad. Extend jacks as far as possible to level properly.. Wipe down shafts with lubricant as described in owner's manual.. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Now. Two possible retractions Spring, time to go camping.. Wipe 'em down again and retract normally, Pick up blocks and hit the road.....

OR: Decide to go to Las Vegas on Jan 2.. Wipe 'em down if you can (Depends on the snow and ground clearance.. NOTE I can reach my jacks safely without climbing under RV)

Retract.. Pull off.. Tap wood blocks gently with an 8 pound sledge since they are frozen to the ground (Why you put them there after all) Pick 'em up and stow 'em and hit the road jack.. Don't come back till SPRING.

The key is to lubricate when you first store, and before you "un-store" in spring

Note.. If you can't get under on Jan 2 type take off.. Well find a nice clean parking lot (First night layover) and Lube there. BUT LUBE.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Sound advice.

The major manufacturer HWH, claims there is absolutely no harm in leaving the jacks extended. These are hard chrome finished rams an not affected by weather. You may want to crawl under and wipe them off with a spray lube of some sort before retracting them in the spring but leaving them extended is perfectly acceptable.
See attached link below.

silicone spray not WD40 right?
Old 12-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I grew up farming, and like twinboat did not see any rusted hydraulic pistons on equipment that sat totally exposed to the weather (not hidden underneath like on a motorhome) for many months at a time.

My HWH jacks have been down virtually all the time since I bought the coach in 2003 except when driving. I have NEVER sprayed anything on the rams, and I have NEVER wiped down the rams. They are in great condition and have never failed to go up or down when prompted.
X2 I do put blocks below the pads to spread the weight.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:59 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I stored our '02 DSDP 4090 for 13 winters with the front tires completely off the ground and the rear suspension completely collapsed in order the get the rig level beside the stick house.
When we traded the rig off in 2015 the suspension was still working just fine.
But, I got
Newmars OK
Spartans OK
Koni's OK
Reyco-Granning's OK
Before doing it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
Also drive your coach on to plywood, thick carpet or thick rubber when storing. Better for the tires.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #24

You can easily take all the weight off the tyres and have the jacks retracted provided you have air suspension and an air dump valve.

With the suspension aired up, pack under each jack with timber to within an inch of each jack pad. Turn off the engine and dump the air. Weight off the tyres, jacks fully retracted and air bags not all scrunched up.

Tags
jacks