Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
OWV

January Delivery in the COLD

We are awaiting delivery of our very first MH. Postings on various threads have us convinced that staying around in a CG near the dealer for a while after delivery is a good idea. Our dealer however is in Albany, NY with delivery set for January. Has anybody had experience with a Jan delivery in COLD climate? How did you deal with the "shake down"?
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Community Administrator

That's a tough one. I'm sure somebody will advise. Now I know why Lazy Days does volume business in Fl.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I do not know of anything special about delivery in cold weather. You water will have to managed to keep it from freezing depending upon the coach you are buying. Some are better for cold weather use.

The concern that I would have has to do with driving the coach on wet salted roads during the delivery trip from the factory. The rust proofing is non existent on most coaches. I have see unbelievable amounts of rust on brand new coaches on the dealer's lot. Make sure the coach is properly cared for in this respect by washing the under carriage or what ever is necessary so you will not be disappointed six months down the road.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWV View Post
We are awaiting delivery of our very first MH. Postings on various threads have us convinced that staying around in a CG near the dealer for a while after delivery is a good idea. Our dealer however is in Albany, NY with delivery set for January. Has anybody had experience with a Jan delivery in COLD climate? How did you deal with the "shake down"?
I picked up my new to me 2005 Airstream 396XL Diesel Pusher from a dealer in Lake View NJ in March 2013. Flew in to pick it up from my home in Houston TX with 70 degree weather and arrived to freezing weather in NJ. I had planned to stay around a few days just to check things out real good and practice driving it since I had not driven a class A diesel Motor Home before. Spent one day at the dealership and drove around the block a couple of times. The forecast was for snow, ice and sleet with a freezing weather coming in. The window of opportunity was the next day that was just going to very cold. I packed up and headed south that next morning. Took me two full days to get to warmer weather. Staying in an RV in freezing weather is not fun when everything is still winterized. Spend as much time as you need but head to warmer weather. Drive carefully and enjoy your new coach.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #5

Congrats on the new coach.

We took delivery on the 2013 coach in Buffalo on last January 16. I checked the obvious things and I installed the Trav'ler TV dish on the roof after the dealership closed the evening of the 15th (in the parking lot). DW was transferring the cabinet contents while I was up top. The next day was more of the same and we were out of there by 1PM. They were still washing windows as we finished loading. We drove to Delaware to pick up the rest of the stuff we needed to load. And yes, we drove in snow showers all the way home. Also, yes I found some issues, some big, and some small, but nothing that would prevent us from taking the coach. We were in Arizona 6 days later. On the way home from AZ in March we spent 2 1/2 weeks at the Red Bay, AL while Tiffin cleared our problems. We probably won't go back to the dealer as we ordered the rig at the fall Hershey RV show and the dealer's location is just not convenient for us to visit. Besides, with the kind of first class factory service we can get in Alabama, why bother.

Good luck again, with the new coach.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWV View Post
While I don't have experience with RV January delivery in NY, I do have experience in using an RV in NY in January. I live near Rochester, NY and do travel to FL in December. I have done this with my previous 34ft toy hauler. In my toy hauler, I used de-winterize before we left home and have the heat on.

Now, with the Aspire, I can keep it plugged in an use it when ready through out the winter. Drive slowly in the snow and don't be in any hurry; you will be fine.

I'd have the dealer put water in the coach so you can test items before delivery. Turn on the basement heater, in-floor heat and the heater and you will be fine.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #7

A new coach deserves a "clean" start.

If it us the Entegra in your avatar pic, it may come through salt country on the way from IN to NY.

I would make sure the dealer makes the underside squeeky clean, and figure out where to get it cleaned again if you go through more salt.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
When I have taken delivery in the cold it was always in a big heated building and all of the tanks were filled and checked and all systems were checked and then after the PDI it was winterized. We did not have the luxury of staying overnight near the dealer but it was a trade off for getting a very good price. Best of luck with a great rig!
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote