Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Isuzu/GM Duramax/Allison

Now thatd be a nice combo!

The 6.6L RPO LML (VIN code "8") is the latest version (2011–present) of the Isuzu/GM Duramax V8 diesel engine and actually a further advanced version of the LMM engine with the majority of the changes addressing a required drastic reduction in engine emissions. Some mechanical aspects of the engine, such as piston oil flow design for improved temperature control and oil pump design, were also improved to enhance durability even further.
The LML engine was significantly updated for 2011 to provide improved exhaust emissions that comply with the new federal emission standards for diesel engines, provide better engine rigidity and further noise reduction. New 29,000 PSI piezo injectors, a complete fuel system-hardening to tolerate up to 20% biodiesel mixtures and urea injection (to reduce Nitrogen oxides) with a 5.3 gallon urea tank are updating the fuel and emissions systems. This engine has a fuel injector in the exhaust tract, to allow raw fuel injection during the particulate filter recycling routine. The RPO LML engine is rated at 397 horsepower (296 kW) at 3000 rpm and 765 lb·ft (1,037 N·m) of torque at 1600 rpm.

[14]QUOTE=road dogs;1694315]My reliable and powerful American made tow vehicle has a Japanese designed diesel motor that has capably pulled our fifth wheel coast-to-coast and many trips halfway across the country, over 22K miles and also serves as a daily driver. The motor is manufactured in USA in Ohio. I have no complaints whatsoever. The Isuzu Duramax is lengendary. Just my $0.02USD........[/QUOTE]
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #30

Was once a loyal Chevy man ... Now very partial, but can't say loyal Ford man.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
A show of hands from those whod love a reliable Japanese engine in a class A MH. Isuzu makes great diesel engine I hear so why not Japanese gas!
Less Ford and Chev more Honda and Isuzu I say!
Isuzu had some input into the Duramax engine.
I my opinion I'd say NO WAY. The imports tend to use the latest technology. (gas or diesel) Just look at the The first years when the new latest gizmos on engine hit he market. Many times its not good at all. In some cases the New ideas work ok But many RV engines are highly stressed compared to standard automotive engines. These Higher stresses show the weak links in the chain first.

imported MD and HD engines are I think would NOT be accepted by the average joe american Who think he Must have a 350 HP Gas or diesel pickup truck. Because they would have half that so they could last a long time.

No computer controlled diesels have ever been as trouble free as the older traditional American diesels before computer and emission controls were added along with the design changes in engine they mandated.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
The Chevy equinox engine is made in china
Yes it is Has been since at leas 2005. Saddest part yet is that its a GM designed engine. Designed here made there.
I wouldn't buy one for a dollar.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
A show of hands from those whod love a reliable Japanese engine in a class A MH. Isuzu makes great diesel engine I hear so why not Japanese gas!
Less Ford and Chev more Honda and Isuzu I say!
The OP is asking about a gas powered RV chassis from a Japanese Mfgt.

The reality its that US emission standards prevent many overseas products from crossing our shores...safety standards are keeping up a fence too.

If it was profitable, Honda or more probably Fuso would bring a chassis to the US as soon as they could, but that is just not the case.

I thank all that is good and wholesome, that Ford is still making the F53 and those big Triton V10's or everyone would have to buy an expensive Diesel RV.

Love or hate the foreign flood of vehicles to the US, they (all those foreign companies) must not think they can make a profit at it.

What I wish was that Spartan would hurry-up and start making the Extol:
Spartan Chassis

Safe travels to all
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Chevy today
Chevy tomorrow
Chevy forever
J

chevy bankrupt screw suppliers, get out of debt, take goverment bailout
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
chevy bankrupt screw suppliers, get out of debt, take goverment bailout
Stuff Happens...
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Hmmmm. Honda appears to make reliable engines. Just ask the guys who race Indy.

Sammie
The engine used in indy cars is a purpose built engine for that purpose only. It runs at 16-18 thousand RPM and gets about 6MPG in a 1500 lbs. car and if it makes it(and they do fail) it has to be rebuilt after a 500 mile race. I don't think this would make a very good RV engine and the don't put it in prodution cars. We couldn't afford it anyway. As far as the buick indy car engine at least it had to have a stock prodution block.
Honda paid a lot of money to get the rite to supply these engines to indycars. IMHO the toyota was a Indycar race only engine was a better engine.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't consider the Duramax engine a Japanese built engine. DMAX was formed by a JV between Isuzu and GM. Today, DMAX is owned by GM and the engines are manufactured in Ohio and the block and heads are casted in Ohio. I see the Duramax as being an American built engine. I am still thrilled by the Durmax in my 2003 Silverado.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote