RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
your very welcome sir, I would still try it without the engine running. another thing if you pull into a campground at night with engine running some of the neighbors get upset.
On ours, the key has to be turned to the run (ignition) position to operate the jacks. No matter if the engine is running or not, the alarm sounds if jacks are down and key is on. Fortunately on ours, the alarm consists of a beep about every 5 or so seconds. It isn't annoying.

Alan, just in case someone suggests it, I would not install an alarm disconnect switch. But, if yours is really that annoying, you might try to find a quieter buzzer/beeper of some sort to replace the annoying one you have. You may can even put a piece of tape over it to quiet it down a tad.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
There are a lot of great, smart, caring, people in the motorhome industry you are smearing. #1 Our dealership was owned by a REAL christian man who did everything in his power to satisfy his customers. #2 To win a customer award prize from Fleetwood, you had to have a customer satisfaction rating of 97% or more. We one 15 years in a row while I was service manager. I totally disagree with your first two statements.
I certainly accept your criticism of my comments. And yes, I did capture the entire industry without regard to the many shining lights that have helped RVer's over the years through selfless acts and kindness.

Thanks for calling me out on this - I'm usually kinder but became alarmed that the newby OP was relying too much on what the dealer had said.

And, thanks for being part of the dealership that did win for so many years!
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #17

You do have the brakes set, and the transmission in park to meet the interlocks for the jack system correct? Otherwise, you will get the alarm.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

When all is said and done, it makes little difference whether you level & then slide, or slide and then level. Unless perhaps the off-level is extreme, but in that case the jacks probably won't bring it back level anyway. I had two official sets of instructions from the factory for mine - one saying level then slide and the other the opposite. One issued with the coach when I bought it and one from the factory service dept who swore the other was wrong. We routinely did which ever was convenient and saw no difference at all.

Some years back RVIA standards changed to run the slide motors off the chassis battery and asked that the engine be running to insure adequate voltage. If the slides deploy ok without running the engine, that's fine, but if they won't move [or very slow], running the engine boosts the voltage and amps (engine alternator operating).

The coaches I've seen that say "run the engine" will not sound an alarm for the slides if the parking brake is on. Have you tried that? As for key on but not running, the alarm system doesn't care. If the ignition is on, it thinks the coach is "running", whether the engine actually started or not.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanbaker View Post
You do have the brakes set, and the transmission in park to meet the interlocks for the jack system correct? Otherwise, you will get the alarm.
Parking break is on and the transmission is in neutral.

Thanks.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanbaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
Parking break is on and the transmission is in neutral.

Thanks.
Note that you two didn't quite say the same thing, although you appear to be agreeing with him.

He said 'park', you said 'neutral'.
If really in neutral try putting it in park to see if that quiets the alarm.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Note that you two didn't quite say the same thing, although you appear to be agreeing with him.

He said 'park', you said 'neutral'.

If really in neutral try putting it in park to see if that quiets the alarm.

There is no park in an Allison transmission. Only R, N and D.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #22

The alarm will sound when the jacks are down and key is on regardless of parking brake or transmission location. Follow your owner's manual. Mine says engine running when moving slides. I put a cotton ball over my alarm and covered it with tape. Alarm is still loud enough to serve its purpose but is less annoying while operating the slides.

If I'm only moving one slide I sometimes just turn the key to on and not start the engine. But always run the engine when moving all 4 slides. They put a significant drain on the batteries.
ageishecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #23

On ours, the Owners Guide says to have jacks down and then send the slide out/In.
I do my leveling with the key in the ACC position and the slide works with the key in any position.
If I turn the key to the "ON" position with the jacks down the buzzer would drive everyone out of the house. I finally found the buzzer on the firewall and realized it was the same buzzer for the annoying turn signal too. I put some electrical tape on it almost covering the entire thing - you can still hear it but it is tolerable and now my dog shouldn't come over and poke me anymore.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
As someone mentioned, there are variations in coaches. On my Berkshire the slides will not move if the key is on whether running or not. Conversely, the coach won’t raise on air when I bring up the jacks unless the engine is running and building air. I do my slides plugged into the pedestal as that pump draws a chunk of power and I think it’s easier on equipment this way. I get the alarms but fortunately they aren’t excessive and do their job reminding me of things needing to be addressed.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #25

On our Winnebago Adventurer and Itasca SunCruise both with HWH slide and Leveling systems the instructions are clear. Engine running, Jacks down, Slides out. There is a very good reason the operators manual says to run the engine while operating the slides or jacks.

I located the alarm on the firewall behind the DC breaker panel to the left of the steering column and muffled the noise.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
I certainly accept your criticism of my comments. And yes, I did capture the entire industry without regard to the many shining lights that have helped RVer's over the years through selfless acts and kindness.

Thanks for calling me out on this - I'm usually kinder but became alarmed that the newby OP was relying too much on what the dealer had said.

You're a good person. Well said apology.
Lynn
Old 11-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post

Well said! Sad to say, but you are right in many cases. I see you have a Tiffin product. We were #1 in sales for Tiffin for many years. Bob Tiffin is also one of the "good guys". Many years ago, a customer bought a Allegro and started out on a lifetime dream of a trip out west. He made it to Texas and the transmission failed on his motorhome. They were towed into a dealership and he was told the transmission was toast. The problem was, there had been a bunch of transmission failures and The transmissions were on backorder. He would be stuck for 3 or 4 weeks. The guy called Bob Tiffin and told him the problem. He stated he had saved vacation from the previous year and this was a one time only event. Bob Tiffin had an out. This was not his problem. It was the chassis manufacturer. Bob did the right thing. He called the dealership that supplied the chassis. He asked how long it would take to remove a transmission. The told him one and a half hours. He said remove one and he would have a pickup there to get it. He called in Jack Elliott (some of you Tiffin owners may know him) and said, Go home and get some clothes, You are on your way to Texas. This is a true story. This is the RV business at its best.