Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #15

For me, it depends on which direction I'm heading from MN.

Going West, there are a ton of great and gorgeous places to see and visit, so I make short hops, stop where my fancy calls me, and just generally travel around in a big slow circle for weeks or months.

Going South (say, to AZ or TX or FL or AL), there's Iowa and Missouri and Kansas and Nebraska and Oklahoma on the way, and without being too insulting, I may drive 15 hours straight towards my destination. Once into the destination region, I'm back into travel-around-leisurely mode.

Going East - well, being mostly a boondocker, I've not yet found a reason to take an RV too far East.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2021, 07:01 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Journey for us. I enjoy driving and with a motor coach the journey starts when we pull out of the driveway.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #17

We do both ways. Bought a new 5er in 2005. Locked up the house and returned 4 months later. Our destination was West then South then East in the general direction of our house.
Along that huge circle we decided on destinations/attractions to enjoy. Never knew where we would be when the sun set each day. One week found us in Ajo AZ and organpipe cactus National monument. You have to want to drive there, it cannot be an accident you drove out in the desert to a small town 80 miles from any other town. Camel ranch South of Yuma AZ. Zuni Indian reservation to see/buy jewelry.

There were major attractions too, so many I can't name them here.
The planned out trips seemed duller to us than deciding each morning what we wanted to see/do that day.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:49 PM   #18

When we were younger, we would load up and drive like the devil was on our heels. Now that we are older, we spend as much time on the road, but don't seem to get as many miles in as we once did. We stop and spend more time seeing the stuff in between our base and destination.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:46 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I like to drive. I always make sure that my coach is polished and everything looks good. I enjoy driving, even on the interstates, but once we get there, we enjoy relaxing and sightseeing. When we travel with another couple, we like to get off the road a little earlier and enjoy a cocktail before dinner.

Each trip can be different. We leave Tuesday and need to log 1100 miles in three days. First day will be 500, and two shorter days. After that, two weeks of maybe 100-200 mile trips between campgrounds.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:02 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky1 View Post
First time motorhome owner hoping to de-winterize and travel if it ever warms up here. Recently retired and have only camped a few times as a child fifty years ago. Worked hard and never really went anywhere on vacation. My dream has been to see the beautiful sights while traveling the country with my wife and dog in a comfy recliner and looking out the large window. That is why I bought a class A. We aren’t planning to bring a toad. I am not that excited to be at campgrounds or resorts, just the driving part. I am not a carefree wanderer and will definitely plan and reserve stops, but I read about many people retired and not that drive short distances so they can relax at a site. I understand driving fatigue and the need for rest, but am I in a small minority of RVers that feel this way? After a trip or two, am I destined to a great disappointment that this is unrealistic? Are most people more excited and happy during travel or at the site?
Thanks for all the replies! This is encouraging and renewed my excitement. I was starting to think most RVers felt it was just transportation from A to B. Hopefully tonight is our last frost advisory so I can add water and get out there soon.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:30 AM   #21

For us, the destination is what we look forward to more. Yellowstone for instance, was our main goal a couple of years ago. Needless to say, we pretty much bee lined it to get there. Visiting a few touristy places along the way (Royal Gorge, Mount Capulen, Brekenridge) was nice but the main focus of our trip was to experience Yellowstone.

I skipped over most of the posts so this may have been mentioned already. If the OP likes driving more than sitting, hopefully he or she has plenty of $$$ to spend on fuel. It'll cost a small fortune to drive a motorhome around, especially without a toad to see the sites.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:56 AM   #22
Community Moderator

ABSOLUTELY get a toad vehicle! We wouldn’t see even 1/10 the amount of things we see without one !

Think of the motorhome as the mothership. You take the mothership from site to site....but you take the toad EVERYWHERE else.

From scenic curvy mountain drives (I would never take the motorhome on ) to smaller parks and attractions which don’t have RV parking, your toad is your ticket to adventure.

Even if I could take the RV on these daily excursions I wouldn’t want to....it took too much time to back in to the spot, get all set up...why would I want to repeat that ?

We met a family traveling without a car.....and they have been stuck at the RV parks everywhere they go.....not as much fun....
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #23

I did not read the other replies, but here is my take.

It depends on the purpose or goal of the trip.

Sometimes we have a destination in mind and have a time frame to make it there or back.

Our last "big" trip our destination was AZ from WA. It was about 1300 miles and we did it in 2 days down and 2 days on the way home. I enjoy driving and the sights, but man those are long days.

When we take off on our summer adventures we have a couple of general areas we want to go to. Maybe a specific site or two, but mostly wander and take our time. If we find something we want to stop and explore for a day or two we are free to do so.

This year we moved from a dually pick up to a HDT (Semi) and the ride, height and large windows have made the views along the route much better.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:01 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
It all depends on the trip.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:15 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
For us it depends.

Our summer trip is Atlanta-Tucson-Vegas-Denver-Atlanta.

I have not seen my family in about 10 years so thats the purpose of this trip. I have a niece and a couple nephews that I have never met, they are in their 30s.

So we are driving 8-10 hours a day and only making necessary stops. Plan on being gone 6 weeks or so.

Next summers trip will be to places on the bucket list so we will take a more leisurely attitude.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:51 AM   #26

You've had most of the answer variations already. You may just want to "git goin'" now, but that may change once you start out. (or not!) Interstates are great for distance, but not so great for sightseeing. Try some variation to see what YOU prefer; it's your choice.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky1 View Post
First time motorhome owner hoping to de-winterize and travel if it ever warms up here.

Recently retired and have only camped a few times as a child fifty years ago. Worked hard and never really went anywhere on vacation.

My dream has been to see the beautiful sights while traveling the country with my wife and dog in a comfy recliner and looking out the large window.

If this (^above^) is the dream you will need a driver - you seldom can sit in the Coach and stare out at the Sights you are hoping for, There are many areas that will allow you to park and camp, but few with FHU's. You being new to this will find that the Boondocking usually requires some work and some planning, which seems to not be "Your Style"

That is why I bought a class A.

We have done this RV'ing thing for some 50+ years - I love to drive - actually am usually the guy who will suggest that the most critical part of the trip is the "Trip" - and yes if you have done this long enough you will find some pretty special spots, but these are not the norm. So you may need to let a little reality into the "Dream.

We aren’t planning to bring a toad.

IMHO this is a BIB MISTAKE Look for a toad that gets you off the Highwys and into the wilds you will enjoy - make it comfortable - you will find yourself in it Often!

I am not that excited to be at campgrounds or resorts, just the driving part.

Well you will need to Dump and get Water! so this is the part that also makes the Toad an integral part of RV'ing.

I am not a carefree wanderer and will definitely plan and reserve stops, but I read about many people retired and not that drive short distances so they can relax at a site.

The RV is really just not made for the touring thing you are Dreaming of - Parking lots are not made for RV's and in the more popular spots there is often not enough to even Park Cars. Most of the sort term drivers are more into just acting retired, taking there time and just enjoying life ....... so slowing down is not all bad.

I understand driving fatigue and the need for rest, but am I in a small minority of RVers that feel this way?

No, you are far from alone - when we were young and wild we used to often drive for long distances (950 miles) and crazy times - 24 hours - so a couple things you learn from years of doing this - we know what "WE" enjoy - the beauty of the Mountains and the Water - when you mix the Two we are in heaven - when you add perfect weather, you may think you are in Heaven But thinking you will learn - learn to plan - learn to understand what and where your dream works - understand how to plan to be in the Best area at the Best time of year - takes a while but you can learn. Once you do things will just be Better.

After a trip or two, am I destined to a great disappointment that this is unrealistic?

Doubt it - thinking you will be smart enough to Adapt to the reality of RV'ing - getting to the Spots - finding the Locations you can park the "A" and sit and enjoy (Tase are going to require a lot of searching) a lot of "Experience" - after a couple years -learning and well likely adapting, you will fall into your Grove.

Are most people more excited and happy during travel or at the site?
For me Happy comes the minute I get into the Coach - life is good - we have done this and have learned where and what we enjoy and when and where it works best for us. For us we have enjoyed many sites that allow your Drea, some are what Many would ball Boon-docking spots but we also have stayed in many a memorable, public CG.

So just being in the Coach is Great - but being at a Great area when there are not many people is Heaven - we have been in Yellowstone in Bumper to Bumper crowds and also been when we felt alone, with the park all to ourselves - Indian summer just to make it perfect, 50 years and still learning. Last note - there are many drives and places to explore that are just not RV friendly - Alpine Loop - Beartooth out of Yellowstone - RT 550 to Silverton - Just more reasons to pull a Toad - the DW requires a comfortable ride, so look at my signature - Toad will go anywhere in any weather and rides like at Luxury Car. Look at and get a toad you will be much Happier especially if you are a driver.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
For me, it depends on which direction I'm heading from MN.

Going West, there are a ton of great and gorgeous places to see and visit, so I make short hops, stop where my fancy calls me, and just generally travel around in a big slow circle for weeks or months.

Going South (say, to AZ or TX or FL or AL), there's Iowa and Missouri and Kansas and Nebraska and Oklahoma on the way, and without being too insulting, I may drive 15 hours straight towards my destination. Once into the destination region, I'm back into travel-around-leisurely mode.

Going East - well, being mostly a boondocker, I've not yet found a reason to take an RV too far East.
Guessing you have never Been - as Upstate NY and The Appalachians in the south will leave little that is just not Beautiful; - add to that the Beaches all along the Coast from the Jersey shore to Florida will be hard to beat, especially if you are active. While we seldom spend time traveling the East, I can argue that you certainly will not be Bored - just too much to see and Enjoy, just some beautiful and wild Spaces.

Sorry not meaning to be argumentative - just a little more honest.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey