Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2021, 09:50 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
For me Happy comes the minute I get into the Coach - life is good - we have done this and have learned where and what we enjoy and when and where it works best for us. For us we have enjoyed many sites that allow your Drea, some are what Many would ball Boon-docking spots but we also have stayed in many a memorable, public CG.

So just being in the Coach is Great - but being at a Great area when there are not many people is Heaven - we have been in Yellowstone in Bumper to Bumper crowds and also been when we felt alone, with the park all to ourselves - Indian summer just to make it perfect, 50 years and still learning. Last note - there are many drives and places to explore that are just not RV friendly - Alpine Loop - Beartooth out of Yellowstone - RT 550 to Silverton - Just more reasons to pull a Toad - the DW requires a comfortable ride, so look at my signature - Toad will go anywhere in any weather and rides like at Luxury Car. Look at and get a toad you will be much Happier especially if you are a driver.

Hope this helps,
Thank you very much Busskipper for this insightful response. I can feel your passion for RVing and trust what you say is accurate. I was hoping to either rent a car when needed or use available shuttles from sites. It appears especially this year that may be difficult. I am not totally opposed to pulling a toad and expense is not the issue. Again, I have zero experience, but my fear is the increased limitations of where I can go with an additional 20 feet of length while connected. Will the MH driving experience be less enjoyable with a toad back there? My new coach is a 39 foot gasser.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
I think most will agree, the convenience of having the toad available far outweighs any additional limitations. We had a 26' Class A for several years without a toad. Later we bought a 21' Class C and added a Chevrolet Sprint as a toad. Then we moved to a 34' Bounder with a Suzuki Aerio as a toad. We replaced the Suzuki with an extra cab Ford Ranger for the majority of the time we owned the Bounder. The Ranger was a great toad for us.

As far as "normal" driving, the only impact we experienced was not being able to back up with the toad attached. We occasionally backed some, but were warned against it and never backed much and never other than a straight line. Forward driving, we didn't really notice the toad. I'd keep the rear camera on to make sure it was still back there.

As far as where you can get into, it takes all of a 3 or 4 minutes to unhook the toad. We often unhooked the toad when we pulled in for check in. Especially if headed for a back in site.

We had more than one situation where the RV broke down and we had to rely on the toad to get around while waiting for repairs. I even pushed the Bounder a few hundred feet off the interstate with the Ranger once.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky1 View Post
Thank you very much Busskipper for this insightful response. I can feel your passion for RVing and trust what you say is accurate. I was hoping to either rent a car when needed or use available shuttles from sites. It appears especially this year that may be difficult. I am not totally opposed to pulling a toad and expense is not the issue. Again, I have zero experience, but my fear is the increased limitations of where I can go with an additional 20 feet of length while connected. Will the MH driving experience be less enjoyable with a toad back there? My new coach is a 39 foot gasser.
Will try to continue to address your questions - On renting a car - it just makes everything more of a PAIN - a real pain - time and energy that is just wasted. Rental cars are in short supply - during coven many were sold - If expos is not an Issue just go get it - you will not be sorry. I drive a 43' coach and don't even know the Toad is there - when we had a 37 Gasses we drove with a Suzuki - great little Toad - Never knew it was there, if you are looking for the easy way look into the Classifieds on IRV2 - often a great value comes across the presses.

We all learned at some time - so just get one and learn - the time to hook up or unhook is less than 5 minutes - sure beats the hours it would take to get a rental. Don't hook up to a one ton diesel and you will be fine - thinking the little Honda all wheel drive - a few year old would be perfect and easy - just depends on what you need and are set to pull with your coach

Hope this helped,

Bill
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:26 PM   #32

We have been RVing for 22 yrs.
we always enjoy the ride and the destination.
Always. Even in bad weather, we figure something out to have fun
I do recommend strongly to get a car to pull behind your RV.
You will plan trips everywhere. You will go everywhere.
Me & the wife look at the RV as our “traveling condo”
Been all over, and going to more places.
You name it we did it with the RV
Tailgate, Weddings, Parties, vacationing, business!
It’s amazing what you can do RVing!
It’s not just camping, it’s not just a vacation tool.
When you look at it as a “home on wheels” then you will
be in the right place.
Here is an example
Dec 2020 I told people I was going to Florida
Haa!!
I went to Myrtle Beach for New Years, St. Augustine for 2 weeks and Hilton Head.
So we did 3 trips. The wife zoomed for work when needed.
It’s a blast to Go RVing!!

A cheap tow vehicle is a used Mini Cooper.
Very cheap and you can tow 4 down
Not everyone needs a Jeep
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:57 PM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
We look forward to the journey and the destination. Last December we left home in PA and headed for South Padre Island TX for a two weeks then moved on to San Antonio for a few days then the Keys in FL for three weeks.
From PA to TX we stopped three times for one night each stop. From San Antonio to the Keys we stopped three times for one night each stop. Then from the Keys back to PA we stopped three times for one night each stop. We left each stop at 7am and arrived at the next stop around 4pm stopping twice to fuel and take a short break.
This was our first long trip since we retired. We planned the complete trip with RV Trip Wizard including all campground reservations and everything worked out to the plan.
Looking back on the trip we enjoyed all the destinations. The 7am-4pm approx. 450 miles per day driving were not a problem, I love driving and with two breaks for fuel and rest we enjoyed the journey. The problem was the one night stops between destinations. Our next long trip will include a minimum three night stay between destinations. We’ll take time to explore the area where we stop over and see the local sites.
We’re retired and we need to chill a bit and enjoy the journey, not just the destinations. Looking forward to a December 15 to March 15 destination in the Florida Keys this coming year. We will certainly add two weeks on each end to enjoy the journey!!
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Guessing you have never Been . . .

. . .

Sorry not meaning to be argumentative - just a little more honest.
Guessing that I'd not been . . . East? Love the East. Lots to see, lots to do. Spent much time there. But my statement was:

"Going East - well, being mostly a boondocker, I've not yet found a reason to take an RV too far East."

So I'm curious where you see the lack of honesty in that. Did I miss some large BLM tract in Central Park? There may be some free boondocking spots on the coast, but that means a lot of crowded truck stops on the way there and back. Going in any other direction gives me daily possibilities.

I'll continue to hope that "just a little more honest" has some interpretation that isn't as insulting as it appears.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:13 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Everyones situation is different.

We own four cars, none of them suitable to flat tow. We have a new Accord, a new F150 and two classic Mustangs.

Im not buying a fifth vehicle and not selling any of the four we own.

So we will rent. Its what is going to work for us. We also take bicycles.

We also do not like going east, at least dont like the more congested areas. I have a friend with land on the Chesapeake, I can park there and use that as a home base to sightsee in DC but we arent going to venture much more northeast than that.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #36

The journey is most important. In Jan 2016 retired purchased a class A and began what was a 5year journey. I started out planning ever stop ever move, and after about 6 months realized I was missing a lot by not just enjoying the journey and each location. No place is worth just a stop. Some I stayed months, some weeks, but always long enough to see the new spot. In this 5 years I have been to all states except Alaska and Hawaii. And can say honestly have I have been to all four corners of the US, and have meet and traveled with some very special people. So, do not rush, take your time, all places are worth seeing.
vincentC02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:50 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Toad??

Other people have already mentioned this, but you will probably want to pull a toad. We have owned several B's and C's that did not require a toad. When we moved up to a Class A (31' and later 40') it was obvious that we needed a toad. It's hard to find parking while traveling for Class A's. You will miss out on a lot of sights if you don't have the toad.

We recently changed back to a 25' Class C, but we plan to bring the toad on most trips.

Regards,
Jerry
Old 05-20-2021, 03:37 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
First time motorhome owner hoping to de-winterize and travel if it ever warms up here. Recently retired and have only camped a few times as a child fifty years ago. Worked hard and never really went anywhere on vacation. My dream has been to see the beautiful sights while traveling the country with my wife and dog in a comfy recliner and looking out the large window. That is why I bought a class A. We aren’t planning to bring a toad. I am not that excited to be at campgrounds or resorts, just the driving part. I am not a carefree wanderer and will definitely plan and reserve stops, but I read about many people retired and not that drive short distances so they can relax at a site. I understand driving fatigue and the need for rest, but am I in a small minority of RVers that feel this way? After a trip or two, am I destined to a great disappointment that this is unrealistic? Are most people more excited and happy during travel or at the site?
Wow !!
This almost describes me and my wife!!! I have not taken a vacation for almost 40 years (June 1981 was the last time). So we went and purchased a class A (2014 Anthem) and began getting away from the hospitals, cities and go explore the country. All I ask for is a good coach and a star to steer her by (offshoot from Sea Fever by Masefield).

To us, the destination is completely unimportant. We just set out on the high way and go! We stop at the small towns along the way and when it is time to come home, we usually take a different route back. Sometimes there is a destination (family), but most of the time it is 95 North or 20 West.
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post

We own four cars, none of them suitable to flat tow. We have a new Accord, a new F150 and two classic Mustangs.

We also do not like going east, at least dont like the more congested areas. I have a friend with land on the Chesapeake, I can park there and use that as a home base to sightsee in DC but we arent going to venture much more northeast than that.
You should really head up to Vermont and New Hampshire in the fall to see the colors. If you go around the big cities in Massachusetts, you not have any traffic for the rest of your journey.
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #40

Both We are retired so speed isn't important..
Old 05-20-2021, 04:07 PM   #41

Quote:
First time motorhome owner hoping to de-winterize and travel if it ever warms up here. Recently retired and have only camped a few times as a child fifty years ago. Worked hard and never really went anywhere on vacation. My dream has been to see the beautiful sights while traveling the country with my wife and dog in a comfy recliner and looking out the large window. That is why I bought a class A. We aren’t planning to bring a toad. I am not that excited to be at campgrounds or resorts, just the driving part. I am not a carefree wanderer and will definitely plan and reserve stops, but I read about many people retired and not that drive short distances so they can relax at a site. I understand driving fatigue and the need for rest, but am I in a small minority of RVers that feel this way? After a trip or two, am I destined to a great disappointment that this is unrealistic? Are most people more excited and happy during travel or at the site?
What matters is what you like, period. We have driven 15 hours to get to our daughters place in California. We have also spent 2 overnights to visit but had time to take it slow and go a different way to see the country, hike, and fish.
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:12 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post

If your F150 is a 4x4 you should be able to flat tow without issue( provided your RV has enough power. Ours has 10,000 towing with the RV at GW. The f150 is easy to pull.. And we live in Washington where we have real mountains.
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey