Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2021, 07:51 PM   #57

Before we retired, I read someone’s blog that talked about their 2-2-2 rule. No more than 200 miles a day, get there by 2pm and stay for a minimum of 2 days. They set up their RV and tried to see things within a 100 mile circle. Often the 2 days would turn into 2 weeks. As we started traveling I find us doing much the same. The destination is a long way away and no time frame to get there. See as much as possible on the way. In the last 9 years we’ve traveled the country, corner to corner and zig zag across the center. Toad is a must as the mh just just doesn’t fit in many places.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2021, 09:02 PM   #58

We have found that it greatly depends upon the situation. For the non emergency trips, I definitely enjoy the journey as much as anything. Can traveling provide issues such as breakdowns or inconsiderate, unfriendly, hostile situations? Absolutely! But so can being parked at a campsite. The admiral and I have experienced it both ways. It's much like life and a lesson some of us (me) learn too late.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:28 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky1 View Post
First time motorhome owner hoping to de-winterize and travel if it ever warms up here. Recently retired and have only camped a few times as a child fifty years ago. Worked hard and never really went anywhere on vacation. My dream has been to see the beautiful sights while traveling the country with my wife and dog in a comfy recliner and looking out the large window. That is why I bought a class A. We aren’t planning to bring a toad. I am not that excited to be at campgrounds or resorts, just the driving part. I am not a carefree wanderer and will definitely plan and reserve stops, but I read about many people retired and not that drive short distances so they can relax at a site. I understand driving fatigue and the need for rest, but am I in a small minority of RVers that feel this way? After a trip or two, am I destined to a great disappointment that this is unrealistic? Are most people more excited and happy during travel or at the site?
My wife says I'm more about the drive. I think she is right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6043.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	328996  
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:52 AM   #60

Quote:
First time motorhome owner hoping to de-winterize and travel if it ever warms up here. Recently retired and have only camped a few times as a child fifty years ago. Worked hard and never really went anywhere on vacation. My dream has been to see the beautiful sights while traveling the country with my wife and dog in a comfy recliner and looking out the large window. That is why I bought a class A. We aren’t planning to bring a toad. I am not that excited to be at campgrounds or resorts, just the driving part. I am not a carefree wanderer and will definitely plan and reserve stops, but I read about many people retired and not that drive short distances so they can relax at a site. I understand driving fatigue and the need for rest, but am I in a small minority of RVers that feel this way? After a trip or two, am I destined to a great disappointment that this is unrealistic? Are most people more excited and happy during travel or at the site?
I have a small class A and after about four trips, purchased a small Chevrolet Spark as a Toad. Everyone said you can rent a car or use Uber. I use a lot o military base RV sites, so Uber is questionable. Renting is paper work and sometimes cars are not available. And what if I just stay a day or two. I have also found that a week is too long at one site. Just my opinion.
Sandman II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:52 AM   #61

Quote:
I enjoy the drive a lot.....BUT.... I enjoy once I get parked because getting on my bike and seeing things that you can't see on the interstate is great. The down time at campgrounds can be very relaxing and you meet some really GREAT people. The new bred of truckers out there make interstate driving and going into truck stops a challenge.
Newmar nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:49 AM   #62

Lynn H. Hough said - "It's not the destination, but the journey...".
But, isn't the destination the ultimate goal?
Ibn Juzayy, in his writings from other tellers of tales, wrote:
"Traveling leaves you speechless - Then turns you into a story teller.."
Both of their points are that your travels are just as important as where you wind up.

BTW: Congratulations on you wanderlust tool (your class A). You are going to love it (But, I would recommend some sort of alternative means of transportation to get you around when you arrive somewhere... (Even if it is a rental car).
I will say, from experience, that traveling by RV is a lot different, a lot more stressful and a lot more taxing on your body and mind, than traveling by car. In a car, you hop in with a destination in mind and go there in a set amount of time. But, with (especially) a Class A, you're taking up a lot more of the road, there is less room for error and other vehicles, around you, are a lot less courteous! (Adding to your stress...)

That is why I never tried to plan a destination that was farther than I wanted to drive in a day or two - (maybe two or three hours tops).

Only once did I ever make an East coast trip in three days (Mid Florida to Southern New England - 1290 miles - for an emergency...) And, the result was a full two day recovery after arrival!
Day 1 was 650 miles, day 2 was 525 miles and the rest was on day 3... I was rung out, the rig was beaten to a pulp and the dogs were in shock for a week, from it. (It was winter). From day 1, I started my journey and put my blinders on to make my destination. Stops for gas was the only down time and, although there was so much opportunity to see and do things along the way, I didn't! It wasn't a journey at all, it was a march!

So, when you plan each destination that you could easily make by car in four hours, reduce it by two hours and stop along the way and... as the say... "take time to stop and smell the roses"
Your two hour away destination will turn into your six or eight hour journey that will give you a lifetime of stories to tell...

Bon Voyage,
Bob
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:58 AM   #63

National RV Owners Club
Journey enjoyment has to be learned

Like others vacation was a rush to destination to spend maximum time there. Now that I no longer am entitled to a vacation we plan our trips with the journey in mind. Wine and waterfalls, we had to find a waterfall to see between each winery. My wife is now into crocheting, so our trip this summer has many unique yarn shops stops along the way. There are many places we now stop to see that we never would have stopped before the RV. It makes the drive fun. I don’t find sitting in a lawn chair relaxing, the home in Florida has those but a vacuum cleaner museum, that’s something I never used to stop and enjoy but I do now.
29surfsiderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:02 AM   #64

Toad?

Quote:
After a few trips you might find that having a toad will allow you to see, visit, explore, and enjoy some things that are difficult or impossible with just the MH.
jimheiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:37 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Everyones situation is different.

We own four cars, none of them suitable to flat tow. We have a new Accord, a new F150 and two classic Mustangs.

Im not buying a fifth vehicle and not selling any of the four we own.

So we will rent. Its what is going to work for us. We also take bicycles.

We also do not like going east, at least dont like the more congested areas. I have a friend with land on the Chesapeake, I can park there and use that as a home base to sightsee in DC but we arent going to venture much more northeast than that.

I tow my F150. It has a flat tow mode for the transfer case. If yours is 4x4 and recent year model, it should have same mode.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #66

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your responses are invaluable!

Thank you to this wonderful community for taking the time to share! The level of detail you post from your experiences makes me feel like I am there with you. My eyes have been opened to the many things we would miss without a toad and now I firmly believe a toad will be joining us as we travel. It finally warmed up here and I was able to de-winterize the coach. We had our first camp out in the yard and it was sooooooo nice. Can’t wait to hit the road. I look forward to hearing more stories, thanks again.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:17 AM   #67

The destination is the primary motive, and the most convenient and comfortable way to go is in a large diesel pusher on a properly-designed/configured chassis,....towing a mid-size 4x4 suv,.... is the only way to go.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:34 AM   #68

Quote:
Thank you to this wonderful community for taking the time to share! The level of detail you post from your experiences makes me feel like I am there with you. My eyes have been opened to the many things we would miss without a toad and now I firmly believe a toad will be joining us as we travel. It finally warmed up here and I was able to de-winterize the coach. We had our first camp out in the yard and it was sooooooo nice. Can’t wait to hit the road. I look forward to hearing more stories, thanks again.
To us, the journey and the destination are of equal enjoyment as there are always points of interest along the highways and byways. Last year we set out for Yellowstone, Glacier, Arches, and Mesa Verde from WNY. It was a 6 week trip so we took quite a few side trips. Some days we drove but 100 miles and others 300. We stayed at each destination for as long as needed to fully explore.
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #69

In reality there is no such thing as retirement (not working ever). I retired as an LEO but still work but only 2 days a week (Sat & Sun) in a major suburban hospital (psych ward). When I hit the road it is to Huntington Beach (real home). I leave the Monday after my two days of work. By Wednesday evening I'm in Los Angeles. The drive is from Renton-Highlands to HB, Ca. ` 1385 miles. Wife does not drive.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:06 PM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
It depends. For example, driving across Nebraska or South Dakota you get a lot of the same scenary so driving with 1 night stops is fine. But I can enjoy just as many days in Omaha or Custer State Park as a relaxing time. Just depends on the mood.
mark2459 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey