Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #1

Journey over heating on big hills

Hi All,
Long time RVers here that have been inactive on IRV 2 for some time. Need recommendations on what year Journey or other diesel pusher that has solved the radiator plug up problem that is caused by backward mounting of the cooling system on diesel pushers. Need to buy a new rig pretty soon and would not like to play the high RPM game in the mountains with a different RV. Frankly, considering a front mounted “Gasser” to avoid the problems I had with our 2001 Journey over heating. The Ford V10 looks like it might be a good way to go. Any and all suggestions most appreciated.
Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #2

Wow, you are about to be bombarded by the diesel-or-nothing crowd!!
We have a 2017 Ford F53 with the 6 speed transmission. We have made two trips over the Rockies and it is quieter than my Duramax diesel pickup.
That said, the sound deadening is done by the coach builder. Newmar does an excellent job of it. Road test each coach you're interested in and see how they compare.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My last coach was a high end gasser with a V10 and 5 speed trans. I never found it to be loud and crossed a lot of mountains with no over heating.
Cleaning a rear radiator on a pusher is no big deal either if you decide to keep yours.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I personally don't see a problem with a rear radiator DP. you do have to keep it clean, but there are many coaches out there with rear radiators with no issues.

To me, the biggest negative with the rear radiator is how difficult it is to get to the engine. But to go to a side radiator, it's usually (not always) a higher end coach and more money.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I personally don't see a problem with a rear radiator DP. you do have to keep it clean, but there are many coaches out there with rear radiators with no issues.

To me, the biggest negative with the rear radiator is how difficult it is to get to the engine. But to go to a side radiator, it's usually (not always) a higher end coach and more money.
Agree. Keeping it clean is a biggie, one that most folks don't do.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The secret is to keep the rear radiator clean from day one. It needs to be serviced/cleaned EVERY year, not when it starts to heat up on grades. If kept cleaned, you should be able to climb ANY grades without issue.

If you look for another used diesel pusher, go with a Monaco brand coach and you'll have less issues with the radiator. Monaco stacked their charge air coolers on top of the radiator, rather than one in front of the other. It was a better design, easier to clean and cooled well.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine tree View Post
Hi All,
Long time RVers here that have been inactive on IRV 2 for some time. Need recommendations on what year Journey or other diesel pusher that has solved the radiator plug up problem that is caused by backward mounting of the cooling system on diesel pushers. Need to buy a new rig pretty soon and would not like to play the high RPM game in the mountains with a different RV. Frankly, considering a front mounted “Gasser” to avoid the problems I had with our 2001 Journey over heating. The Ford V10 looks like it might be a good way to go. Any and all suggestions most appreciated.
Pine Tree
"Backward mounting"????? Huh?
If you're referring to a REAR RADIATOR diesel coach, that's an odd way of putting it for sure. You say you've been "inactive" for some time. Well, then you've not read the many, many threads on how folks have taken care of any heating problems they MAY have developed with their rear radiator diesel coaches. There's a few zillion rear radiator coaches running around the U.S. with ZERO cooling issues. As you've been told by the few answers already, a thorough cleaning every once in a while is all that's needed to keep your system working efficiently.

If you've made up your mind about what you cooling issues you THINK you'll find if and when you purchase another rear radiator diesel coach, well, then simply walk away and go purchase any other type/chassis. It's not rocket science. Good luck on your next coach.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:25 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A Gas front engine won't totally solve your problem. With three heat exchanges (engine, transmission and A/C) it also needs to be checked and cleaned as necessary. General maintenance might be a little bit easier on a gas coach but just as necessary to ensure long term reliable use.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:18 AM   #9

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. Each and every one of you is absolutely correct. KEEP IT CLEAN. My problem restated however, is very simple to state in a question: Why would my diesel pusher radiator be dirty, plugged up and cause over heating after 50,000 miles of highway travel? I did have the engine “Slobber vent” routed out the rear end when I bought the coach at 36,000 miles. A diesel pusher radiator system is about 12” thick, almost impossible to get at and therefore almost impossible to clean in place. I am not in the market for a new $250k coach, so I really want to know when and which, if ever, the RV builders started dealing with this problem?
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Hi All,
Pine Tree
There isn't any way to get up the mountains without the engine making RPMs whether its a gas or diesel engine.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:27 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. Each and every one of you is absolutely correct. KEEP IT CLEAN. My problem restated however, is very simple to state in a question: Why would my diesel pusher radiator be dirty, plugged up and cause over heating after 50,000 miles of highway travel? I did have the engine “Slobber vent” routed out the rear end when I bought the coach at 36,000 miles. A diesel pusher radiator system is about 12” thick, almost impossible to get at and therefore almost impossible to clean in place. I am not in the market for a new $250k coach, so I really want to know when and which, if ever, the RV builders started dealing with this problem?
You might want to look at a a side radiator coach. Much easier access to the radiator and engine for maintenance. You can find some nice used coaches for less than $100K. We paid less than $50K for our Dynasty.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
It is not that the radiator fins are necessarily PLUGGED but get coated with a thin layer of dirt (road grime) which starts acting as an insulation between the cooing fins and air passing through them. Try to imagine how much dirt, grime would be on outside of the MH if it was never washed in 50,000 miles or even 14,000 you have had it.

Granted, some radiator systems are easier to clean than others but all need to rinsed out occasionally.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
If you do decide to upgrade, take a look at a side rad coach. On the Newmar Dutch Star, my radiator is stacked instead of sandwiched which makes it thinner and easier to clean.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Look for used coaches with a side radiator and at least an 8.3L engine.
Dennis gave you a great recommendation. Look at 2000-2009 Monaco Dynasty, Windsor, or Camelot.
I also agree with Dan, a used Dutch Star or Mountain Aire with a side radiator would also be very nice.
There are several others out there: Tiffin, American Coach, Travel Supreme (these are hidden gems), and Country Coach are all great as long as they have a side radiator and are not equipped with the small 5.9L Cummins ISB or Cat 3126/C7. (Almost always, the small ISB and C7 will be in rear radiator coaches.)
Look for a Spartan, Roadmaster, or Dynomax chassis over a Freightliner.
If you find something you like but it's too expensive, just drop back a few model years.
Look nationwide.
Hope this helps!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating, journey