Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
DXK

Just bought a 99 American Eagle anything I should know?

Hello all,
I just became a first time home owner, my home of choice a 1999 Fleetwood American Eagle EVS. Although I grew up camping with my folks in several different trailers and motorhomes over the years this will be the first I call my own. I will be full-timing it for the next 3-4 years in states like Wyoming, Montana, Utah, and Colorado. I am open to any and all advise about approaching the life of a full time RV'er.
I would especially love any tips or warnings about the specific model of RV that I have acquired.

Cheers!

- DXK
DXK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #2

Well, I am not objective about these Eagles, but congratulations on choosing what I consider to be an excellent coach.

The only advice I can give is to weigh the coach with full fuel, full fresh water and full propane and set your tire air pressures per the tire manufacturer's chart.

You will find that the 99 Eagle is really one big "Easy Button" to operate and maintain.

Now for some tips:

-Buy some 303 Aerospace and use it to maintain all your vinyl interior, exterior decals, slide seals and leather furniture. This is truly "sunscreen for your stuff" and keeps everything new and fresh. I also use it on the steering wheel, steering column, rocker switches etc.

-Buy some Boeshield T-9 Aerospace. This is an amazing product that will lubricate and prevent corrosion. I use it on the engine, and coat the areas below the cargo doors on the underside of the coach. It is also a good lubricant for the Pac-Brake and the steps.

-Get your favorite wax ( I prefer Meguiars Cleaner/Wax) and hand wax the coach twice a year. After doing this you can generally rinse it with water and dry it without using any soap and it will stay clean as a whistle.

-All of the products above can be found at any marine retailer. I discovered this products during 20 years of boat ownership in S. Florida.

-Take your Eagle to the nearest Speedco for servicing and an oil analysis. This will give you peace of mind and fresh fluids and filters plus a base line for how the engine is doing. Not expensive and very convenient (no appt. in and out in an hour).

A properly aligned and ride height adjusted Eagle should track down the highway like a lead ball, very resistant to cross-winds and the "bow waves" of semi's and buses. You literally should have no play in the steering wheel and just have to hold onto the steering wheel during Interstate highway travel. If your Eagle does not handle this way have an alignment and ride height adjustment made by a heavy truck shop.

Find out what type of coolant you have....if it is extended life that does not require SCA's it will likely be a color other than green. IF it is green Speedco will check your SCA's and install the appropriate water filter for you and add additional if needed. Your engine is wet lined and needs either the extended life coolant or SCA's to prevent cavitation damage to the cylinder liners.

Enjoy!

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote